Instrument/Gauge Cluster???

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (Boost Blue)
Country flag
So I've talked with people (outside of the forums) who claim to know Honda like the back of their hand.
And I've literally spent hours scouring these forums for answers on this.

Some threads I've read say "Yes, it's a direct swap, no dealer visit required."
Some threads say "a dealer visit is required."
So a lot of conflicting information I'm getting.

So for anyone here with real-world, actual first-hand confirmation on this, my questions are:

1. If I were to remove my instrument/gauge cluster, and then install a new one, what exactly will happen?
2. Will it be as simple as plug it in and you're ready to go?
3. What will happen with the odometer, (will it show at your cars actual mileage, or show back at zero)?
4. Will all the gauges and readings still function, etc?
5. Basically can this be done DIY, or will it absolutely 100% have to be programmed at the dealer?
Sponsored

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
What are you trying to do? Install some aftermarket gauge cluster? Or replace a broken one with a new OEM one?

OP
OP
sgtmorph

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (Boost Blue)
Country flag
What are you trying to do? Install some aftermarket gauge cluster? Or replace a broken one with a new OEM one?
Replace it with the same factory OEM one.
A relative asked if I would replace it for them to save on labor costs.

Last edited:

vethekim

First Name
hakan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
my car honda civic hatchback. The 7 inch multimedia screen is broken and did not work.
The new unit was replaced at the dealer under warranty. however, the product was not plug and play. It initially calibrates and requests coding.
my dealer couldn't start my new unit because they were doing it for the first time. I introduced it myself.Honda didn't even know the password. unit manufacturer mitsubishi elec. After 2 weeks, he gave a special password matching the unit part code.
I even got the special code of the unit. Since the system is anti-theft, it initially writes the vehicle vin code inside the unit.
To use a previously used dashboard in another vehicle, you need to enter the special password code (separately for each). If you are installing a zero OEM instrument panel, it does not require a password, but requires calibration. I don't think you can do this yourself. not just plug and play! ...
Since the ECU has not changed, it will probably show the original miles / km information (I'm guessing).

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any odo will have to be programmed manually. This is not something that is stored in the ECU so far as I know, otherwise you will have to report the car as mileage unknown on the reg/title. Looks like you can get a speedo shop to do it for you if the dealer can't. Either they pull the chip that stores the mileage and swap it over or they use a programming tool to adjust it to match yours.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Any odo will have to be programmed manually. This is not something that is stored in the ECU so far as I know, otherwise you will have to report the car as mileage unknown on the reg/title. Looks like you can get a speedo shop to do it for you if the dealer can't. Either they pull the chip that stores the mileage and swap it over or they use a programming tool to adjust it to match yours.
Can't speak for Honda, but I know for a fact some ECU's also store the mileage separate from the cluster, more then a few odometer roll back/cluster swap scams have been busted over the years because of this. Samcrac talks about a BMW where this happened somewhere in the second half of this video

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Odometer is stored in multiple locations such as the unit itself, ECM, and BCM. It's probably easier to rebuild a motor than go through this.

Good luck

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
So I've talked with people (outside of the forums) who claim to know Honda like the back of their hand.

So for anyone here with real-world, actual first-hand confirmation on this, my questions are:

1. If I were to remove my instrument/gauge cluster, and then install a new one, what exactly will happen?
3. What will happen with the odometer, (will it show at your cars actual mileage, or show back at zero)?
5. Basically can this be done DIY, or will it absolutely 100% have to be programmed at the dealer?
How did you attemp go? Could you remove it and replace it?

ElGateKeeper

First Name
Ulises
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Manual
Country flag

How did it get done?

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
here you go & hope it helps :
for CVT to CVT np it works. CVT to MT you will need need the MT gauge cluster or else you will get this :
Honda Civic 10th gen Instrument/Gauge Cluster??? 1611499400230

Non Si- to Si everything works except RPM tach needle, not sure why still figuring it out will test it when i have time like this.

odo will follow the cluster what it had, needs HDS to do change the mileage.
appreciate a like & follow on my fb page :)

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Si Swap
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
here you go & hope it helps :
for CVT to CVT np it works. CVT to MT you will need need the MT gauge cluster or else you will get this :
1611499400230.png

Non Si- to Si everything works except RPM tach needle, not sure why still figuring it out will test it when i have time like this.

odo will follow the cluster what it had, needs HDS to do change the mileage.
appreciate a like & follow on my fb page :)

Did you ever figure out on a non-Si MT to an Si MT what is causing RPM to not display? Doing this swap and I will be ordering an OEM dash cluster from a Si.

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Did you ever figure out on a non-Si MT to an Si MT what is causing RPM to not display? Doing this swap and I will be ordering an OEM dash cluster from a Si.
i may have but i did not proceed further but you can use a non Si cluster & it will work nicely.

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Si Swap
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i may have but i did not proceed further but you can use a non Si cluster & it will work nicely.
I have the 2020 Sport Hatch 6-speed, and I want the Si cluster to complete the look. It appears that CMBS off and ECO mode are the two main concerns according to the wiring diagram. Guess I'll figure out as I complete it lol.
Sponsored