Rooted Stock headunit- What's your setup (apps)

bobbyr

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
To reset do you just factory default the head unit? I installed Google Play Services and feel the bog, hoping to reset and just download minimal apps
That's what I did. When I re-installed the hack I used the same original code I received in email.
Sponsored

dsegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Pilot, 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring MT6
Country flag
If I want to install an app I paid for do I need to install Google Play services? Or is there some way to download an APK for an app I paid for?

boinam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring Hatch
Country flag
If I want to install an app I paid for do I need to install Google Play services? Or is there some way to download an APK for an app I paid for?
You can install the app on your phone, use an apk extractor to get the apk file for said app, then use that apk file to install the app on your headunit.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I must be missing something here. 2018 Civic, performed the web based hack, but am having issues installing some apps. V4A has the install button grayed out and when trying to install SuperSU/Busybox, it's saying I'm not rooted properly?
Maybe its a HONDA "HACK" and not so much a HONDA "Root".

Honda has a whitelist system, that stops you installing additional apps onto your Honda Head Unit.
My understanding is that Honda Hack "Hacks" that whitelist system, to allow Honda Hack to install additional apps.

I am not so sure that it is actually specifically ROOTING you unit -- its just defeating the Honda Protection that is stopping you from being able to install the typical apps that you can normally install on your phone.

But maybe once you are Honda Hacked, (If you really need to) then you can install a ROOTING App that will ROOT your system, so you can run SuperSU/Busybox.

For most, the Goal is to be able to install additional Apps,( Like maybe a decently featured Mp3 Player) but not necessarily go as far as ROOTING the system, and gaining SU control.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
You can install the app on your phone, use an apk extractor to get the apk file for said app, then use that apk file to install the app on your headunit.
That is exactly what I do .. the less Google Play Services type stuff you load onto your Honda Unit, the better it will run,

boinam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring Hatch
Country flag
Maybe its a HONDA "HACK" and not so much a HONDA "Root".

Honda has a whitelist system, that stops you installing additional apps onto your Honda Head Unit.
My understanding is that Honda Hack "Hacks" that whitelist system, to allow Honda Hack to install additional apps.

I am not so sure that it is actually specifically ROOTING you unit -- its just defeating the Honda Protection that is stopping you from being able to install the typical apps that you can normally install on your phone.

But maybe once you are Honda Hacked, (If you really need to) then you can install a ROOTING App that will ROOT your system, so you can run SuperSU/Busybox.

For most, the Goal is to be able to install additional Apps,( Like maybe a decently featured Mp3 Player) but not necessarily go as far as ROOTING the system, and gaining SU control.
It ended up working after some time. May have taken a few factory resets and a few more attempts at the Honda Hack, but all good in the end. From my experience, applying the Honda Hack is actually rooting the HU, especially since I now have root access without the need for any additional apps.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It ended up working after some time. May have taken a few factory resets and a few more attempts at the Honda Hack, but all good in the end. From my experience, applying the Honda Hack is actually rooting the HU, especially since I now have root access without the need for any additional apps.
Thanks,, it's never really been clear to me if Honda hack actually does a formal ROOT, to give ROOT access, or just defects the Honda White-list system .. still not 100% convinced either way .. Maybe I should directly ask the Developer to get a definitive answer.

boinam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring Hatch
Country flag

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but here it goes:
I am specifically looking for an app I can install on my touchscreen, (I already have honda hack installed, so looking for an apk app/file I can use), What I want this app to do is connect to an OBDII device either through bluetooth or wifi and be able to see the car's data (IAT temps, afr, MAP, etc.)
I do not have ktuner or hondata, I am trying to see if there is something out there that can do this without either of these. I know my OBDII can connect to my phone through an app, so why not through the android interface on my car.

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but here it goes:
I am specifically looking for an app I can install on my touchscreen, (I already have honda hack installed, so looking for an apk app/file I can use), What I want this app to do is connect to an OBDII device either through bluetooth or wifi and be able to see the car's data (IAT temps, afr, MAP, etc.)
I do not have ktuner or hondata, I am trying to see if there is something out there that can do this without either of these. I know my OBDII can connect to my phone through an app, so why not through the android interface on my car.
You can do that with the Torque app and a WiFi obdii device. You can’t use a Bluetooth one because you can only pair a phone to the head unit even though it’s rooted.

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
You can do that with the Torque app and a WiFi obdii device. You can’t use a Bluetooth one because you can only pair a phone to the head unit even though it’s rooted.
For some reason it won't let me add engine temps, IAT, etc. Its very limited compared to the app I have on my phone which allows more PIDs.

ChefFaz84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si sedan(fc1)
Country flag
Has anyone on here successful installed the paid 7.99 hondata v1.4.2 app to there Honda hacked head unit? I've been trying for weeks and searching and researching all over the forum and internet and can't find any answers to this. I have it on my phone, extracted it to an sd card in.which I then moved it to my laptop and sent it to my thumb drive and it won't install. I think it's an Android version issue but can't find an answer for that either on how to.update the software from 4.2 to 4.4 or finding an older version of the app that will work on 4.2, please help. Thanks in advanced

GutlessGnat

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I am going to revive this old thread from last year because I have been messing with this a lot. It seems that we need a good repository for apps that are 4.2 compatible and don't rely on google play services.

So far I have a small collection of apps that run from John gba and john snes to plex and vlc etc etc.

I know there are more apps that run just fine. Just having to sort through and find the proper versions is a pain. Maybe if I get a chance this weekend I'll open up a file share site for all of the tested working apps. Would make a lot of these general questions go away.

GutlessGnat

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag