rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Most people seem to be missing the point of one of the main questions the OP had. If the maintenance minder has been reset by accident, or because the system glitched or battery died or whatever, how do you know when to do an oil change. Some people will do it every 3k or 5k or whatever and not follow the MM. Every 7.5k that the schedule you posted would be fine as it will most likely be less than what MM would have told you if it hadn't reset. Based on the miles you drive it would be 8.5k or more miles before the MM went off. If something changes and you just do a lot of short trips than you should change it more often.

SPACFRC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EXT Coupe, 2008 Civic LX Coupe, 1998 Civic EX Coupe
Country flag
1. I have issues with the shifter not going into gears. At times have to shift to other gears to get it in.
2. Right rear door makes the noise that some reported and I am certain is the weather stripping since the body gaps are not consistent and weather strip is too thin to seal
3. Around 4k my car just died, like power loss and the whole dash went haywire but came back as I continued driving. It happened while in ACC and going from 5th to 6th by pressing the clutch.
4. Steering input is not precises as in turning left is quicker then going right, also my center is off even after a good will alignment and specs seem ok! Might be an issue with the electric power steering
5. I feel the lane keep assist is never off since it feels like it tries to engage but realizes it should be off
6. Car feels like 1 year old and less solid after just 6650 miles
7. No one can't tell me the oil change interval and points me to the dash gauge ever after I told them I reset it to default after the car died. Even Honda NA HQ is just as idiotic.
8. Why the AC has to be on all the time even if not needed be? You have to turn it off! No wonder they fail so fast!
9. Hill assist and brake hold fight each other, Parking brake used to disengage automatically when going forward, now only from reversing!
10. MPG is good at 33-34 avg for me but the ECO is useless and the dash MPG is a joke!
11. sorting of mp3s based on time/date created on the usb? What?

I wanted to like this car but between the issue I have, arrogance and idiocy from dealer I am not going to dive again into Honda family. I usually pay no mind to the kinds of Consumer Reports or Scotty Kilmer but they seem to be right, Honda is going downhill, and is sad since my moto was just amazing!
1. I was driving a 5 speed 1998 Civic for 20 years before I bought my 2018 Civic. And the new Civic's 6 speed is definitely much stiffer, the older 5 speed is much smoother (fortunately I kept the '98 so I can drive it whenever I start to miss it.) Some of that is the age of the transmission, some of it is design. It took a little while to get used to it, but I'm okay with it now. A month or two probably just hasn't been enough time for you to get used to your new 6 speed. Give it a few more months. You'll be fine.

2, 3, 4, 5. Tell your dealer. Make sure these are documented in case they become chronic issues. At the rate you're putting on miles, you'll hit 36k in 6 more months.

6. Skipping this one...

7. I think this has been well covered above.

8. Seems this is part of the climate control system. But it doesn't have to be on all the time. It took me a short while to get used to it, again coming from driving my '98 which had a simple AC button that was always under my control. But turning off the AC on the new Civic is a matter of a couple quick clicks. And I've found that once I turn it off manually, it either stays off until I turn it back on or it turns itself back on if I crank the climate control down to 60 degrees or so. It's a logical system... you just have to get used to the logic. Patience is key.

9. Not sure what you're describing here. I've never tried to disengage my parking brake automatically (it does that if you go in reverse? If that's a feature, I wasn't aware...) I don't use brake hold, never had a problem with hill assist cooperating. If it's not functioning as it should, tell your dealer and make sure it's documented.

10. Lot of discussion on this site about the ECO setting. Apparently it's mildly effective in very limited circumstances. Not worth getting upset over. As for the dash MPG... mine is consistently inaccurate. By that I mean it very consistently is 7% too high. Not sure why this is, but I figure it's still useful. I just knock 7% off to get the true mileage. Again, not worth getting upset over.

11. As mentioned above, it's a computer. Which means it's going to follow its code. Which, fortunately, is flexible. Have some fun with it, find something that works for you.

Good luck with getting these problems sorted out. I'm sure once you do, you'll find driving your Civic is pretty enjoyable.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
1.5 months is too short to change your driving habits on a new car and to like it.
Yes Civic is a low budget car. Easy to know before buying it.

Issue with maintenance schedule !!! Maintenance in not a rocket science, short answer : is the same for any car since 30 years........

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
2 Civic LX MT in the family, one 2016 one 2018 , no issue. MT work perfect. We like the cars.

We always have MT cars since.........

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
When in AUTO the A/C compressor is engaged all the time. But the compressor isn't doing anything much of the time.

This Civic has a variable displacement A/C compressor. Compared to a standard compressor which can only deliver a 100% stroke this compressor can deliver a stroke ranging from zero to 100%. Much of the time during the heating season it operates at zero stroke moving no refrigerant.

I'd verify that the clutch hydraulics don't have a few air bubbles in the system. This would affect clutch operation and transmission shifting.

OP
OP

remusrm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX 6spd
Country flag
I am not doing 5k every month. In December went to Salt Lake from LA and few other trips. I do around 2500 on average! Solid I mean body integrity, as in flex, door thunk when closed, going over bumps and not tipping around!

OP
OP

remusrm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX 6spd
Country flag
Obviously a car dying at 4k isn't normal... Why aren't you talking to your dealer about this. If these problems you're listing were usual problems I don't think many of us would be owning them.

This is what happened! I turned off the car and was still on, but drove to the dealer in Pasadena and all came back to normal!

Honda Civic 10th gen I will never buy a HONDA again! IMG_20191220_154233204

OP
OP

remusrm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX 6spd
Country flag
Most people seem to be missing the point of one of the main questions the OP had. If the maintenance minder has been reset by accident, or because the system glitched or battery died or whatever, how do you know when to do an oil change. Some people will do it every 3k or 5k or whatever and not follow the MM. Every 7.5k that the schedule you posted would be fine as it will most likely be less than what MM would have told you if it hadn't reset. Based on the miles you drive it would be 8.5k or more miles before the MM went off. If something changes and you just do a lot of short trips than you should change it more often.
I do around 15 miles of moderate to heavy traffic at times and the rest 35 miles on freeway at 60+. I will do the 7.5K and try not to default the setting of the dash! Thanks for noticing my main frustration is about!

Last edited:
OP
OP

remusrm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX 6spd
Country flag
Seems like OP just got frustrated and threw a tantrum.. Seeing that he was perfectly happy with the car a month ago and he's not responding anymore....

Interesting observation, maybe should of stick to the subject at hand and see why I am having this "tantrum" and if its valid! If you look to my non response you would see around 2500 miles the car died and before I did have issues with the transmission.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
I've had my Civic Sport for over 6 months now, and while I do love the car, I have to admit it has shaken my faith in Honda as a manufacturer. My 2000 Civic LX had over 100k miles and at times felt as well put together as this new car... and the noises this 1.5L makes and behavior of the CVT on a cold start makes it sound like a jalopy... my 1LE Camaro had a smoother sounding idle at cold start, and that is a cammed pushrod V8 that saw plenty of open track days we're talking about.

It gets great gas mileage, but I was expecting far more refinement from a brand new Honda.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
At cold start the CVT is not as quiet and refined. Once the CVT fluid gets warm everything changes for the better. Obviously the fluid temperature is important since there is a coolant loop which passes through the CVT which helps to warm the CVT fluid as quickly as possible. Maybe the slow-to-heat coolant is a negative for the CVT.

I've driven other brands with CVTs. They were rough too from a cold start.

My LX sedan is very rigid with no flex as I pass over rough surfaces. They did a good job on structure design.
Sponsored