Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
RacerX...

The reason people often say there's more to the story is because their is. I'm one of the early members and joined in 2015. I try to read every post related to tuning. So when I know someone has a history of street racing or previous misfire issues that went neglected or they're using an Injen, those are red flags.

I've never said tunes don't create more stress. But it's also true the vast majority of guys running tunes (especially base tunes with minimal bolt ons) have been relatively problem free.

But yes... tunes increase stress and risk. I've made an educated decision that for my driving scenario and tune setup, it's worth it to me.
Sponsored

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
I redline my wrx at least daily. If it blows it won’t be cuz it redlining daily but likely cuz it’s pushing 80% more power than it was on oem tune.

And yes, I agree, that most people who tune will enjoy their tuned vehicle more so than if it weren’t tuned. On top of that, I gather from perusing this and other forums that people like to drive these cars at low rpms. I’m talking about people up shifting at 2k rpms. This leads me to suspect that a great deal of these same people will find them selves accelerating and boosting at low rpms in high gears which can be very detrimental to DIT engines, ESPECIALLY SO in 5th or 6th gears where gearing ratio is unfavorable and results in highER torque applications than car was set up/tuned for.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Well this cvt guy is having wastegate actuator problem that no one can fix
CVT lag is completely different from wastegate actuator problem I had a Jetta TDI that the wastegate actuator
Failed the car had no power at all it was so underpowered the transmission wouldn’t shift into higher gear CVT lag is just a little lag when accelerating

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I redline my wrx at least daily. If it blows it won’t be cuz it redlining daily but likely cuz it’s pushing 80% more power than it was on oem tune.

And yes, I agree, that most people who tune will enjoy their tuned vehicle more so than if it weren’t tuned. On top of that, I gather from perusing this and other forums that people like to drive these cars at low rpms. I’m talking about people up shifting at 2k rpms. This leads me to suspect that a great deal of these same people will find them selves accelerating and boosting at low rpms in high gears which can be very detrimental to DIT engines, ESPECIALLY SO in 5th or 6th gears where gearing ratio is unfavorable and results in highER torque applications than car was set up/tuned for.
When I owned the Si, I pretty much always shifted at higher RPM's, anywhere from 4500 to 5000 rpms. I never redlined it because of the rev limiter/fuel cutoff hitting. Most of these guys that run it at lower rpm were more concerned about MPG, that's why they shifted at lower rpm's. I never really cared much about MPG's

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
When I owned the Si, I pretty much always shifted at higher RPM's, anywhere from 4500 to 5000 rpms. I never redlined it because of the rev limiter/fuel cutoff hitting. Most of these guys that run it at lower rpm were more concerned about MPG, that's why they shifted at lower rpm's. I never really cared much about MPG's
Me either. I tuned the car so i want to enjoy it before it implodes. Lol. And when i say redlining its not like i hit red or limiter every time, but i do hit 6k rpm and full boost. But the point is i am not afraid of pushing it.

And i roll at high rpms, 3000. Shift between 4-5000k on regular driving but i also downshift if rolling below 3000rpm, 2500rpm being the low limit. Just my driving style, not saying its the way to drive.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Me either. I tuned the car so i want to enjoy it before it implodes. Lol. And when i say redlining its not like i hit red or limiter every time, but i do hit 6k rpm and full boost. But the point is i am not afraid of pushing it.

And i roll at high rpms, 3000. Shift between 4-5000k on regular driving but i also downshift if rolling below 3000rpm, 2500rpm being the low limit. Just my driving style, not saying its the way to drive.
Ha ha I do the same with my Lexus. It will rev out all the way to redline if you WOT. I want to enjoy my car(s) to their fullest

Muscleman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Rigby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
CVT lag is completely different from wastegate actuator problem I had a Jetta TDI that the wastegate actuator
Failed the car had no power at all it was so underpowered the transmission wouldn’t shift into higher gear CVT lag is just a little lag when accelerating
How do I fix it?

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How do I fix it?
CVT lag is a combination of the time it takes for your CVT to adjust its ratio and the time it takes for the turbo to spool up. Unless it has recently become a problem, the only way to fix it is thru re tuning the ECU. If it's due to a problem you may need to take it to the dealer. You can also try removing the negative terminal from the battery and let it sit for 10 minutes to reset the ECU and let the ECU re-learn

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
HotPaperPlate blew his engine on the TSP stage 1 tune, and he wasn't on ethanol. He also constantly monitored his data on his V2 and did not abuse his Si. He was very meticulous with the maintenance of his car. See post #30:

https://www.civicx.com/threads/blew-my-si.34159/page-2

edit* spelling.
I remember this post. There is no follow up, and no evidence that it was caused by the TSP tune. There are also some posts with blown 100 percent stock engines as well. There is always more to the story

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I remember this post. There is no follow up, and no evidence that it was caused by the TSP tune. There are also some posts with blown 100 percent stock engines as well. There is always more to the story
There's definitely no convincing you of anything. In your mind it will always, 100% be the driver's fault, and 100% never be the tune.

I am running a KT basemap, and even I acknowledge there is an increase in the risk of blowing my engine then there would be just running on the stock tune. But it is a risk I am willing to take because the stock tune is weak.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It would be stupid to think that tunes are 100% reliable. Hell, stock motors take a dump at random from time to time.

There's absolutely no such thing as 100% reliability.

Muscleman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Rigby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
It would be stupid to think that tunes are 100% reliable. Hell, stock motors take a dump at random from time to time.

There's absolutely no such thing as 100% reliability.
Your 100%- wrong ok gtman and that amira thing said it's not the tune its 100% the driver fault and ktuner/tsp is beyond reliable ok

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your 100%- wrong ok gtman and that amira thing said it's not the tune its 100% the driver fault and ktuner/tsp is beyond reliable ok

I'm sure running e85 had absolutely nothing to do with this failure... The injector failures on tuned and un tuned motors is probably nothing too

Or maybe, just maybe it's a combination of things that are a little different in each situation

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There's definitely no convincing you of anything. In your mind it will always, 100% be the driver's fault, and 100% never be the tune.

I am running a KT basemap, and even I acknowledge there is an increase in the risk of blowing my engine then there would be just running on the stock tune. But it is a risk I am willing to take because the stock tune is weak.
I'm not sure where you got that, and in fact I am surprised (and frankly shocked) you would even write that about me. There is always a risk in changing stock perimeters (tuning) and I have always stated that. It's risk vs rewards, and are you willing to take that risk for the reward. I have also always said staying stock will give you the best longevity.

I hope that clears your mind of any doubts where I stand
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.