Can you replace fog light bulbs with 50w LEDs?

Deleted member 35719

I see that the original halogen fog light bulbs are 35w H8, the most common LED replacement bulbs on Amazon are 50w, are they going to work as fog light replacements? Or is it going to draw too much power and potentially cause damage or simply not work?
Sponsored

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
given how thin the wiring for the headlights on this car are I wouldn't replace 35 watt bulbs with 50 watt bulbs, the whole point of LED is to be a lower power draw not higher.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I see that the original halogen fog light bulbs are 35w H8, the most common LED replacement bulbs on Amazon are 50w, are they going to work as fog light replacements? Or is it going to draw too much power and potentially cause damage or simply not work?
Isn't the 50W for the pair of LEDs whereas the 35W halogen is for a single bulb?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd assume the "50w LEDs" are lumen equivalent (or more) to a 50w halogen bulb. They likely consume a fraction of 50w. If you post a link, we could likely verify this for you.

As an example... a set of H11 Hikaris were supposed to have about 3x the lumen output of stock halogens. Hikari stated they consume 28w, and the halogen bulbs generally draw 55w. Dual Hi/Lo filament bulbs are typically 55/65w.

I'd be shocked if fogs draw any more than headlights, assuming those were specifically made for that application.

Last edited:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
35 watts halogen bulb draw 3 amps ( 35w / 12volts
50 watts LED draw same current as a 9 watts "normal" bulb ; 9 w / 12 v = 0.75 amp

In theory we can say that to draw 3 amps like the 35 watt halogen, we should install a 140 watt LED

It is safe for a car ( or anything ) to use LED where you have any kind of bulb

Last edited:

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Agreed that I believe it would be okay so far as power consumption. Remember that there is a fuse that protects the wiring. If you try to draw too much amperage through; the fuse is designed to be the sacrificial weak link.

But also agree that improper use of LED lighting on the road gives me a headache.

Good luck.

xaviersayys

Xavier
First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it safe? Yes. Can you? Yes. Should you?

Absolutely not.

Your foglights will now be totally useless as foglights, and every time they're on all oncoming traffic will be able to see is your LED foglights in reflector housings. If you want LED foglights, get Morimoto XBs or Touring OEM lights.
I second this.

n2da2nd

It's Senor Bane to ya
First Name
Nam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah 50W is a bit too much. Check out my Amazon store, I have the dual color fog lights that you can have both white and yellow output on the fog lights. They are 35W.
www.amazon.com/shop/civicsocialclub

THATSi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
I'd assume the "50w LEDs" are lumen equivalent (or more) to a 50w halogen bulb. They likely consume a fraction of 50w. If you post a link, we could likely verify this for you.

As an example... a set of H11 Hikaris were supposed to have about 3x the lumen output of stock halogens. Hikari stated they consume 28w, and the halogen bulbs generally draw 55w. Dual Hi/Lo filament bulbs are typically 55/65w.

I'd be shocked if fogs draw any more than headlights, assuming those were specifically made for that application.
As an electrician I can tell you that you are correct, it's 50W equivalent, will not draw 50W

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As an electrician I can tell you that you are correct, it's 50W equivalent, will not draw 50W
...as an electrician, though not a real/licensed one, just one thatā€™s given the title and a little training by the navy and turned loose to do their worst and to figure it out as we go... I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

THATSi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
...as an electrician, though not a real/licensed one, just one thatā€™s given the title and a little training by the navy and turned loose to do their worst and to figure it out as we go... I appreciate it. :thumbsup:
Ok idiot, goto home depot and buy a 50 or 60W led bulb and put a meter to it, if you can even figure that out and post your results of the draw, it's ok your meter won't do watts, I'll convert and do the math for you

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok idiot, goto home depot and buy a 50 or 60W led bulb and put a meter to it, if you can even figure that out and post your results of the draw, it's ok your meter won't do watts, I'll convert and do the math for you
I think you misunderstood his post. You might want to read it again.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Really? I was agreeing with you. I am well aware that theyā€™re marketed as an ā€˜equivalent toā€™ incandescent bulbs based on their lumens.

I was just stating Iā€™ve been an electrician in the navy for 17 years, though I donā€™t dismiss the licensing and abilities you have in your trade. Youā€™re being an ass.

THATSi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
Really? I was agreeing with you. I am well aware that theyā€™re marketed as an ā€˜equivalent toā€™ incandescent bulbs based on their lumens.

I was just stating Iā€™ve been an electrician in the navy for 17 years, though I donā€™t dismiss the licensing and abilities you have in your trade. Youā€™re being an ass.
Debatable on who's being an ass, but whatever, I wasn't trained by the navy, or any other branch of the military either, eligible for my license in 18 months tho, didn't mean to come off wrong but at first glance it was a bit insulting

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Debatable on who's being an ass, but whatever, I wasn't trained by the navy, or any other branch of the military either, eligible for my license in 18 months tho, didn't mean to come off wrong but at first glance it was a bit insulting
An insult wasnā€™t intended... but thereā€™s also no offense where none is taken. But, as an electrician, you can decide whether or not you want to tell me Iā€™m correct again. (thatā€™s a joke... take it as one this time... for the love of god).

Power is easy as PIV my friend... and even throwing in a power factor if needed, or multiple phases if needed, itā€™s an easy concept. Ohms power law needs not be used to attack someone.

I was mostly knocking on myself for not being licensed, though given my experience onboard subs for years... thereā€™s pretty much nothing I canā€™t fix. When we go through our year and a half of training, which is nuclear more than electrical, were pretty trade-dumb and learn by having to fix everything that breaks... and everything does. That first year or so is exciting at times (which isnā€™t a good thing with electricity) and humbling.

18 months huh for a license though? Congratulations. Trades are a under appreciated skill in todayā€™s college-to-be-successful world.

Still... Iā€™ll be sitting here with my fluke, waiting for my lesson. Completing circuits with a multimeter to read current puts the F-U in fun when weā€™re playing with 110v. I wonā€™t need to go get a bulb at Home Depot though... every lighting receptacle in my home has an LED bulb in it, and has for over 5 years.
Honda Civic 10th gen Can you replace fog light bulbs with 50w LEDs? 314587CF-F490-48F4-865B-ABEECD9E2209

Donā€™t forget to get the leads right! I donā€™t have a clamp on so weā€™ll have to get dirty with it. ;)
Sponsored