cp3297

First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
Hey all, first post on a car forum, or really anywhere in general.

I'm a first time car buyer looking to leave a hand me down Chevrolet Equinox which will cost it's own market value ($3,000) or more to fix because it burns too much oil.

My heart, mind, and soul has been set on a Civic Type R for some time but in the near future (about ~3 weeks) saving for one, let alone purchasing one is unlikely.

My price range is limited to $20-28k, conservatively, because I have a few things backing my new purchase. (Just not a $38,000 car...)

So, I've looked at the standard Civic, the Civic Sport, and the Civic Si.

I want a fun car, the way the Type R is marketed, so I'm learning toward the Sport or the Si.

I was wondering a few things:
1) What is the standard transmission in the Civic Sport/Civic Si like?
(I've previously driven standard a handful of times where it was a Civic S Type with a very short 1st gear, so I found it difficult to get moving, but easy to use otherwise- also, I hear that standard transmission cars may have fewer issues and significantly lighter than automatic in the long-term)

2) What it it like to daily drive the Civic /Civic Sport/ Civic Si?

3) What about creature comforts standard with the higher trim levels? (Is there something I'm missing if I get a base Civic Sport that a Civic LX or EX would have standard?)

4) As a first time car buyer looking at what I think is an incredibly practical model of vehicle, what are your thoughts in general about purchasing a new civic (which I will likely drive to 200,000 miles) vs. any other competition?

Please tell me what you think.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Based on everything you posted, get a 2020 Si. Great handling, good power, great mpgs, reliable, excellent amenities and safety features. And the manual is easy to drive / has hill start assist.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe 2019 Pilot EX-L
Country flag

I'm a first time car buyer looking to leave a hand me down Chevrolet Equinox which will cost it's own market value ($3,000) or more to fix because it burns too much oil.

My heart, mind, and soul has been set on a Civic Type R for some time but in the near future (about ~3 weeks) saving for one, let alone purchasing one is unlikely.

My price range is limited to $20-28k, conservatively, because I have a few things backing my new purchase. (Just not a $38,000 car...)

I want a fun car, the way the Type R is marketed, so I'm learning toward the Sport or the Si.

(I've previously driven standard a handful of times where it was a Civic S Type with a very short 1st gear, so I found it difficult to get moving, but easy to use otherwise- also, I hear that standard transmission cars may have fewer issues and significantly lighter than automatic in the long-term)

3) What about creature comforts standard with the higher trim levels? (Is there something I'm missing if I get a base Civic Sport that a Civic LX or EX would have standard?)

4) As a first time car buyer looking at what I think is an incredibly practical model of vehicle, what are your thoughts in general about purchasing a new civic (which I will likely drive to 200,000 miles) vs. any other competition?

What others have said. If you want a manual and a quick, fun car; go with the Si. The 6 speed gearbox is super easy to master. I personally would not get an LX. Sport will get you remote start and Apple Carplay, but if you want things like sunroof and heated seats, get an EX-T or Si. Plus the Si is such a great combo of fun and good MPG, plus daily driving is comfy.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
Based on everything you posted, get a 2020 Si. Great handling, good power, great mpgs, reliable, excellent amenities and safety features. And the manual is easy to drive / has hill start assist.
I agree, the Si sounds like the right fit.

@OP - re: amenities available in the different models - the Si has most of the popular features, and the 2020 adds a couple more (LED headlights and Honda's "Sensing" safety suite). Versus the Sport Touring (highest level trim), you're missing out on leather, power front seats, navigation, and a slightly fancier stereo (540W/12 speakers versus 450W/10 speakers). You also have the option of an automatic transmission (CVT, technically) while the Si is only available as a 6-speed manual. But the Si also offers a couple things that aren't available on any other models, like sport mode, adaptive dampers, and a unique interior treatment.

From my perspective: the Si offers everything I care about. Navigation is irrelevant to me, since the Si has Apple Carplay. I'm not interested in leather. The power seats would be nice, but imo that isn't critically important.

Another factor you may want to consider is body style. Civics are available as sedans, coupes, and hatchbacks. But the Si is only available as a coupe or sedan - so it's out of the running if you really want a hatchback.

OP
OP

cp3297

First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
Thanks for the suggestions.
@MaxPower I thin what you said about leather/heated seats may become important to me in the future if I want the thing to last 200,000 miles so I'm probably going to consider that when I go to visit a dealer.
Body style too, is a concern because while the Type R has a divisive style, the hatch version of the civic in general is almost improved by the wing -- with the Si, I still can't decide about that one.

@Riced_Lightening Excellent. I need a daily driver for 40+ miles a day for work, and this is a must.

@Sportfk7turbo I do enjoy a manual but still have limited experience with stopping and going so that's going to be a heavy consideration. Just checked my local dealer and I suppose if I'm going for a car to last me 200,000 miles before it breaks or repairs cost too much, maybe a manual transmission isn't the way for me. There is however a 2019 type R sitting in their inventory still....

@gtman Thanks for the extra input :)

Does anyone know if it also has Android Auto? Samsung fan here... no mention of it at all.

Miro

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si, 2016 Pilot (wife's)
Country flag
@Sportfk7turbo I do enjoy a manual but still have limited experience with stopping and going so that's going to be a heavy consideration. Just checked my local dealer and I suppose if I'm going for a car to last me 200,000 miles before it breaks or repairs cost too much, maybe a manual transmission isn't the way for me. There is however a 2019 type R sitting in their inventory still....

Does anyone know if it also has Android Auto? Samsung fan here... no mention of it at all.
A manual is going to be cheaper to maintain over the long-run than a CVT so you may want to reconsider your first point there.

Android Auto and Apple Carplay are available on both the Sport and Si.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
How much oil does it burn? If it is more than a quart per fill up then I feel your pain. If not, keep topping it off and save up for a Type R. I had a 2016 Si before my Type R. Both amazing and fun cars but the Type R does live up to the hype. They have been holding their value better than the average car so just tell yourself that to justify the price :headbang:

OP
OP

cp3297

First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
How much oil does it burn? If it is more than a quart per fill up then I feel your pain. If not, keep topping it off and save up for a Type R. I had a 2016 Si before my Type R. Both amazing and fun cars but the Type R does live up to the hype. They have been holding their value better than the average car so just tell yourself that to justify the price :headbang:
600 miles per quart as it turns out...

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag

Just some practical considerations if this is going to be your daily driver/commuter and you are anticipating driving it for 200k

The Si & CTR use premium fuel (where I live .60 a gal more)
Both use a tire size that is quite expensive, the CTR more so (figure on $1000+ for a smaller size wheel set, even 18" quality tires are spendy)
Consider a EX trim level w/CVT, its 174hp, works well with the auto and gets fantastic mpg with 87 octane (yes, Toptier fuel is better)
It has the amenities you want, heated seats, upgraded stereo/XM, etc, uses tires that are significantly less expensive.
If you're concerned with longevity, you can get a Hondacare package for about $1000-1200 that covers pretty much anything to 120k, use a quality synthetic oil & filter and change every 5-7.5k and change the CVT fluid more often.
I've had a 2016 EXL and have a 2019 Touring, both trouble-free, plenty of power on the highway, quiet and comfortable.
Honda makes great manuals, great performance, but in terms of longevity and cost of operating, crunch the #'s, and at least look at an EX.
Yes, I have been accused of being overly pragmatic, I'll own that.
Things I dislike about my Touring: 18" wheels, automatic rain-sensing wipers that can't be switched off. If I had it to do over, probably would have gone with the EX, wanted the leather and nav, but could live without them.
Again, just some practical ruminations on your dilemma.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
I think this is a marketing information gathering.
I think you should go to a Honda dealer, look around at all the Civics and drive one - it’s FREE.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Neither the Si nor the Type R "Require" premium - you'll have a slight drop in performance with 87 or 89 but no other issues.
Quite true, but if you're paying for a "performance" car that reccomends you use it, seems like you are setting for less than you paid for. I ran 93 in my Touring for 2500 miles to see if it made a difference in an engine set up for 87, other than a tad more smoothness and slightly less mileage, certainly not worth .60 cents a gallon more. Thinking an SI or CTR that's set up for at least 91, there might be more of a noticeable difference.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Quite true, but if you're paying for a "performance" car that reccomends you use it, seems like you are setting for less than you paid for. I ran 93 in my Touring for 2500 miles to see if it made a difference in an engine set up for 87, other than a tad more smoothness and slightly less mileage, certainly not worth .60 cents a gallon more. Thinking an SI or CTR that's set up for at least 91, there might be more of a noticeable difference.
The 3% bump in HP isn't worth a 25% bump in cost for premium. Unless you're using a tuner and FBO, I just think of it as driving a much better version of the Civic AND using the savings to get FREE maintenance for life with the savings.

1Texan

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX Sedan CBP
Country flag
The 3% bump in HP isn't worth a 25% bump in cost for premium. Unless you're using a tuner and FBO, I just think of it as driving a much better version of the Civic AND using the savings to get FREE maintenance for life with the savings.
I don't see it as a 3% bump in HP, rather the car not running at peak performance. Just to save a few bucks?

cos999

First Name
CA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX,2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
Country flag
I second Frank's advice to get a HondaCare warranty. I am a new Civic owner for the first time after owning Pilots and Accords for many years so just joined this forum. I highly recommend the HONDA CARE warranty and get it before you get to 6000 miles (and < 1 year ownership), as you can get 7 years 120k miles (vs 3 yr/36 that comes for free). After 6000 miles costs go up and length of available warranty comes down. There are a couple of Honda dealers online who sell it much cheaper than any other dealer does and I used Hyannis Honda and Sean was a huge help in understanding my options as I was over 6000 miles and at 1 year of ownership.
Sponsored