MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Not going to lie, if something happens to the TypeR (universe forbid!) I’ll probably look into an STi.

Excited to see what they do for the new generation.
Sponsored

ems657

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru STi, 2012 Infiniti G37 (sold)
Country flag
I had a 2018 STi before switching to 2018 Type R. The STi is more raw for sure, but very difficult to drive around town (easy to stall the engine + no torque at low RPM).

The definition of "fast" to me is lap time (not launch), and Type R beats STi hands down (after reading so many different reviews). Don't get me wrong, STi is a great car, but in the past 15 years, the competition has moved on...

Cheers,

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
different strokes for different folks. i for one have never had any transmission issues with the CTR and although i do plan on eventually getting 18s the stock 20s haven't been an issue for me and i live in NJ the home of the pot hole.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Unless you’re trying to launch on every soccer mom you end up at a stoplight next to I’ll never understand this AWD love. This car isn’t meant to be fast off the line.

I guess that means he made a good decision.

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
The bottom line is pick the car you want then learn to drive it. Just because it’s got a stick, doesn’t mean they all work the same. Same thing is true for FWD vs RWD vs AWD.

I will say watching the video was entertaining. The presenter had a definite bias and it showed. By the end, he might have been questioning his bias a bit.

All said and done, any of the Hot Hatch group are fantastic vehicles and should make anyone happy. After all, most of us will never have the skill of a professional driver :)

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
different strokes for different folks. i for one have never had any transmission issues with the CTR and although i do plan on eventually getting 18s the stock 20s haven't been an issue for me and i live in NJ the home of the pot hole.
When I lived in NJ, I thought the potholes were the worst of any state.

Then I moved over the Delaware into Bucks County, PA and haha some of the roads here have literal craters in them.

Considering going to 18s as well.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The bottom line is pick the car you want then learn to drive it. Just because it’s got a stick, doesn’t mean they all work the same. Same thing is true for FWD vs RWD vs AWD.

I will say watching the video was entertaining. The presenter had a definite bias and it showed. By the end, he might have been questioning his bias a bit.

All said and done, any of the Hot Hatch group are fantastic vehicles and should make anyone happy. After all, most of us will never have the skill of a professional driver :)
I think Thomas has a bias towards rear wheel drive cars.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think Thomas has a bias towards rear wheel drive cars.
Yeah, and he tends to drift (get it) towards cars that aren't as tech happy as modern ones. He decries the auto rev matching feature on the CTR, despite it able to be turned off. For me, it;s a blessing and a curse - a blessing because I suck at doing it myself and it helps spare my clutch, and a curse because I've become so reliant on it I panic when it doesn't activate.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
Was this a comparison of a new CTR vs a used STI?

Hard to really make it apples to apples if so. A new CTR is $37k and a used STI is (apparently) $23k. That's a huge difference - a new CTR is over 1.5x more expensive than the price he paid for a used STI. Of course the STI will seem like a much better deal/car with those 2 price points. I think the CTR is better than the STI, but is it 1.5x better? Probably not.

I don't really find the transmission notchy, nor can you really say it's an indicator that you will eventually have pop-out problems (which aren't an issue at all as far as I've experienced on the CTR).

It is interesting that STI values have tanked so badly - they usually have quite strong resale. Imagine trying to find a '17 CTR for $23k. Wouldn't happen unless it was beat on or had really high miles (or both).

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
I'm interested in the next gen STi. Just have to see what it can do - I'd much rather a 400 hp STi than a VAG anything.

I was interested in the current gen STi - I actually quite like it. It's just not the ideal daily, which I use my CTR for. And used STIs were stupid pricey when I was looking - if I could snag a 2 year old STi for low 20's, I would have likely taken it. The downsides when looking at a CTR vs STi side by side at basically the same price:

- AWD isn't free - extra maintenance, extra strain, extra headaches with matching/rotating tires.
- Turbo lag galore and you have to keep the revs high or the engine is anemic - truly sucks in stop and go traffic.
- Crappy maintenance schedule compared to a Civic
- Crappy reliability compared to a Civic
- Worse MPG
- Less standard features and Limited costs a premium
-Even top trim is dated and older STis do not have Android Auto/Carplay
-Slower in every metric except 0-60...and to beat the CTR in 0-60, have to do a hard launch that causes so much wear and tear

I did like the gearbox and the steering feel was wonderful. Sweet diff. Getting on it was quite rewarding - I love modulating my Type R and coaxing the best out of 1st and 2nd gear, but stomping on the gas and *going* does have it's appeal. I also do like Rally Blue - it's a great color with a great heritage.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm interested in the next gen STi. Just have to see what it can do - I'd much rather a 400 hp STi than a VAG anything.

I was interested in the current gen STi - I actually quite like it. It's just not the ideal daily, which I use my CTR for. And used STIs were stupid pricey when I was looking - if I could snag a 2 year old STi for low 20's, I would have likely taken it. The downsides when looking at a CTR vs STi side by side at basically the same price:

- AWD isn't free - extra maintenance, extra strain, extra headaches with matching/rotating tires.
- Turbo lag galore and you have to keep the revs high or the engine is anemic - truly sucks in stop and go traffic.
- Crappy maintenance schedule compared to a Civic
- Crappy reliability compared to a Civic
- Worse MPG
- Less standard features and Limited costs a premium
-Even top trim is dated and older STis do not have Android Auto/Carplay
-Slower in every metric except 0-60...and to beat the CTR in 0-60, have to do a hard launch that causes so much wear and tear

I did like the gearbox and the steering feel was wonderful. Sweet diff. Getting on it was quite rewarding - I love modulating my Type R and coaxing the best out of 1st and 2nd gear, but stomping on the gas and *going* does have it's appeal. I also do like Rally Blue - it's a great color with a great heritage.
Yeah, that's how I feel too. The STi would be a hoot as a play vehicle, but as a daily it's a stretch. The fuel economy is horrendous compared to the CTR. Although, I have to admit, my ass would be warm in the STi since it has seat heaters (Honda...).

Also, I think the CTR might be as quick if not a hair quicker than the STi to 60. I think it really depends on the launch the CTR gets.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
I too was interested in an STi before getting my CTR. I never drove one but got a lot of similar thoughts like Driveitlikeuboughtit. I always thought the Subies were such cool cars with the turbo and awd and racing heritage so they were near the top of my list but:

Poor gas mileage
Boring interior
Stiff ride not suited to a daily driver
Awd as mentioned in previous post does come with benefits but also at a cost
Head gasket leaks
But I think the biggest thing to me, and I don’t know the percentages, but the 2.5L engine is a dated design and some of the engines suffer from ring land failures which means engine rebuild. A coworker had an STi and steered me away from getting one. Forget what year. Maybe 2016?

I still like and respect the STis and would love to see what the next gen version looks like.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I too was interested in an STi before getting my CTR. I never drove one but got a lot of similar thoughts like Driveitlikeuboughtit. I always thought the Subies were such cool cars with the turbo and awd and racing heritage so they were near the top of my list but:

Poor gas mileage
Boring interior
Stiff ride not suited to a daily driver
Awd as mentioned in previous post does come with benefits but also at a cost
Head gasket leaks
But I think the biggest thing to me, and I don’t know the percentages, but the 2.5L engine is a dated design and some of the engines suffer from ring land failures which means engine rebuild. A coworker had an STi and steered me away from getting one. Forget what year. Maybe 2016?

I still like and respect the STis and would love to see what the next gen version looks like.
That's about where I sit - I mean how is this even a contest - Direct Injected 2.0 liter versus 2.5 from another generation that has known flaws and issues with blowing up.

Tough call I'm so on the fence here!
Sponsored