RESOLVED, nothing to see here

Deleted member

So, I took my 2020 to Honda for a drive with the tech about the "whoosh" when accelerating, as it's getting louder. Had a spirited drive on a local highway, nothing crazy as far as RPMs are concerned. He heard it, and was pretty certain it's air being sucked up and normal turbo operation. I still have my doubts, but the car is driving beautifully. I also read in another post on the forum that a lot of owners hear the same thing.

When we got back to the dealership, he asked me to put it in neutral and rev it to redline, as he wanted to hear it without all the road noise.

I wasn't excited about revving it high in neutral and holding it there for a few seconds, but I did it. The Rev Limiter kicked in and it wouldn't rev past 4500 rpm. I held it for about 4 seconds, I think three times.

As I was driving away, I immediately noticed a high pitch, almost siren sound on acceleration, that also wound down on deceleration. But, the car was driving smoothly.

When I turned onto my street I happened to glance down at the boost gauge in the dash and noticed I wasn't building any pressure at all. I drove it through my neighborhood, go it up to about 40mph in 4th gear, and sure enough, it rises to 0 PSI and freezes. A few times I got it to 2 PSI.

I think that aggressive revving was the culprit for the high pitch frequency and 0 PSI.

Going back tomorrow for hopefully a very quick fix. Can I drive it to work under the circumstances? I mean, I drove it home, but I wasn't aware.

I hope this is free, because I only did what the tech requested.

Thanks, guys!
Sponsored

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Your fine just drive with the same technician again and show him, he'll get the process going. If not ask if you can have the shop foreman ride along with you.

OP
OP

Deleted member

Your fine just drive with the same technician again and show him, he'll get the process going. If not ask if you can have the shop foreman ride along with you.
He's the next guy right under the foreman. I trust him. Do you think I blew off a connection somewhere? I hope I didn't tear anything that needs to be replaced.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
He's the next guy right under the foreman. I trust him. Do you think I blew off a connection somewhere? I hope I didn't tear anything that needs to be replaced.
More than likely something simple/loose. Sounds like a large boost leak.

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Assuming that you have no aftermarket piping and it's a boost leak, it'll be covered under warranty without an issue.

If you have aftermarket piping with a boost leak, not too sure they will touch it. I wouldn't. Last thing you want as a dealer mechanic is for an aftermarket part to strip, then you're SoL with no replacement in house.

OP
OP

Deleted member

Assuming that you have no aftermarket piping and it's a boost leak, it'll be covered under warranty without an issue.

If you have aftermarket piping with a boost leak, not too sure they will touch it. I wouldn't. Last thing you want as a dealer mechanic is for an aftermarket part to strip, then you're SoL with no replacement in house.
Bone stock, I've only had it 3 1/2 weeks.

OP
OP

Deleted member

You won't have any problems just go in and shrug your shoulders and ask if this is normal lol. That's the beauty of being completely OEM.
Just got back from Honda, issue is unresolved. Drove with same tech, he initially agreed it wasn't boosting, then he wanted to drive it to see if I wasn't driving it hard enough to boost.

He had to really put it down to get the boost up to about 13 PSI, but it quickly fell to 0. They didn't have a loaner, and I live out of state. So, going back on Tuesday to leave the car with them.

Checked all hoses/tubes and sensors, nothing out of place, and no check engine light on.

I might take it to my local dealer on Monday, but I figured the NJ shop already knows the history.

OP
OP

Deleted member

Warming up the car, and shot this clip.

Is the twitching psi normal? Never noticed before. Idle is smooth and consistent at 750rpm since day one.

The whine on acceleration and deceleration is still apparent. It's low in volume, but sounds like a toy police car, or air rushing through a tiny opening.

Still not boosting, can get 3-5 psi if I press the pedal down about 75%. Was averaging 9 psi with the lightest touch in any gear at residential speeds.

I listened to a soundclip of a blown turbo, and it sounded like a toy whistle, and was very loud. I'm not sure if mine is headed that way, or it's still just a leak and the sound is just amplification of it. Maybe it's the waste gate, or waste gate hose?

Would love to hear from you guys.

John

Last edited by a moderator:

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Yeah that 11-10 psi thing is normal.

EizenhowerSTL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Warming up the car, and shot this clip.

Is the twitching psi normal? Never noticed before. Idle is smooth and consistent at 750rpm since day one.

The whine on acceleration and deceleration is still apparent. It's low in volume, but sounds like a toy police car, or air rushing through a tiny opening.

Still not boosting, can get 3-5 psi if I press the pedal down about 75%. Was averaging 9 psi with the lightest touch in any gear at residential speeds.

I listened to a soundclip of a blown turbo, and it sounded like a toy whistle, and was very loud. I'm not sure if mine is headed that way, or it's still just a leak and the sound is just amplification of it. Maybe it's the waste gate, or waste gate hose?

Would love to hear from you guys.

John
Sound like there is an issue with the electronic waste gate or a boost leak.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
My vote is boost leak.

OP
OP

Deleted member

Really knowledgeable tech. Ran full diagnostics and did a visual/physical inspection from above and below.

Apparently there is no problem. He said these are designed to drop off pretty quickly, even when you're accelerating. Still didn't get an answer as to why it's hanging out in the negative and at 0 while driving.

Will someone reply, maybe with a video of your boost gauge from a stop, through the gears on local roads, and at speed on a highway?

Thanks!
John
Sponsored