Casstyperawr

First Name
Cassidy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R, 2018 civic Type R
Country flag
Ok! I know there have been lots of post on the well known 4th gear lockout or whatever you want to call it issue. But... took my car into Honda for as it is excessive. I am somehow the first documented case in the US and they still have to get it to replicate it of course which is taking forever. So my real question is... is this still happening to people? Are you just ignoring it? Has anyone actually found the real cause?? Help!!
Sponsored

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
I've had 4th gear lockouts. Maybe 3-4 times if even that. They have however been me not finding the gate correctly or not having the clutch pedal fully down. Since I made personal adjustments to my shifting. I haven't had an issue. 19 3900miles. October purchase.

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Seems to me like it's really a hit or miss with it. I have a 19 with 7k miles on it and never experienced a lockout.

CanadianFK8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
I experienced the "issue" with the 2-3 shift under hard pulls. I was trying to shift too quickly (not fully depressing the clutch pedal and hitting the gate between 3/5) once I slowed down a bit it has been fine since. You really do have to make sure the clutch pedal is on the floor. At least that was my take-away.

OP
OP
Casstyperawr

Casstyperawr

First Name
Cassidy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've had 4th gear lockouts. Maybe 3-4 times if even that. They have however been me not finding the gate correctly or not having the clutch pedal fully down. Since I made personal adjustments to my shifting. I haven't had an issue. 19 3900miles. October purchase.
So I thought for some time it could be driver error, but I do own 2 CTRs. 1 17’ with 24k and 1 19’ with 2k and the 19 is the only one it happens in, and only in 4th gear. I firmly believe this is not drivers error and is definitely the car.

OP
OP
Casstyperawr

Casstyperawr

First Name
Cassidy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I experienced the "issue" with the 2-3 shift under hard pulls. I was trying to shift too quickly (not fully depressing the clutch pedal and hitting the gate between 3/5) once I slowed down a bit it has been fine since. You really do have to make sure the clutch pedal is on the floor. At least that was my take-away.
This is happening only in 4th gear and does not matter the way it’s being driven, the weather, nothing matters. Just whenever it feels necessary to be annoying lol.

OP
OP
Casstyperawr

Casstyperawr

First Name
Cassidy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Seems to me like it's really a hit or miss with it. I have a 19 with 7k miles on it and never experienced a lockout.
Yeah I own a 17’ with 24k and have never experienced it. My 19 with 2k is the one I have the issues in.

Deleted member 31314

I know I have heard this on the forums a bunch of times but I have never experienced it on my CTR yet personally. I have a 19 as well. Did you talk to Honda directly or just the dealer? Hard to imagine with how much this is mentioned that no one else in the US has taken their car in...

Mat8754

First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I have a 19' CTR and this was a regular occurrence for me. As I broke the car in and drove more it happened less and less and now it does not happen at all. For reference my car has about 8,000 miles on it now. I also drive much less these days but I think I had to break in the transmission a little bit.

It is 100% not driver error.

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
I have a 2019 with almost 9k miles and haven't had an issue with that, I daily my car as well. I've had the 2nd gear crunch a few times but nothing with a lockout

Mat8754

First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
If I remember correctly it would only happen to me on downshifts into fourth never upshifts, but very regularly. A temporary solution that I found was just double clutching when downshifting into fourth. Also I got my car in December of 2018.

OP
OP
Casstyperawr

Casstyperawr

First Name
Cassidy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I know I have heard this on the forums a bunch of times but I have never experienced it on my CTR yet personally. I have a 19 as well. Did you talk to Honda directly or just the dealer? Hard to imagine with how much this is mentioned that no one else in the US has taken their car in...
I am dealing with the dealer, he said he went through Honda National Tech line and still found no reported cases in the US. Now one of the service managers are driving my car until they can replicate it. Ugh!

josh8604

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR BBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am dealing with the dealer, he said he went through Honda National Tech line and still found no reported cases in the US. Now one of the service managers are driving my car until they can replicate it. Ugh!
So your car is sitting at the dealer and the employees are putting miles on your Type R?

OP
OP
Casstyperawr

Casstyperawr

First Name
Cassidy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So your car is sitting at the dealer and the employees are putting miles on your Type R?
Basically yes. Using it as a daily. Only option they gave me to even think about getting it fixed. I apparently am the only Type R owner who cares to figure out what the 4th gear lockout is all about.

OP
OP
Casstyperawr

Casstyperawr

First Name
Cassidy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a 19' CTR and this was a regular occurrence for me. As I broke the car in and drove more it happened less and less and now it does not happen at all. For reference my car has about 8,000 miles on it now. I also drive much less these days but I think I had to break in the transmission a little bit.

It is 100% not driver error.
I just don’t understand how people just ignore this? It drives me completely insane and isn’t something a brand new car should be doing. It should not lock you out of a gear for 8k at least and then just fix itself.
Sponsored