Anyone Parking Their R and Suffering Withdrawals?

aytaka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
Its month 3 now here in Canada, 3 more to go before the snow disappears. Driving an old subaru which is great in the snow but still miss the R everyday. Thought I'd make a support thread for those of us not lucky enough to live in Cali.

Considering just biting the bullet and winter driving it next year.
Sponsored

Deleted member 31314

Yup, Sometimes I go into the garage on weekends and open the door sit it in for like a minute. I got some aftermarket parts for Christmas so I am looking forward to installing those when I get some more time.

I actually have the car mounted on winter rims and tires but I have only driven it once all winter and that was before the snow lol. I travel for work sometimes so I tend to use my other car but of course when I am in town and want to drive the CTR its all melting and gross out, so I opt not to.

Canadian problems ...

CanadianFK8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
I have been using mine every day here in Calgary, got some 18" michelin X-Ice tires on there and it drives like a dream. Only thing that I constantly do is wash it...haha. Had the dealer pull off all underbody panels, and pull the exhaust and all heat shields. completely undercoated since day 1 of ownership for added protection. Only thing I really miss is keeping traction when I get into boost!!

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Damn brutal I clock watch to see when I get to leave work to drive it I can't imagine waiting months! you poor bastards!

OP
OP

aytaka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
Damn brutal I clock watch to see when I get to leave work to drive it I can't imagine waiting months! you poor bastards!
The thing is you can't even have that much fun if you have winter tires in the FWD. It's mostly like driving a regular civic in snow since there's not great traction to be able to full send in a corner. The Subaru is definitely funner in winter but you just miss summer driving, windows down music blasting on a mountain road *sigh*.

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
Put it in winter storage three months ago after changing the oil and resetting the maintenance minder. Maintenance minder said 100% oil life remaining after 6 weeks (when i started the car, ran through the gears, etc.). Started the car again after 12 weeks and the maintenance minder said only 80% oil life remaining. Probably have another three months of waiting before i drive the R and two other cars. That will get me firmly into the rainy season!

OP
OP

aytaka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
I have been using mine every day here in Calgary, got some 18" michelin X-Ice tires on there and it drives like a dream. Only thing that I constantly do is wash it...haha. Had the dealer pull off all underbody panels, and pull the exhaust and all heat shields. completely undercoated since day 1 of ownership for added protection. Only thing I really miss is keeping traction when I get into boost!!
I didn't sell you your winters did I? X-Ice 3s on Honda rims?

CanadianFK8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
I didn't sell you your winters did I? X-Ice 3s on Honda rims?
You may have.. parts guy at Heritage? RWC rims, I actually don't mind the way they look after I installed them. Also had a block heater installed and tucked up by the drivers headlight under the hood. Even the Honda install guide said they have to remove the bumper and cut a hole in the grille for the cord plug.... obviously there was no f'ing way that was going to happen!! Mike and his guys did a great job.
Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone Parking Their R and Suffering Withdrawals? IMG_20191226_151958

OP
OP

aytaka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
You may have.. parts guy at Heritage? RWC rims, I actually don't mind the way they look after I installed them. Also had a block heater installed and tucked up by the drivers headlight under the hood. Even the Honda install guide said they have to remove the bumper and cut a hole in the grille for the cord plug.... obviously there was no f'ing way that was going to happen!! Mike and his guys did a great job.
IMG_20191226_151958.jpg
I thought all canadian cars came with a block heater? I never asked cause I have heated parking, I just assumed.

Funnily enough, those are the exact rims and tires I had but no I don't work at the dealership ha ha. Really nice winter set up though and yeah the rims don't look half bad.

CanadianFK8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
I thought all canadian cars came with a block heater? I never asked cause I have heated parking, I just assumed.

Funnily enough, those are the exact rims and tires I had but no I don't work at the dealership ha ha. Really nice winter set up though and yeah the rims don't look half bad.
I was under that same assumption, but on the R it is a dealer added option. They committed to installing one before they realized by the honda book it is a 7 hour install!! but that's mostly to remove and modify the front bumper which they did not do. Just tucked it under the hood so it was clean.

ShadowFiend

SanaBanana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I was under that same assumption, but on the R it is a dealer added option. They committed to installing one before they realized by the honda book it is a 7 hour install!! but that's mostly to remove and modify the front bumper which they did not do. Just tucked it under the hood so it was clean.
I live in Ontario and is considering to install a block heater for my 19 si...Just want to ask what are the benefits of this and how does it work? Sorry I'm a noob at this :>

OP
OP

aytaka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
I live in Ontario and is considering to install a block heater for my 19 si...Just want to ask what are the benefits of this and how does it work? Sorry I'm a noob at this :>
It warms your oil so your car gets to temp faster, good for the turbo'd stuff to let you send it faster. But, it'll be the same if you just drive under 3k rpm for the first 10-15mins and let your engine warm up.

Deleted member 31314

Yeah it's the dumbest thing ever, my block heater was already installed when i bought my CTR in August. I was pissed at the dealer until they proved to me that is what they are told to do.
I have since tucked into the engine back near the headlight for a cleaner look and through the magic of black zip ties recreated the honey comb grill pattern. No one, and I mean no one has ever noticed, but I sadly can never un-see it... might slap the new 2020 grill on though anyway for added airflow so whatever lol.

OP
OP

aytaka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
Yeah it's the dumbest thing ever, my block heater was already installed when i bought my CTR in August. I was pissed at the dealer until they proved to me that is what they are told to do.
I have since tucked into the engine back near the headlight for a cleaner look and through the magic of black zip ties recreated the honey comb grill pattern. No one, and I mean no one has ever noticed, but I sadly can never un-see it... might slap the new 2020 grill on though anyway for added airflow so whatever lol.
The 2020 grill and vents might be a thing i add as well, looks nice. I'd be so pissed if i found the dealer cut into my grille (though now i need to go check since i never asked about the heater...). I basically told them to take delivery of the car and don't touch anything or "wash" it.

Deleted member 31314

The 2020 grill and vents might be a thing i add as well, looks nice. I'd be so pissed if i found the dealer cut into my grille (though now i need to go check since i never asked about the heater...). I basically told them to take delivery of the car and don't touch anything or "wash" it.
I was livid to be honest, thankfully I love this car so much so it has subsided since then. I don't like the idea of cutting but in not a huge deal at the end of the day, you have to be looking dead on from a crouch to see it, and they only cut enough of the honey comb to get the heater cord through. I had no choice because I actually picked this one up because the dealer had got in for someone else that had backed out on their deposit so that PDI was all done already. I was actually supposed to buy from my local dealer but they messed and couldn't get be the CW they promised so I drove like 250 kms to get my car. Got a cheaper deal in the long run and very happy with the car.
Sponsored