Got a Reality Check Today

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
That's not what savagegeese, the straightpipes and Throttlehouse said about the Corolla CVT. All three say it's the best one they have ever driven. But I get your point
The driving experience is good. What I am trying to say is the transmission part is controlled by computer and in manual a person controls it and raise an engine to peak power point in every shift if he wants best speeds from the car. Also, the post mentioned civic CVT which is almost 30HP less than Si and less torque than stock Si. Civics are not a raw power/sports car except type R and little Si ;)
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
The driving experience is good. What I am trying to say is the transmission part is controlled by computer and in manual a person controls it and raise an engine to peak power point in every shift if he wants best speeds from the car. Also, the post mentioned civic CVT which is almost 30HP less than Si and less torque than stock Si. Civics are not a raw power/sports car except type R and little Si ;)
I know what you meant! :)

Amazon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS
Country flag
To the OP. Get a tune at least before trying to keep up with those fast cars and maybe a clutch too.
Even with better clutch, full bolt ons and a tune, he's still not going to keep up with a GTO. If you want to play with the fast cars, its better to get a car that's already decently quick like the Ecoboost Mustang, Golf R, Focus RS, Type R, etc) and modify it.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Even with better clutch, full bolt ons and a tune, he's still not going to keep up with a GTO. If you want to play with the fast cars, its better to get a car that's already decently quick like the Ecoboost Mustang, Golf R, Focus RS, Type R, etc) and modify it.
You'll be surprised! There is a guy on this forum that had modded his Civic to the point where he was smoking almost everything. Unfortunately, his engine went Kboom! I guess to your point, it's always best to just buy a high performance car in the first place, because the amount of time and money he put in it, he probably would have been better off going that route

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Ok here’s one for you it just so happened today as I was sitting at a traffic light on a 3 lane highway
A kid with his black civic sport coupe pulled up next to me I had the windows down sunroof open. The light turned green we both nailed it my car pulled away ( surprisingly what 16 more horsepower can do )
As we came to the next light he said to me is that the Turbo model I said yes and also add that the SI has 30 more horsepower over my car so don’t mess with a SI either

Amazon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS
Country flag
You'll be surprised! There is a guy on this forum that had modded his Civic to the point where he was smoking almost everything. Unfortunately, his engine went Kboom! I guess to your point, it's always best to just buy a high performance car in the first place, because the amount of time and money he put in it, he probably would have been better off going that route
Smoking almost everything, so beware family sedans, crossovers and SUV's? I jest, but such claims are rather dubious to me unless he installed a bigger turbo, in which case he likely spent more on his car than he would have by just getting a faster car instead of overextending the limits of his engine.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Smoking almost everything, so beware family sedans, crossovers and SUV's? I jest, but such claims are rather dubious to me unless he installed a bigger turbo, in which case he likely spent more on his car than he would have by just getting a faster car instead of overextending the limits of his engine.
No, he used to post his videos of it on this forum, so we saw the cars he smoked. Everything from STI's to BMW M3's. Everything but the most powerful V8's. Tons of people here used to chastise him for racing, I'm sure a few will weigh in. He did everything but install a bigger turbo. He had full bolt-ons including aftermarket airbox, flex-fuel kit (he was running anywhere from E40 to full E85) and a stage 2 clutch as well as a custom tune. The problem was he did not build his block, so he eventually threw his rods after almost a year of racing. Lookup posts by JDMpo0kie . Now he has a new engine, but he is only tuned with TSP Stage 1

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Ok here’s one for you it just so happened today as I was sitting at a traffic light on a 3 lane highway
A kid with his black civic sport coupe pulled up next to me I had the windows down sunroof open. The light turned green we both nailed it my car pulled away ( surprisingly what 16 more horsepower can do )
As we came to the next light he said to me is that the Turbo model I said yes and also add that the SI has 30 more horsepower over my car so don’t mess with a SI either
Off the line, it's not so much the higher hp (although it helps), it's the gobs of torque you have compared to the 2.0 engine.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Off the line, it's not so much the higher hp (although it helps), it's the gobs of torque you have compared to the 2.0 engine.
True I tend to forget that part

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the SI like the R was not built with straight line speed in mind.
Take that GTO to the canyons then you’ll appreciate the SI a bit more.

We aren’t beating any muscle in a straight line stock.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
This may be slightly off subject because I have a 1.5T CVT non-Si with the TSP Stage 1...

I don't race cars off the line so I can't speak to that. But I will tell you this... from 60-100 mph my car has surprised many "sportier" cars that couldn't beat me. Things like a GTI, WRX and some larger V6 powered cars. I'm not saying my car is a rocket, but on the highway, it has some real grunt.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, i did say, trying to keep up. Didn't say he would ne able to. But your point is valid about buying something a little more potent.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you go back in time say 1986 the mustang GT and Camaro IROC Z28 both had five liter engines ( ford technically a 4.9 liter) ford with sesquicentennial fuel injunction and Chevy with tune port injunction and obc1
And five speed standard. Both put out 200 horsepower and 230 ish foot pounds of torque. AT THE TIME both car did around 6.0 sec 0-60 and mid 14 to low 14s in the quarter mile and AT THE TIME these cars were fast
NOW A 1.5 liter Turbo engine is doing the same and with better gas mileage ( yes I understand the construction of cars involved is different) yes it took time for a civic to get to the yesteryears pony cars
But they did it with a smaller engine to boot
Btw the paint on a 86 mustang was thin too :yes:

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
I had the same experience two weeks before I bought my Type-R. Ford Explorer ST handed me my ass on a straightaway. I kept up, a little. My Si was a great car, but any illusions I had were shattered quickly. :)

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Before you go throwing a bunch of mods at your Si, you should ask yourself what you want out of the car. If you want to be able to wax mustangs, camaros and GTO's on the highway, you're better off upgrading to a more powerful car. There are plenty of options available. Realize that the civic Si is a 200hp econo-sport car. Even calling it a "sport car" in that sense is a bit of an overstatement, its "sporty", not a sport car.

Just be real with yourself. Dont try to make this car something its not, because the more you put into it in terms of mods, the more attached to it you will become. You could drop 5k in mods on the car and still not even push past the 350 hp mark.
Sponsored