ORDERED A NEW 2020 CIVIC TYPE R... while there's brand new older models in showrooms

dom_dub

OctaneFix Magazine
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.octanefix.com
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R 2020, 96 Jetta VR6, 71' Corvette LS6, 72 240Z, 97 Supercharged Maxima A32
Country flag
Hi guys,

I just ordered my 2020 CTR 2 days ago... While alot of americans struggles with dealer markups, here in Canada, we have unsold 2018-19 for sale for less than MSRP...

I just hope i'm doing the right move because the 2020 is 46kCAD and i've seen a 2018 with 12km for 39,000 (warranty still to be activated).

Do you think the 2020 is worth the difference ... and the wait ? I'm still trying to see pictures of the revised steering wheel and shifter also...
Sponsored

OP
OP
dom_dub

dom_dub

OctaneFix Magazine
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.octanefix.com
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R 2020, 96 Jetta VR6, 71' Corvette LS6, 72 240Z, 97 Supercharged Maxima A32
Country flag
I've dropped a 500$ deposit. Delivery scheduled for Late March 2020

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm in Texas and we still have a TON of 2018 and 2019 CTRs on the floors for below MSRP because they're not being sold. I bought my EX hatch from a dealer with over a dozen on the lot. They were trying to push a CTR on me for pretty damn cheap, but I wanted an AT for my daily commute.

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Galant ES 2.4, 18 Sienna XLE (FWD), 18 FK7 ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi guys,

I just ordered my 2020 CTR 2 days ago... While alot of americans struggles with dealer markups, here in Canada, we have unsold 2018-19 for sale for less than MSRP...

I just hope i'm doing the right move because the 2020 is 46kCAD and i've seen a 2018 with 12km for 39,000 (warranty still to be activated).

Do you think the 2020 is worth the difference ... and the wait ? I'm still trying to see pictures of the revised steering wheel and shifter also...
Just found this page today: https://www.honda.co.jp/CIVICTYPE-R/new/
There's the development team's impression video down at the bottom, check out 1:16, and 2:05, probably can give you some idea, the definition isn't very high though

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi guys,

Can you provide the exact 2020 price in CAD, including destination? Thanks.

I'm trying to estimate MSRP in USD from CAD.

Example:
2019 MSRP: 41690 CAD / 37230 USD = 1.12
2020 MSRP: 46000 CAD / X USD = 1.12
46000 / 1.12 = X
X = 41078

thebrx

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm in Texas and we still have a TON of 2018 and 2019 CTRs on the floors for below MSRP because they're not being sold. I bought my EX hatch from a dealer with over a dozen on the lot. They were trying to push a CTR on me for pretty damn cheap, but I wanted an AT for my daily commute.
Hi PEPSIFLAME, where did you find in Texas CTR below MSRP? I'm in Dallas and looking for one. All dealers I met sell for MSRP plus accessories (usually $1,500 to $3,000). I tried Houston and Austin and they all have a markup of 4k$ to 5k$.
I'd really appreciate if you can let me know where you found it below MSRP.
Thanks.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Turn it into an automatic and it will selling like hotcake

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi guys,

If you're in no rush I'd wait. Shorter shifter sounds nice.

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is the biggest lie on this forum right now. No dealer has 12 of them in their lot. Why would Honda allocate 12 to a dealer that isn’t selling them. Get the hell outta here.

bretts911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Porsche Carrera Coupe; 2018 BMW M3 Comp
Country flag
Hi PEPSIFLAME, where did you find in Texas CTR below MSRP? I'm in Dallas and looking for one. All dealers I met sell for MSRP plus accessories (usually $1,500 to $3,000). I tried Houston and Austin and they all have a markup of 4k$ to 5k$.
Thanks.

Hey thebrx,

I just bought a CTR a couple of weeks ago, and there indeed are dealers out there selling them below MSRP. The markets appear to be remarkably different from city to city and state to state, so you may have to travel a bit to get the right deal. You may want to start with CarGurus and search within about 500 miles. It helps if you are flexible on color. of course. You will have to make lots of phone calls and endure lots of people telling you that there were only 200 Type Rs made in the entire universe, but it is worth your time investment. I had to go to Florida from Birmingham, AL to get my car.

I suggest going to the KBB site and find the current KBB Fair Purchase Price. The current KBB FPP for a new 2019 CTR for my zip code shows $35,275. Use that price as a reference when you are talking with dealers. That should be a fair price for both parties. You will speak to LOTS of morons before you finally get someone who knows something about cars. I called over 20 dealers, and the ones that actually were interested in selling a car called me back. Expect the process to take the better part of a month, and expect lots of frustration. Best of luck to you!!

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
Country flag
46k CAD is this tax included??

Hi guys,

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks.

Vandergriff, in Arlington had 4 for below MSRP. The other 8 had "options" that were marked up anywhere from $800 - $1200. However, they weren't sticking to those markups too hard. I didn't fuck with sales people though. My buddy bought his car from the GM, directly. After he got his, he took his mom to get her car and worked with the GM and then took me up there to meet him. I think he said he went through Car Guys or Car Pro, something like that, and the GM contacted him personally. I'd start there.

Anyone who says you can't find a CTR under MSRP or that dealers will only have a few is completely lying to you. Vandergriff had 6 out in the open, 3 inside, 3 outside. The rest were in the back of the lot. Freeman, in North Dallas, also had 7 on the lot, 4 for under MSRP. AT the time, 3 of those had pending deals. John Eagle had 5 on the lot, but I didn't go to them at all.