Evo_s4

First Name
Aye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW M3
Country flag
Nice work dude, one of the reason that preventing me to get a Type R is lack of the 5 seat
Sponsored

OP
OP

95PreludeSi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2005 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Country flag
I agree on insurance having an issue with it. It is a risk I’m taking.

However, I disagree “the car wasn’t designed for it.” It’s a standard 5 door hatch under the skin. It was designed for it.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I agree on insurance having an issue with it. It is a risk I’m taking.

However, I disagree “the car wasn’t designed for it.” It’s a standard 5 door hatch under the skin. It was designed for it.
Honda has a different load rating for the Type R than the normal hatchback, so although it's a normal 5 door hatch under the skin, it has a different suspension system and tire setup that may not be equipped (as a combo) for this sort of work. The fact that Honda down-rated the load capacity of the Type R by 1/5 kind of pushes this point. The bottleneck in this case isn't the chassis, it's going to be the suspension/tire setup the car has.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For those of us with 3 kids who did a hard pass on CTRs for the 2+2 arrangement... it at least opens the possibility. My 5. 7 and 9 year old wouldn’t weigh 200 combined, and my wife and I barely crack 300, so weight wouldn’t be an issue for insurance purposes. So long as a belt didn’t fail due to improper installation and create a bodily injury claim (and that’d be tragic) then you’ve done your part to do a satisfactory retrofit.

3 adults in the back of a Civic is certainly do-able but I bet there’s far more families with kids that would look to retro for the possibility to carry the whole family someplace... like Wake the Dragon... 2020!? I was the only family with 3 kids in the back on the tail of the dragon. Challenge issued.

Ouhei

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
For those of us with 3 kids who did a hard pass on CTRs for the 2+2 arrangement... it at least opens the possibility. My 5. 7 and 9 year old wouldn’t weigh 200 combined, and my wife and I barely crack 300, so weight wouldn’t be an issue for insurance purposes. So long as a belt didn’t fail due to improper installation and create a bodily injury claim (and that’d be tragic) then you’ve done your part to do a satisfactory retrofit.

3 adults in the back of a Civic is certainly do-able but I bet there’s far more families with kids that would look to retro for the possibility to carry the whole family someplace... like Wake the Dragon... 2020!? I was the only family with 3 kids in the back on the tail of the dragon. Challenge issued.
If insurance looks up the CTR and sees it’s supposed to be a 4 passenger car then you could be in trouble with them in terms of getting payment for the damages and/or any medical expenses.

I have no idea if they look all that information up, but it’s a risk for sure and not just for safety.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
If insurance looks up the CTR and sees it’s supposed to be a 4 passenger car then you could be in trouble with them in terms of getting payment for the damages and/or any medical expenses.

I have no idea if they look all that information up, but it’s a risk for sure and not just for safety.
Insurance is known for looking for discrepancies within stuff.

scottjua

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Subaru STI, 2019 SGP Civic Type R
Country flag
I actually called my insurance to ask about this... they said 100 percent no problems. I'll be doing this soon.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Center seat looks awful to sit in though.

JWXGEN

First Name
Jasmyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 R Wrangler Sport 4.0, 2017 SGP Civic Hatch EX-L
Country flag

Speaking of Wake the Dragon 2020 - is it a thing?? Can’t find anything on it for this year but would love to go (did I just not look hard enough )

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Speaking of Wake the Dragon 2020 - is it a thing?? Can’t find anything on it for this year but would love to go (did I just not look hard enough )
It’s a thing. There’s a Facebook group as well. Just a few more months!

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag

Hypnotoad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Juke, Acura TL
Country flag
Is there a source for the seats other than Ebay? This would be the only way I get into a CTR and I’m kinda sorta considering it.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice mod but, in the case of an accident, you will be screwed. Why not buy a car that was meant for 5 people in the first place.
Sponsored