Hit a pothole and got a flat. What should i do?

liftandsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
I just hit a huge pothole on the highway and my tire is flat and destroyed. I only have about 7k miles on this car :(.
Should i use Honda's roadside assistance and get it towed to a Honda dealership and have them take a look at it and fix it?

or should I take it to a Goodyear near me and just have the tire replaced? Anything else I should be looking for?
Sponsored

DRuby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
Can't drive it to Goodyear so that will cost a flat-bed tow.
Honda tow is n/c.
Maybe a small difference in the end.
Price a new tire online. Mavis if in your area or Costco if you're a member.
A guideline for bargaining with Honda.
Also, if the wheel is shot, it might be covered by insurance. I didn't buy the Honda wheel coverage since my policy covers that. I'll eat the tire cost.

Last edited:

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Call Honda and curse them out for not including a donut in the trunk from the factory.

AAA is a good, cheap investment. Sometimes your car insurance company will have have free tow service within a certain radius too. Never had to use Honda Roadside assistance, so not sure how that works, sorry!

OP
OP

liftandsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Just looked it up and my insurnace covers towing.

Should i get it towed to a local tire shop and have them replace it?
I only have 7k miles on the car. Is it ok to replace just the one tire?

dc0321

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback sport
Country flag
fuck the dealer.just take it to a tire shop n change it.only go to dealer when u have no choice or if u are rich n have to where to spend your money.

just came back from dealer today. tried 2 different dealers trying to fix an alignment issue.6 month old car 7k miles.they keep saying everything looks good.theres nothing they can do. they even test drove the car.the tech notice the issue but keep saying there's nothing they can do.i work for a car broker company.thats customers car.

my story. personal car, 2019 civic brand new 10 miles off the lot.got on the highway n notice the steering was not traight.took it back ,waited half a day n then the steering is pointing alittle to the opposite side.took it back.the fucking tech did a test drive with me.he was road testing the car in a shopping mile parking lot doing 10 mph n tell me it's perfectly straight.i told him ok. if u say it's good then it's good.so abvious that he don't wanna redo it.a week later the dealer called me and ask for a feed back review n give rating. I told her the whole story.so again fuck the dealer.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

7k isn't that many miles, but I personally only replace tires in pairs or all 4 at once.

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
I would just replace the tire. You may have to wait for the tire shop to ship n exact replacement or just be like me and have 1 rear tire that's different than all the rest.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
check all other steering and suspension components. There's high chances that something might be bent or broken.

hogar_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jetta 2.5 2019 Civic si
Country flag
You can actually buy good used tires online with the same tread depth, no need to buy new in my opinion.

Maxum

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
Ton of potholes here where I live, so I always get the tire and wheel warranty with the car for a full 5 years. One bent rim and it's paid for itself!

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
If you popped the front tire make sure to rotate your wheels after you get the new tire so that the new one is put on either side on the back. I had to replace a tire after 5k miles because of a bubble in the sidewall and the dealership didn't rotate the new tire to the back so on my way home it kept pulling really bad to the side that had the new tire because it had more grip. Took it right back to have them rotate it and drove straight as an arrow afterwards.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
I just hit a huge pothole on the highway and my tire is flat and destroyed. I only have about 7k miles on this car :(.
Should i use Honda's roadside assistance and get it towed to a Honda dealership and have them take a look at it and fix it?

or should I take it to a Goodyear near me and just have the tire replaced? Anything else I should be looking for?
It may be too late to say this and even a bit asshole to point out, if you had just paid the extra $400 or whatever for the tire and rim replacement package you wouldn't be asking us anything right now. :p That's another thing I forgot to mention I added to my car purchase..

Snidely

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 civic si
Country flag
If you have a discount tire near you, you can insure your tires for about $15 a piece. It'll cover replacement for the life of the tire. Even if you didn't get your tires there, they will cover them if they are new

lunarsilver

Lunarsilver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag

Get 2 new tires, they'll put the news ones on rear. Should always get tires in 2s at least.
Sponsored