Status
Not open for further replies.

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
My buddy has been running TSP stage two for A while now and he just called me right now saying that he threw a rod. He basically has everything PRL. He also said he was getting some misfire so I’m guessing that’s due to either bad spark plug or a failing injector. I hooked him up with Driver B so I know he’ll be taken care of
Sponsored

Szn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SI
Country flag
Can you get more info? How was it running leading up to this, fuel trims, knock, money shift, etc

I was planning on going TSP Stage 2 soon.

OP
OP
JDMpo0kie

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can you get more info? How was it running leading up to this, fuel trims, knock, money shift, etc

I was planning on going TSP Stage 2 soon.
Yeah once he finds out I’ll find out.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
JDMpo0kie, what is the cost of blowing a motor and getting a new one installed in this car?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Way more info needed. I almost guarantee he abused the ride or wasn't keeping his eye on datalogs. With bolt ons and Stage 2 you HAVE TO monitor things.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Way more info needed. I almost guarantee he abused the ride or wasn't keeping his eye on datalogs. With bolt ons and Stage 2 you HAVE TO monitor things.
Clearly, but also, ethanol tuning sure seems to push the stock block further than it can go. Flex seems a common denominator in most of the engine failures we’ve seen. You really need to build the bottom end if you want to go there reliably. That’s my sense at least.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
^ No doubt. High ethanol seems to be an issue especially with these higher power tunes.

It also bugs me when people's topic titles sort of make it seems as though the tune (TSP in this case) was the culprit. There always is way more to the story.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And also if your shit is misfiring deal with that. That’s another thing you see in many of these tales of woe. In for updates though.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
^ No doubt. High ethanol seems to be an issue with these higher power tunes.

It also bugs me when people's topic titles sort of make it seems as though the tune was the culprit. There always is way more to the story.
Stressing the injectors too, which seem like a weak point to begin with.

OP
OP
JDMpo0kie

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
^ No doubt. High ethanol seems to be an issue especially with these higher power tunes.

It also bugs me when people's topic titles sort of make it seems as though the tune (TSP in this case) was the culprit. There always is way more to the story.
Yes he told me he was running full E85. I just found out. But also read the post. Didn’t say it WAS the tune. I simply describe what tune he was on just because I know that a lot of people want to go stage 2 And just tell you what could potentially happen no matter how conservative stage 2 is. Ya running full E will cause issues but I was on E36 on Tsp stage 2 and it blew.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
After all the reading I've done, I wouldn't touch full e85 with a ten foot pole.

In this case... full e85, full bolt-ons, misfires, high power tune...and boom.

Having started the tuning reliability survey here, there is a definite pattern. Those running base type tunes without full bolt ons on high octane e10 gas generally do really well in terms of reliability. Those looking for ULTIMATE power in these 10th gen turbos often end up with a sad story.

OP
OP
JDMpo0kie

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
After all the reading I've done, I wouldn't touch full e85 with a ten foot pole.

In this case... full e85, full bolt-ons, misfires, high power tune...and boom.

Having started the tuning reliability survey here, there is a definite pattern. Those running base type tunes without full bolt ons on high octane e10 gas generally do really well in terms of reliability. Those looking for ULTIMATE power in these 10th gen turbos often end up with a sad story.
Yeah I’ve noticed the pattern as well I’m on. TSP stage 1 with only 1 bolt on and that’s my catless downpipe. Seems like it’s been a pretty reliable tune in the community

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Aren't we NOT suppose to run full E85 and run a blend only even on KTuner/Hondata/TSP maps?

Speaking of which, if the injectors are to blame here, maybe @Hondata will make some injectors for the 1.5 platform like they did for the Type-R.

RLegionSi

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Aren't we NOT suppose to run full E85 and run a blend only even on KTuner/Hondata/TSP maps?

Speaking of which, if the injectors are to blame here, maybe @Hondata will make some injectors for the 1.5 platform like they did for the Type-R.
On the TSP Stage 2 tune, it is recommended you run an E35 blend for best performance and reliability. Running full E85 can potentially cause detonation. These cars aren’t equipped to handle full E85.

I’ve been running TSP Stage 2 for about 15k miles sticking w the recommended amount of ethanol and she’s been running like a champ. I keep her in check and she’s mechanically sound. I don’t always run ethanol though. Personally, I run full 93 for a few weeks at a time, then tinker w E35 for a week or so to have some fun.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.