Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
We (amirza, me) all know the potential risk of tuning. We mention it all the time when newbies ask if tuning is 100% safe. I've answered 100's of members questions regarding tuning. Both when I owned Hondata and now KTuner.

Having said that, when many of these tuned failure topics start, I often see that the initial report of "I was cruising at 27mph and she just blew" turn out to be a lot more complex than that single event. Like the guy on Hondata who recently said his CVT "blew". I told him it sounded more like limp home mode caused by his Injen intake. Turned out that was the case.

No one is saying it's always the driver. It's a combination of things. But the majority of tuned cars that are base or mildly custom tuned have fared well.
Sponsored

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
But TBH, every time a "my engine blew" thread is formed, they all have something similar in common, which is the tune. When is the last time you heard someone blowing their engine with KTuner, Hondata, or MAP tunes?

Hondata has used their tunes in stock cars for 25hr races which says alot about stress testing their tunes.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
But TBH, every time a "my engine blew" thread is formed, they all have something similar in common, which is the tune. When is the last time you heard someone blowing their engine with KTuner, Hondata, or MAP tunes?

Hondata has used their tunes in stock cars for 25hr races which says alot about stress testing their tunes.
To be clear, are you saying the issue is the tunes from TSP?

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
To be clear, are you saying the issue is the tunes from TSP?
Just saying that every engine blown thread have been using the same tune. I have never seen another tune in a blown engine thread. I said this same thing 2 engine blown threads ago. And what do you know, the next 2 blown threads used the same tune.

Not blaming TSP tune, stating how every time I see a new thread, that tune is involved and never any other tune.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Pretty sure I've seen a few Hondata antilag associated failures

Boomdata was thrown around a little even

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just saying that every engine blown thread have been using the same tune. I have never seen another tune in a blown engine thread. I said this same thing 2 engine blown threads ago. And what do you know, the next 2 blown threads used the same tune.

Not blaming TSP tune, stating how every time I see a new thread, that tune is involved and never any other tune.

Seeing a lot of ethanol associated kaboom threads too

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag

Its just tunes period that contribute to an engine booming.

Flashpro +9 blown engine:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/so-my-engine-blew-up.34226/

MAP tune blown engine:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/engine-just-blew.40157/

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The other tuners make ethanol tunes but we never see blown engine threads from them.
I haven't counted who had what but I've noticed more recent ethanol boom coming from folks running e85 which on this platform is a big no no regardless of the tune

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
It is proportionally higher with TSP.
I agree. I was just making a point that it happens with all aftermarket tunes. But yes, still higher with TSP tunes which i guess is kind of expected being that the TSP tune pushes more power.

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is proportionally higher with TSP.
Per tune? Or due to law of averages?