Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Does this involve racing around on the street though?
Absolutely not. The datalog usually entails normal cruising (city/highway) and a WOT pull or two.

Last edited:

raulnor516

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Does this involve racing around on the street though?
From what I've been seeing, you datalog all of your normal driving, making sure to get highway, city stop and go, etc to make the car report all of the stats across the power range. He gives you a tune, you upload it to your ECU, then gather more data and send it back to him. Four or five revisions later, you have a tune that is matched to your specific car and driving habits.

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
what are the options if you aren't local to D-RobIMW
E-tune, which is common one thats done if you can't drive to his shop. Or remote tune if you have a local tune shop that would be willing.

yaom1ng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 CVT
Country flag
E-tune, which is common one thats done if you can't drive to his shop. Or remote tune if you have a local tune shop that would be willing.
Do e-tunes provide any dyno numbers or is that not an option

I also seen dyno tune videos on youtube and it is usually like a 3rd gear pull to red line - I dont know if I could do that on the street where I live - I wonder if I could still get e-tune without doing that even if it meant a more conservative tune

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I also seen dyno tune videos on youtube and it is usually like a 3rd gear pull to red line - I dont know if I could do that on the street where I live - I wonder if I could still get e-tune without doing that even if it meant a more conservative tune
How will your car be tuned for wide open throttle if you don't record a wide open throttle run for him to tune? The base map tunes are your conservative tunes. You are covered with that. Custom tuning is tuning your car beyond the conservative base maps. If you don't drive at wide open throttle, the tuner has nothing to go by to change.

RiGalFK7

First Name
Rigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX-L 2018
Country flag
Hi guys,

This thread has just what I was looking for. Thanks to everyone for the info.

I got a 2018 civic hatch (cvt) for $15k used 6 months ago. I´m new to all these tuning and modding stuff so any help or recommendations are well recieved.

So far I´ve only got a tune from TSP and a Cobra CAI. Next I´ll be installing an RV6 catted DP/FP combo.

In the next months I´m planning on getting some more stuff. Where I live they´ve opened a track recently and I would like to enter some races ocassionally. I´m not going to use it for drag races, I´m more of a circuit kind of guy.

So my bolt ons would look something like this:
  • Ktuner
  • PRL Cobra CAI RACE
  • RV6 catted Downpipe / Frontpipe
  • FMIC (27won or PRL)
  • CVT Cooler
  • 27Won Turbo
I live in a hot country (92°F day, 74°F night in the summer) that´s my main reason for the cvt cooler for daily driving, but most of the races are done after 6pm with cooler temps, so... maybe I can get an etune like the TSP Stage 1 that has 3 settings and use a more conservative setting for daily driving and push the cvt a little bit more with the most agressive setting on track days. I don´t know if this is possible, I´m just saying what I would like really.

Also, I´ll be using regular gas, we don´t have ethanol here, and the best I can get is 95 octane (we use RON ratings). Can that be an issue for getting it tuned?

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A couple updates on the post as I've added a section of some concerns that I have ran into while using this setup and some of the limitations I have hit and possible workarounds.

In regards to email tune, if you can't find a stretch of road where you could do a WOT pull then email tune won't be very useful. As mentioned above by Myx, the tuner doesn't have much info to go off of to make tweaks. If he doesn't know how your car will behave at certain conditions, it is difficult for him to make adjustments and tune.

Hi guys,

This thread has just what I was looking for. Thanks to everyone for the info.

I got a 2018 civic hatch (cvt) for $15k used 6 months ago. I´m new to all these tuning and modding stuff so any help or recommendations are well recieved.

So far I´ve only got a tune from TSP and a Cobra CAI. Next I´ll be installing an RV6 catted DP/FP combo.

In the next months I´m planning on getting some more stuff. Where I live they´ve opened a track recently and I would like to enter some races ocassionally. I´m not going to use it for drag races, I´m more of a circuit kind of guy.

So my bolt ons would look something like this:
  • Ktuner
  • PRL Cobra CAI RACE
  • RV6 catted Downpipe / Frontpipe
  • FMIC (27won or PRL)
  • CVT Cooler
  • 27Won Turbo
I live in a hot country (92°F day, 74°F night in the summer) that´s my main reason for the cvt cooler for daily driving, but most of the races are done after 6pm with cooler temps, so... maybe I can get an etune like the TSP Stage 1 that has 3 settings and use a more conservative setting for daily driving and push the cvt a little bit more with the most agressive setting on track days. I don´t know if this is possible, I´m just saying what I would like really.

Also, I´ll be using regular gas, we don´t have ethanol here, and the best I can get is 95 octane (we use RON ratings). Can that be an issue for getting it tuned?
My thought is that the CVT cooler isn't really needed unless you plan on actual tracking/drag in hot weather multiple times. If you daily your car more than you use it to race/track, then the cvt cooler adds no real benefit. My current reluctance to get a CVT cooler myself has been the fact that I live in an area where it does get pretty cold. My concern is that a CVT cooler will pull heat away from the car on cold starts and would take it longer to reach operating temps. In warm/hot climates you may see a benefit if you push your car. However, this is just my take and I could be totally wrong. I have yet to see people running with a CVT cooler let alone a CVT cooler with heavy modifications like mine.

As for your fuel, if you have ktuner and use the TSP tune, you can track your sensor readings. See where your knock control is at, your knock count, your knock retard, etc... People in California (USA) have poor quality gas as they mostly only have 91 octane (US). Many of those users have reported high degrees of knock and thus had to use a bit of e85 to help boost octane to keep the engine happier. I believe 95RON is close to a US 91 octane reading so you maybe facing some issues already.

I believe TSP recommends 93 on their OTS tunes as it was developed using 93 octane (US).

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
knock count is not applicable to this platform according to KTuner, keep an eye on K Cont & retards (try get rid of them)

yes i also think that OTS tunes are based on 93 OCT roughly RON97/8 hence the possibility of higher knocks = more retards = LESS POWER

ATM i'm gathering data on CVT operating temps then will install the CVT cooler & yes it is more applicable to warm climates.

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
knock count is not applicable to this platform according to KTuner, keep an eye on K Cont & retards (try get rid of them)

yes i also think that OTS tunes are based on 93 OCT roughly RON97/8 hence the possibility of higher knocks = more retards = LESS POWER

ATM i'm gathering data on CVT operating temps then will install the CVT cooler & yes it is more applicable to warm climates.
Could you clarify/explain what you mean by knock count being "not applicable"? Knock count is a nice measurement to have as it can be a 1st step sign of possible issues. Ex. if you have 100s of knock counts in a short drive. Or if you have high knock counts upon a cold start.

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Could you clarify/explain what you mean by knock count being "not applicable"? Knock count is a nice measurement to have as it can be a 1st step sign of possible issues. Ex. if you have 100s of knock counts in a short drive. Or if you have high knock counts upon a cold start.
as per the reply knock count is not applicable on civic x platform but do keep an eye on knock control @KTuner will give you the same answer.

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
as per the reply knock count is not applicable on civic x platform but do keep an eye on knock control @KTuner will give you the same answer.
I don't understand what you are saying... It doesnt make sense as it is something I can monitor on my car...

Also as per one of the famous tuners on the 10th Gen platform Derek Robinson he chimes in about knock count on our platform...

Honda Civic 10th gen CVT with Full Bolt Ons and Turbo Upgrade Screenshot_20200204-172732_Facebook

Reactions: Myx

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
maybe i should rephrase it then. knock count is not what to watch on this platform as per your screenshot does mention it in such a way & what it is actually. monitor knock control.

OP
OP
xjoshuax89

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
maybe i should rephrase it then. knock count is not what to watch on this platform as per your screenshot does mention it in such a way & what it is actually. monitor knock control.
Not applicable and not to watch are two very different meanings...

I would disagree and monitor both. No harm in monitoring it.

I look at iat, iat2, ect, afr, rpm, psi, ltft,stft, knock control, knock retard, ethanol, knock count.
Sponsored