Hybrid Shifter or Acuity Shifter?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Can't speak on the Hybrid shifter but I recently installed the Acuity shifter and holy shit does it feel like a different car. Definitely feels solid and precise. I thought I'd regret spending so much on it but I don't regret it one bit.
Sponsored

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I just need to ask others here, because I'm not getting precise information in another thread...

Those with the Acuity short shifter, are you experiencing any high-pitched clank sound from the centering spring when going from 2nd to 3rd gear? I first mistakenly described it as a "squeak," but it's not an actual squeak in the normal sense, just the sound that emits from it. Or does yours sound the same as going to other gears?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just need to ask others here, because I'm not getting precise information in another thread...

Those with the Acuity short shifter, are you experiencing any high-pitched clank sound from the centering spring when going from 2nd to 3rd gear? I first mistakenly described it as a "squeak," but it's not an actual squeak in the normal sense, just the sound that emits from it. Or does yours sound the same as going to other gears?
I'm not experiencing this.

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

I am not experiencing this at all either.

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag

Are you letting the shifter snap back to center entirely under its own force? Meaning are you just pushing forward and letting it snap to center on its own? This may be why you are hearing the spring contact the spring rest. Worst case, you can always contact us to send it in for inspection, but based on the video you posted and the descriptions, that's my best guess of what/why you're hearing something.

~Russ

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are you letting the shifter snap back to center entirely under its own force? Meaning are you just pushing forward and letting it snap to center on its own? This may be why you are hearing the spring contact the spring rest. Worst case, you can always contact us to send it in for inspection, but based on the video you posted and the descriptions, that's my best guess of what/why you're hearing something.

~Russ
It could be, but then does that mean I've been shifting wrong all my life? To make it make no sound, from 2nd gear I have to deliberately (and somewhat slowly, not really but relatively so) go zig-zag straight upward, then straight to the right with resisting force, then straight upward to 3rd gear.

Normally I just makeshift my own diagonal pattern; obviously not a true diagonal, but that is the direction I push my hand in. That makes it snap back to center on its own, because it's not getting resistance from me going back to center, and rather I am aiding it which likely just makes it go faster.

And sending it in is definitely a worst-case scenario for me. I'm not looking forward to tearing it apart again, especially if that means putting the regular shifter back in.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Was the rod height set the same? If one was set very low and the other very high, it changes the fulcrum point and any slack from the cables will be noticed even more

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Was the rod height set the same? If one was set very low and the other very high, it changes the fulcrum point and any slack from the cables will be noticed even more
I'll be sure to investigate that at some point, for sure. I know that the knob height isn't too low so that it's grinding with the shifter, though.

Friction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I see this much discussion about shifter mods that are so passionate, it really puts the discussion of other mods on this forum into perspective when there is no objective benefit. You're just rowing gears. Changing the feel when its just fine from the factory is silly. Hundreds of dollars + labor for a different feel. Its weird.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When I see this much discussion about shifter mods that are so passionate, it really puts the discussion of other mods on this forum into perspective when there is no objective benefit. You're just rowing gears. Changing the feel when its just fine from the factory is silly. Hundreds of dollars + labor for a different feel. Its weird.
After I did it, I'm somewhat inclined to agree. Going off of reviews and videos though, I expected like this massive overhaul or something. I guess this change to me is a bit overrated, but now that I paid for it and did it, though I do like the feel more, I'd agree that no change to the shifter is worth like $500 extra (plus the $150 knob that I bought, which IMO is awesome, but OEM was fine as well).

I mean every review says something like: "With this shifter, you know when you're in gear," as if to say that before I had this shifter, they make it sound like I wake up in the morning, helplessly shit and piss myself, then lose three of my teeth before I discover that I am trying to eat a rock for breakfast. Yes, it firmly goes into gear... but I never had trouble "getting into gear" before. In fact, with this shifter, I've accidentally started on third gear multiple times because of the force I have to bring it to in order to get it into first gear. I'm not complaining, I'm just stating what has happened before with this.

Maybe it's because I'm not a racer, so maybe what I got wasn't supposed to be for me. I'm just trying to maximize my driving experience, and I thought this would do this. For the most part though, it is. I don't know if I can justify spending so much money on it, but hey... it's working out. I just have to figure out this sound next, otherwise I will consider this purchase to be a regret.

Friction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I appreciate this response. I was worried when I clicked post reply. I said what I did based on past experience of going down the short shifter rabbit hole on other cars without citing that I've been there done that. This is one of those things that is good enough from the factory. It does take effort to resist the mod bug and I've learned plenty the hard way. Just because people sell it doesn't mean its something you need.

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
paying $400+ for a shifter is insane. maybe 200 at most.

i bought the acuity components like the rocker arm and centering spring and base bushings, and it definitely made it feel tighter but that was much less than the full $478 acuity shifter. id never pay that.

id say just staying stock feels good enough as the oem shifter is still very sporty feeling.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't see how anyone who has actually used the Acuity shifter can say it doesn't totally transform the shifting feel of this car.

Before spending over $400 on it, I thought it was a lot... And I still do but I don't regret it at all.

This thing almost ruins the rest of the car for me lol

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
id say just staying stock feels good enough as the oem shifter is still very sporty feeling.
You really should find someone with one. The difference is huge
Sponsored