Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
Does this happen to everyone else with the new 2020? Constantly getting flashed with low beams on. Even if I keep the fog lights off people are still flashing me.
Yep. They say the headlights have glare issues with oncoming traffic. I personally get blinded all the time from pick ups and SUVs, so fuck 'em all. :)
Sponsored

ITGuyLevi

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Touring
Country flag
When I first bought my '16 I was getting flashed constantly, so I went to a big parking lot and used a building to see how high up the were pointing. Adjusted them down a bit and it pretty much hasn't happened since (maybe 3 or 4 times in the past 3-ish years). I also had to adjust them a little bit more when I got it to the UK, but after getting back to the states I adjusted them back to a sensible level.

If only someone would go around and adjust all these damn pick-ups and SUVs... There lights are quite literally at eye level.

GotBoost?

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si sedan, 1992 Chevy Blazer
Country flag
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety dinged the Civic for poor driver visibility on the 2019 model, and excessive glare when facing other cars on the 2020 model year.
Honda probably feels like they can't win.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-honda-civic-si-is-still-a-lot-of-car-for-25-0-1839815318
Thanks for the link. I noticed on that comparison that the '19 (which I have) came with halogen PROJECTOR while the '20 came with led REFLECTOR which may cause the excess glare.

After much research I swapped in 'eye of Megatron' LEDs into my PROJECTOR housing and couldn't be happier. I drive enough at night and rarely get flashed... no more than with my previous oem halogen reflectors in '11 Altima.

Higher quality LEDS have a sharp cutoff, so do projector housing usually. Reflector housings on the other hand bounce around light with much less precision. I can't stand when an older truck is behind me with LEDs stuffed into the original reflector housing. The brightness is EVERYWHERE. But I can seem to better tolerate newer vehicles with correctly focused led projectors.

See the sharp/lowered left cutoff

Honda Civic 10th gen Getting High Beam Flashed when driving with Low beams 20191104_180439

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic Si sedan, 2016 Honda civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yea its the auto brights... some times they don't wanna switch back over to low beams in time lol.

Just yesterday actually, Someone hit me with their brights down at a light at a 4 way for a few seconds... so.. lol I hit them back with my brights the remaining time left at the light as a revenge technique. It worked well. :)

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
It’s because LED lights are too fricken bright and it’s bullshit for drivers coming the other way. They should be regulated to a certain brightness and proper aiming kept in check by law.

LEDs are just so much brighter than halogens and people aren't used to them. And honestly they hurt to look at. Why outfit your vehicle with super bright LEDs for looks when nobody can look at it for more than 2 seconds in the dark before squinting their eyes and looking away?

I love DRLs and LED tail lights that don't blind you. They can be manufactured to not be stupid bright. Even a dim LED can be seen for miles.

Edit: i got more to say regarding LED headlights.
For those that argue that super bright LED lights are safer for the driver at night... How can they be safer if you are blinding incoming drivers on a 2 way road. They may veer into your path. Also shining brighter lights on a deer crossing the road or other animal is just going to freeze them and make them act even more erratically as you approach.

I drive 1000 miles a week in a shitty 2008 F150 that doesn't even have fog lamps. Is it nice to see further down the road with brighter headlights on a dark country road? Yes, but is it really necessary? Not really.

For those of you that ride with your fog lamps on 100% of the time:
Why? It’s just a waste of fog lamp bulb life. The fog lamps only illuminate the ground 3 ft in front of your car when the air is clear of fog or rain mist. Fog lamps are to help drivers in front of you see you further through the obstructed atmosphere, not help you see the asphalt 2 ft in front of the car.

Ok boomer. End Grandpa rant.

whew, i feel better now
I 100% agree. When LEDs are either not adjusted correctly, or put in housings that are not designed for LEDs, it really causes havoc. I just flash and roll down the window and flip them off. I'm about to put a three foot slim bar up front and start blinding them back....(well, not really, but that's what I wanna do). I am SO OVER the LED lights. I work 2nd shift so I drive in the dark daily and it's now my biggest driving pet peeve....it used to be idiots who don't understand how four way stops work...but LEDs takes the cake.

Ultimate Warrior

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
It’s because LED lights are too fricken bright and it’s bullshit for drivers coming the other way. They should be regulated to a certain brightness and proper aiming kept in check by law.

LEDs are just so much brighter than halogens and people aren't used to them. And honestly they hurt to look at. Why outfit your vehicle with super bright LEDs for looks when nobody can look at it for more than 2 seconds in the dark before squinting their eyes and looking away?

I love DRLs and LED tail lights that don't blind you. They can be manufactured to not be stupid bright. Even a dim LED can be seen for miles.

Edit: i got more to say regarding LED headlights.
For those that argue that super bright LED lights are safer for the driver at night... How can they be safer if you are blinding incoming drivers on a 2 way road. They may veer into your path. Also shining brighter lights on a deer crossing the road or other animal is just going to freeze them and make them act even more erratically as you approach.

I drive 1000 miles a week in a shitty 2008 F150 that doesn't even have fog lamps. Is it nice to see further down the road with brighter headlights on a dark country road? Yes, but is it really necessary? Not really.

For those of you that ride with your fog lamps on 100% of the time:
Why? It’s just a waste of fog lamp bulb life. The fog lamps only illuminate the ground 3 ft in front of your car when the air is clear of fog or rain mist. Fog lamps are to help drivers in front of you see you further through the obstructed atmosphere, not help you see the asphalt 2 ft in front of the car.

Ok boomer. End Grandpa rant.

whew, i feel better now
I'm not so sure if it's too bright or poorly made by honda cause my Mercedes lights are brighter then my civic but it doesn't blind other driver's like my civic I think honda did a poor job of the aiming

OP
OP
Fatheadrr

Fatheadrr

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
Yea its the auto brights... some times they don't wanna switch back over to low beams in time lol.

Just yesterday actually, Someone hit me with their brights down at a light at a 4 way for a few seconds... so.. lol I hit them back with my brights the remaining time left at the light as a revenge technique. It worked well. :)

Its not auto brights from me. I usually run with that off as well as foglights off and still get Flashed

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
I get flashed all of the time. I'm sure that increased when I replaced my ugly yellow fog lights that did not match the headlights with Cree LED bulbs. Looks so much better! However, the interesting thing is I get flashed more when it is darker, meaning, after the sun is down and there is little to no moon. I never get flashed in town around city lights.
Yellow fog lights aren't ugly.

They are legit af.

As you may know, yellow light doesn't bother the eyes when reflected off fog. (at least that's the theory)

EdwarDallas

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
The "20 Si has LED headlights with auto-brights enabled by default - could this be the issue?
P.S. There's nothing wrong with properly designed and aimed LED headlights.

Is there a way to change this setting?? I know the auto-bright sensitivity can be changed.

Edward

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Is there a way to change this setting?? I know the auto-bright sensitivity can be changed.

Edward
Not aware that the sensitivity can be changed but (from p172 in the Owner's manual):

"You can turn the auto high-beam system off.
If you want to turn the system off or on, set the power mode to ON, then carry out the following procedures while the vehicle is stationary.

To turn the system off:
With the light switch is in AUTO, pull the lever toward you and hold it for at least 40 seconds.
After the auto high-beam indicator light blinks twice, release the lever.

To turn the system on:
With the light switch is in AUTO, pull the lever toward you and hold it for at least 30 seconds.
After the auto high-beam indicator light blinks once, release the lever."

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Has anyone seen the LEDs they have wrapped around newer ambulances? Jesus shield your eyes at night around those. The brake lights fry my eyes out and leave me seeing blotches of light for 10 minutes.

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic Si sedan, 2016 Honda civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you turn your fog lights to "on" they actually won't turn on unless the low beams are on. Therefore, if you have your low beams set to "auto" the fog lights will turn on and off automatically with the rest of your lights.

Lol.. dont see why that was so hard to understand ha
Sponsored