Dilemma I can't Resolve - Please help

b534202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR WRX Legacy Hellcat LC500 GRC
Country flag
After I bought my CTR I had to sell my 2019 Miata. I think I see as many people complain about transmissions here as the miata forum so you're not winning by picking either of these 2. And the ND2 makes enough power for the size of the car.
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I guess I might be the outlier here, but since it is your second car, that might sway me more towards Miata as I wouldn't be worried about not having a practical car at that point since it wouldn't be my practical car. At the same time, you are on a Type R forum right now; I'm not sure if you posted these questions to a Miata forum, but if you didn't, maybe you subconsciously want to get the Type R and wanted people to confirm this. If that is the case, get the Type R.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I guess I might be the outlier here, but since it is your second car, that might sway me more towards Miata as I wouldn't be worried about not having a practical car at that point since it wouldn't be my practical car. At the same time, you are on a Type R forum right now; I'm not sure if you posted these questions to a Miata forum, but if you didn't, maybe you subconsciously want to get the Type R and wanted people to confirm this. If that is the case, get the Type R.
You would honestly pick the Miata, functionality aside, over the Type R if you drove them back to back? That's tough to believe lol. I love a lot of cars but a Miata out 'enjoying' a Type R would be hard for me to believe honestly...

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I thought the Miata wouldā€™ve been completely lacking if it didnā€™t have that 20k invested in it. I canā€™t even imagine a completely stock one. After that ownership experience, I personally thought Miata was not always the answer, contrary to popular lore.

5 minutes behind the wheel of the CTR and I was hooked. And because my CTR is daily driven, Iā€™ve kept it more or less stock and yet Iā€™m still very much satisfied with the car every time I get behind the wheel. I still love driving the CTR after 11 months of ownership.

After owning a Miata, I felt like the people who love and buy that car are all 40-45 year old men going through a mid life crisis that get thrilled by an otherwise pretty basic car that also happens to be a convertible. I was in my late 20s when I had that car as a toy car. Definitely didnā€™t fit me, I felt. That and always having to justify driving a Miata to everyone got old after awhile. The Civic on the other hand? I feel 22 years old when I get behind the wheel and yet Iā€™m now nearing being a decade older than when I owned the Miata.

Also, convertibles arenā€™t all what theyā€™re cracked up to be. If itā€™s super hot out, you can easily burn your skin. You canā€™t use it in stop and go traffic because of the heat just makes it uncomfortable to sit in. Itā€™s crazy loud at highway speeds. I dunno. Just my $0.02.

Granted, I know I had a 3rd Gen Miata but It was supercharged and putting down a similar power to weight ratio as the CTR. It just felt much less fun to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP

O Haiii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acura
Country flag
Wow thanks for all your input. It's actually amazing how much you guys know about the ND2 miata including the tranny revisions, updated engine power, 2300 lb curb weight, etc. True car enthusiasts on here. Also with the M2, yes you need turbo upgrade but to do that you have to upgrade the crappy fuel pump, and other components that gets pretty extensive.

In regards to driving both cars, I've test driven both cars extensively. This is weird to say but the more I drove them the harder it became to choose. They are both SO SO good in their own way that the whole apples to oranges argument didn't apply to me personally.

I am not married so getting both is absolutely an option, but i live in the city and 3 cars without a garage is going to be impossible to manage. First world problem yes. I think at this point I'll rent both cars on turo one more time back to back and make a decision from there. Thanks guys it was a pleasure reading all your inputs from different directions!

speedvagen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sgp fk8 #r-26236
Country flag
Honestly, the only reason Iā€™m driving a CTR over a Cayman/Boxster/Miata is because I have kids and no access to a third, family car....not putting the CTR down, Iā€™m smiling every second I drive my R. I LOVE my R. But if I didnā€™t have kids, or already had a Prius V, Iā€™d pick the Miata.

Sure itā€™s slower, but rwd, the option to drop the top on nice days/nights...doesnā€™t get much better than that. If Honda offered another s2000, Iā€™d have probably ended up owning my third s2000....

ā€˜vagen

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My vote is for the Type R.

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
I was in the exact same position last year after getting rid of my M2. My comments on it were the same as yours. Overweight, expensive, and a little low on power.

Ended up getting the CTR over the Miata simply because it's a larger car and I wanted to be a bit more comfy. I don't think you can go wrong with either car though.

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
i skimmed thru all the responses fairly quickly, so i didn't catch if you mentioned this. Are you comparing stock vs stock? if so CTR, hands down. If you're going to mod it, then it could be the Miata. The miata has a billion more aftermarket support to choose vs the R. Depending on what parts you're after, some are cheaper as well. Not to mention if you track it, you can do all sorts of things and it may not break the bank. After all, you can afford a M2 or CTR, so Miata shouldn't be a problem. =) like some have said, get both.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
I thought the Miata wouldā€™ve been completely lacking if it didnā€™t have that 20k invested in it. I canā€™t even imagine a completely stock one. After that ownership experience, I personally thought Miata was not always the answer, contrary to popular lore.

5 minutes behind the wheel of the CTR and I was hooked. And because my CTR is daily driven, Iā€™ve kept it more or less stock and yet Iā€™m still very much satisfied with the car every time I get behind the wheel. I still love driving the CTR after 11 months of ownership.

After owning a Miata, I felt like the people who love and buy that car are all 40-45 year old men going through a mid life crisis that get thrilled by an otherwise pretty basic car that also happens to be a convertible. I was in my late 20s when I had that car as a toy car. Definitely didnā€™t fit me, I felt. That and always having to justify driving a Miata to everyone got old after awhile. The Civic on the other hand? I feel 22 years old when I get behind the wheel and yet Iā€™m now nearing being a decade older than when I owned the Miata.

Also, convertibles arenā€™t all what theyā€™re cracked up to be. If itā€™s super hot out, you can easily burn your skin. You canā€™t use it in stop and go traffic because of the heat just makes it uncomfortable to sit in. Itā€™s crazy loud at highway speeds. I dunno. Just my $0.02.

Granted, I know I had a 3rd Gen Miata but It was supercharged and putting down a similar power to weight ratio as the CTR. It just felt much less fun to me.
I was 28 when I bought my Miata. DD'ed it for 18 months (living in Phoenix) then moved on to something else. Bought an S2k a few years after that...

Mid life crisis cars are Corvettes and Porschesā€¦ :D

Evo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer Evolution
Country flag
Depends on how you drive it. Big pro of rwd and awd is power slides and general fun around corners where the rear end can step out. Fwd has its limitations.

The miatas is a crazy small car and the civic is pretty damn practical...
Sponsored