Anyone else need new tires so soon?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went with 35 profile all seasons on OEM wheels. Calmed the ride and I don't fear potholes near as much. Car still feels stuck to the road and the speedo difference is minimal(+1.2 mph at 30 mph). Purist will throw a fit at this change, but car to be used occasionally in winter. It is still a blast to drive...to me.
Found the grip of my all seasons last weekend.. took a corner at what might be admittedly a bit too fast of speed, and VSA saved my ASS from under steering off the road.

It was like 50 degrees and I forgot I didn’t have my PS4s on... oops. Needless to say I’m not driving that hard anymore until summer :confused:
Sponsored

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Found the grip of my all seasons last weekend.. took a corner at what might be admittedly a bit too fast of speed, and VSA saved my ASS from under steering off the road.

It was like 50 degrees and I forgot I didn’t have my PS4s on... oops. Needless to say I’m not driving that hard anymore until summer :confused:
Zeffy: Which all seasons do you have? If I remember you went with 35's as well?

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag

That's crazy. I bet your heart rate went up a bit. Mine did by just imagining I was in your recent situation.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
I know this is a performance car, but at 22k miles I already need new tires. I never tracked the car and most of my driving is highway. I slam on it sometimes, but they ALL are extremely low.

Honda is quoting around $1700 for four new tires and an alignment. Should I get them somewhere else? Anyone have theirs replaced yet?
22k is typical for the stock tires. A lot of (quite silly) folks were trying to say here that the CTR wasn't practical because Honda warned the stock tires would only last 10k. I didn't think they would really only last 10k, so it's good to hear 22k. That being said, michelin pilot sport 4S tires are $1327 for a set on tire rack and a mount and balance and alignment should run $250 so you should be able to get the job done for $1577. I have 18 inch versions of those tires and it looks like I'll get 30-32k miles out of them. (There are cheaper options that will give you more miles, but you'd sacrifice the performance. This will give you the grip the CTR was capable of off the showroom floor and almost 50% more tire life)

Also, if you get a set of 18 inch wheels, the MPS4S tires will only cost $820!

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Zeffy: Which all seasons do you have? If I remember you went with 35's as well?
DWS06, 245/35/20. Still provides great handling and the extra sidewall provides more peace of mind when it comes to not blowing a rim off of a pothole.

That's crazy. I bet your heart rate went up a bit. Mine did by just imagining I was in your recent situation.
YUP! I wasn’t even speeding - speed limit was 45, I was at 40 - the curve was just increasingly sharp (which I failed to realize) until I realized “oh shit” when I felt the front tires lose grip and my car begin to steer straight. Then I felt the car swing as VSA saved me from ending up god knows where.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
YUP! I wasn’t even speeding - speed limit was 45, I was at 40 - the curve was just increasingly sharp (which I failed to realize) until I realized “oh shit” when I felt the front tires lose grip and my car begin to steer straight. Then I felt the car swing as VSA saved me from ending up god knows where.
More throttle!!

josh8604

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR BBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know this is a performance car, but at 22k miles I already need new tires. I never tracked the car and most of my driving is highway. I slam on it sometimes, but they ALL are extremely low.

Honda is quoting around $1700 for four new tires and an alignment. Should I get them somewhere else? Anyone have theirs replaced yet?
Sheesh! That is pricey, I read in Car & Driver or MotorTrend that they had to replace their front tires before 10K miles. So, 22K is amazing. I hope I can keep my original tires for that amount of miles!

codeBoss

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe; 2019 CTR
Country flag
22K...that’s great!

I’m at about 15k and I’ll be lucky if I make it to the next oil change.

I thought I was doing good at 15k

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you managed to get 22k out of the stock tires, maybe you could save some money and get less grippy longer lasting tires? I blew through my first set of Contis in under 9k.

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag

FOR $1200 BUY A SET OF STOCK TIRES AND WHEELS HERE, THEY ARE LISTED ALL THE TIME. OTHERWISE BUY NEW 18S LIKE EVERYONE IS SUGGESTING; I DID.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
My CTR is a daily driver, the only car that I own here in coastal southern New England. I drive it about 8000 miles per year. The winters here are usually relatively mild, the temperatures only occasionally going down into the mid to lower 20s or teens, sometimes lower. I bought a set of real winter tires to go on the stock wheels last year, the only ones I could find, Pirelli SottoZero 3, which are now listed on Tire Rack at about $450 each. I got them through a regional tire chain, Town Fair Tire. They match the Tire Rack price and provide after sale service, such as mounting, rotations, seasonal changes, repairs etc., locally at very reasonable prices.

From a handling perspective for daily driving the Pirellis are excellent, close to the summer tires. They feel a little ‘squirmy’ in dry conditions, perhaps a result of the compound, perhaps more the tread pattern, but generally OK and are great in slippery conditions, and good traction in snow. The wear also seems to be good. I expect that I will get last winter, this winter and maybe one or two more before they need to be replaced. After that I would consider all-season tires instead, just based on price and my weather conditions which do not necessarily require a true winter tire. Recent comments on the CivicX forum regarding marginal performance of all-season tires in winter conditions give me some questions about that. In the event, Tire Rack does not show any all-season tires in the OEM size, so the whole issue of all-seasons may be moot based on availability if you want to stay with the OEM wheels.

For $1200 shipped, I purchased a used set of OEM wheels for the winter tires. They had a set of partially worn summer Falkens on them which I may or may not eventually use. The reviews on them seem to be okay, and probably I could get a ‘free’ season out of them when the Continentals wear out.

For summer, as I look at the real market out there, I have been thinking that the when Continentals wear out, another summer or maybe even two, perhaps I’ll use the Falkens for one summer and then go to Michelin Pilot Sport4s for about the same price as the Continentals to get the alleged very good tread wear. On the other hand, as I see virtually brand-new sets of OEM wheels and tires coming up on the Internet for $1200, less than the cost of just a set of new tires, I’m continually highly tempted. I can easily drive a couple of hundred miles to pick up a deal like that. Who needs three sets of wheels? To me, given the deal who doesn’t want another set of wheels that includes a set of almost new summer tires for about the same price?

BTW, I did take pothole damage on one of the Pirellis probably because of the low profile. Could have been worse if they weren't properly inflated, 35 psi. This fall, when I took the one-season used winter tires in to be changed onto my new, to me, set of used wheels, the dealer told me that the one that had been on the right front had shoulder damage, a ‘slice’, which was irreparable. Somehow, I had gotten from December to about April with no problem with that, even though I do 30-day tire pressure checks year-round. I do remember hitting a pothole when I swerved onto a shoulder to avoid an idiot that had braked to make a left turn in front of me without signaling. I had to bite the bullet and buy a new tire, for which they gave me a very fair price. There is no question that with low-profile tires if there are bad roads and you don’t drive carefully there’s always the potential of ruining a tire and possibly a wheel. On the other hand, at the cost of used OEM wheels, what’s the big deal, other than the inconvenience of having to deal with the damage? You could have extra wheels in stock at $300 apiece if it happens.

Just a different point of view.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
DWS06, 245/35/20. Still provides great handling and the extra sidewall provides more peace of mind when it comes to not blowing a rim off of a pothole.

dsw compound changes at 50% wear FYI

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
I've heard this elsewhere re: summer tires, please elaborate on this change in regard to why, wear, handling, etc.
At 50% wear the compound feels like a couple tire classes lower on a car like the R. It definitely at that point is not capable in the snow any longer at all. In fact I believe at 65% ish there is no longer any wet capability either. And that’s by design.

This type of degradation makes it feel like a bait and switch with regard to tires.

most tires will degrade as they get closer to their wear bars but the dsw starts way too early.

“A visible "DWS" indicates the tire has appropriate tread depth for dry conditions, as well as wet roads and snow. After the "S" has worn away, the remaining "DW" indicates the tire only has appropriate tread depth for dry and most wet road conditions. And after the "W" and "S"have both worn away, the remaining "D" indicates the tire has appropriate tread depth for dry conditions only.”

I just can’t recommend these for people that expect consistency through most of the expected lifetime of a tire.
Sponsored