redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I'm thinking about buying the Enkei TS10’s 18x8 (I want to retain stock wheels) and one of the options was whether or not to buy a new TPMS system. I’d like to retain the old one if possible because it has less than 10k on the original rim and tires, but I’ve heard it’s a good idea to get new TPMS with new wheels because of the sealant used.

Has anyone used their old TPMS with new wheels? Or is it just recommended to go brand new? Thanks!
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
We don't have the traditional TPMS sensors inside the wheel. No need to purchase at all. Just reset (calibrate) the system after your new install.

Last edited:

EconoBox

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just like gtman said this system doesn't actually use a sensor in each wheel. You'll just need to calibrate the system once you change your setup.

Honda Civic 10th gen Old or New TPMS with new wheels? TPMS.PNG

EconoBox

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And how to calibrate the system once you get those new wheels.

Honda Civic 10th gen Old or New TPMS with new wheels? tpmscalibration.PNG

Honda Civic 10th gen Old or New TPMS with new wheels? tpmscalibration2.PNG

Honda Civic 10th gen Old or New TPMS with new wheels? tpmscalibration3.PNG

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm thinking about buying the Enkei TS10’s 18x8 (I want to retain stock wheels) and one of the options was whether or not to buy a new TPMS system. I’d like to retain the old one if possible because it has less than 10k on the original rim and tires, but I’ve heard it’s a good idea to get new TPMS with new wheels because of the sealant used.

Has anyone used their old TPMS with new wheels? Or is it just recommended to go brand new? Thanks!
The TPMS for the GenX Civics is done by the cars computer, comparing the number of rotations each wheel makes.
As the tire goes flat, it effectively reduces the diameter of the tire ... and thus, increases the rate that it rotates.
The computer compares the number of rotations the deflating tire makes, with the number of rotations the other tires are making.
Once the discrepancy exceeds a predetermined threshold, the computer alerts you of a tire going flat.

I hope this helps your understanding.

OP
OP
redcivic19x

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just like gtman said this system doesn't actually use a sensor in each wheel. You'll just need to calibrate the system once you change your setup.

TPMS.PNG
The TPMS for the GenX Civics is done by the cars computer, comparing the number of rotations each wheel makes.
As the tire goes flat, it effectively reduces the diameter of the tire ... and thus, increases the rate that it rotates.
The computer compares the number of rotations the deflating tire makes, with the number of rotations the other tires are making.
Once the discrepancy exceeds a predetermined threshold, the computer alerts you of a tire going flat.

I hope this helps your understanding.
We don't have the traditional TPMS sensors inside the wheel. No need to purchase at all. Just reset (calibrate) the system after your new install.
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that responded so quickly. You guys just helped save me $150. Definitely good info to know.

Anything else I should keep in mind when it comes to buying new wheels for the 10th gen?

EconoBox

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that responded so quickly. You guys just helped save me $150. Definitely good info to know.

Anything else I should keep in mind when it comes to buying new wheels for the 10th gen?
Just look around the wheel threads to get ideas for sizes. Don't go too crazy and you can fit some pretty nice wheel and tire sizes without rubbing or hacking up the car.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Since you mentioned wanting to buy 18x8 wheels, I'd say also go for OEM tire size, 235/40r18, for your new wheels. I'd recommend staying in the +35-50 range for wheel offset. OEM wheels are +50.

OP
OP
redcivic19x

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Since you mentioned wanting to buy 18x8 wheels, I'd say also go for OEM tire size, 235/40r18, for your new wheels. I'd recommend staying in the +35-50 range for wheel offset. OEM wheels are +50.
Yea once I have some more mileage (and money) I’m going to upgrade the tires and go with the same size. I don’t want to do anything crazy because it’s my daily driver and want to keep exact OEM sizes if possible. Oh ok good, the TS10s are +50

OP
OP
redcivic19x

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Will I need aftermarket lug nuts?

EconoBox

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Will I need aftermarket lug nuts?
Yes, you will need aftermarket lug nuts. The oem lug nuts are a ball seat type and Enkeis will use "tuner" lugs. Which are 60 degree tapered seat. Muteki makes a nice steel closed end set that I've had good experiences with.

I would also recommend getting hub centric rings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
redcivic19x

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, you will need aftermarket lug nuts. The oem lug nuts are a ball seat type and Enkeis will use "tuner" lugs. Which are 60 degree tapered seat. Muteki makes a nice steel closed end set that I've had good experiences with.

I would also recommend getting hub centric rings.
Thank you for the suggestion! I figured I wouldn't need the hub centric rings since the wheel was the same size as oem. But I definitely don't want any shaky vibrations going to my wheel so I'll definitely get them if you think they will help. Any idea what size rings I'd need?

EconoBox

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you for the suggestion! I figured I wouldn't need the hub centric rings since the wheel was the same size as oem. But I definitely don't want any shaky vibrations going to my wheel so I'll definitely get them if you think they will help. Any idea what size rings I'd need?
You can do more research into hub centric vs lug centric if you want. Basically you want the wheel centered to the hub and the load of the wheel to be shared with the hub and lug nuts not just relying on lug nuts to do all of the work. But hub centric rings are cheap and make the aftermarket wheels fit to the hub like the OEM wheels.

Civic is 64.1mm center bore, Enkei TS-10 is 72.6mm center bore.

OP
OP
redcivic19x

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You can do more research into hub centric vs lug centric if you want. Basically you want the wheel centered to the hub and the load of the wheel to be shared with the hub and lug nuts not just relying on lug nuts to do all of the work. But hub centric rings are cheap and make the aftermarket wheels fit to the hub like the OEM wheels.

Civic is 64.1mm center bore, Enkei TS-10 is 72.6mm center bore.
Oh okay so I would need a 8.5 mm ring, correct?