unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
Got my sights set on a crystal black pearl Type-R. Currently have an Si that I'm quite happy with but I made the mistake of sitting in the Type-R and well... Talk me out of it, please! Seems to be an improvement in every way over my Si (despite needing to either immediately put all-seasons on it, or invest in a winter wheel/tire package via TireRack so I can drive it more often until Spring)... Also it looks like the 12 gallon tank might be an issue, but with 28mpg highway shouldn't be a HUGE deal as long as I'm not constantly beating the snot out of it. Front/rear space was astonishing (I'm 6'1"). Trunk space was impressive as well.

I'll keep searching through this forum for info - but has anyone dropped to 18" winter wheel/tire package on the Type-R? Not looking to break the bank I just want to make sure whatever I get would clear those yuge brakes up front...

Cheers
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Man don't even hesitate this is the best car I've ever had and I've had some cars. Imo I'd get a 2019 so you don't have to get the eyesight and other bits on the 2020 - the less tech the better in that department imo.

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
Yea I agree with what the others said. I don't recommend all season tires if you're in a area that experiences snow. It may be a bit more for winter tires, but I think it's well worth the cost. The one day I experienced snow with all season tires made me regret not purchasing winter tires. I'm currently on Continental DWS 245/35/20 tires. Turning and accelerating with the little bit of snow that was on the ground was frustrating.

OP
OP
unholy79

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
All seasons are an option since I've got a Silverado with 200k in the driveway that is my winter beater... I just know that summer tires, even if it's dry if the temps are cold enough aren't any fun. :) I still may likely invest in a good set of snows though. I'm just wondering whether I should go 18 or 19 via the tire-rack page. I wouldn't want to ding up the 20's in a winter pot hole.

OP
OP
unholy79

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Man don't even hesitate this is the best car I've ever had and I've had some cars. Imo I'd get a 2019 so you don't have to get the eyesight and other bits on the 2020 - the less tech the better in that department imo.
I'll admit I do like the look of the bumper "vents" better on the 2020, but I can likely swap them out. I don't want the Honda Sense whatsoever. Heck, when I sat in the car and saw actual buttons for climate control I squee'd out loud. Had the salesman laughing.

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Z/28, '22 Ridgeline , '22 CR-V Hybrid
Country flag
OP
OP
unholy79

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR, 2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man those wheels look great, but $800 per... oof! Not a fan of Blizzaks either. Only car I've ever wrecked had Blizzaks on a dry road. Part of it can be blamed on youth and stupidity, but the moment they mentioned the 'squishiness' I had a flashback. Likely go with Pirelli Sottozero's I think they're called. Ran those on my Golf R, they were exquisite.
JUST DO IT!!!
Trading up for the Type R a week ago has been the best decision ive made in a car ever! I love everything about it.

Honest review i ride cruise control alot (Houston Texas everything is far away) R mode is bumpy but I love it, i get a kick out of it.

the cabin is noisy but i want to be able to hear it! Im terrified of the overly quiet cars because i dont know if im hurting the car or not.

3/4th gear pulls on the highway are a blast! Confidence in the rain with the better brakes and slightly better tires then my last car.

Its an amazing car and youll never look back

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
I haven't owned a 10th gen SI before, but this is a car I've had in my mind for a couple of years already. I had an opportunity to purchase and haven't looked back. I always have buyers remorse, but that's with anything I buy. It goes away when I drive the car. I say do it if your finances allow (which I see it does based off what you said) and don't look back. If it's something you want? Why not? I doubt you'll have any regrets.

I honestly love this car more than the S2000 currently and everyone in my life knows I love the S2000.

There has been a bunch of people jumping down to 18's though. Even 19's. I am currently driving mine on the OEM in Chicago. Only when the there is no snow or salt. Otherwise I just drive my daily.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm on 18" Enkeis for the winter, with Michelin Alpin Sport winter tires. The car looks so much better on 18s than the stock 20s.

Don't get all seasons if you live in an area with snow. You'll forever be feathering the throttle because all seasons aren't made to work in cold and snowy conditions. "All season" tires should be retitled "All compromise" tires. They excel at nothing.

Add FWD to that equation and plenty of torque and it's no fun. My SO currently has all seasons on her Quattro A5... And she's hell bent on getting winters. She can't stand how unconfident the car feels compared to on winters. She even has the benefit of AWD.

Last edited:

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
As sharp as the 20's look, I'm a big fan of sidewall.
Don't get me wrong- I just bought another set of the stock 20s. I think it's wise to keep them because in a few years guys will start looking for them and you know... Supply Vs demand... Price will go up. They are super cheap these days though.

But I seriously think they're ridiculous on the CTR, hahaha

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
I did 18” MSW rims with Toyo Observe GSI-6 snow tires. Just have to get the right offset to clear the brakes. Don’t know what offset I have, a local shop that’s familiar with these cars set up my car. No issue in the snow but then I didn’t get a ton of snow this year in the Boston area.

it’s a great little all around car. I use it daily. Just have to get used to getting into the car but I’m 51 with a bad back and have no issues. Seats are super comfortable. I wanted a V8 car but this engine allows me to have fun and not have to stop as frequently at the gas station as I would have to with a V8. Very tossible car that is comfortable and convenient with the hatch.

Honda Civic 10th gen Possibly trading up to a 2019 Type-R CDD7063B-E798-4C60-8FE9-B7EB32F1625C
Sponsored