Was the Si your 1st manual?

RKS17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37s
Country flag
How long did it take you to get used to it?

I'm old and have been through many stick shift but the Si is for my son. He's been practicing in my G37 with a stage 2 clutch and while his left calf is growing; his confidence is not. The Si should be here the 1st week in January so he has a few more days to practice. I keep telling him that Honda makes the smoothest manuals but he almost rather have a Sport w/ automatic.
Sponsored

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This Si of mine was my first manual in 5 years. My very first car was manual (beater car) and lasted 2 months before it kicked the bucket. Drove auto from that point on, up until I got this Si a month ago.

It takes getting used to, but I’ve got the pattern mostly down. You just have to keep trying to find the sweet spots for the gas/clutch when going into first, then first to second. Those are the hardest spots.

Still jerks on me once in a while especially going from 1-2, and sometimes I have a bad day of shifting, but I’m picking it up easy and flying through the gears like it’s nothing 90% of the time now as long as I’m alone and not distracted. Now that I’ve got the hang of it, I would never go back to auto if I don’t have to.

Also, if he’s nervous on hills, the car has hill start assist and brake hold he can use until he gets used to starting on hills. I did this for a couple weeks until I became more confident.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
13th manual for me :D I love it, feels great rowing thru the gears.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
My first stick was a brand new off the boat 1984 CRX. I left the dealership and it was on the job training so to speak. My 5 mile drive home from the dealer was an adventure and I did stall it once at a light. No hill hold back then! By the time I got home, I felt more confident. In a matter of a week or two I was a pro with the manual. Honda manuals are some of the best and most forgiving in the business.

Your son will be fine and love the control and fun factor of the manual.

Last edited:

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
The best thing you can do is teach him how a manual transmissions works, what it looks like, so he knows exactly what is happening underneath and around him mechanically when he presses that pedal and moves that shifter. This way when the car is jerking and stalling he knows why and what he is doing incorrectly.

Youtube has a slew of dedicated car content creators and passionate drivers with great informational videos. I highly recommend searching around for some of these channels in your spare time.

Understanding how the clutch assembly works and the physics associated with it has helped me immensely in becoming more passionate about learning how to drive the Si properly.

It took me about a month and a few thousands miles for it to really click for me that I never want to be without a manual transmission honda in my driveway ever again.

MaTtKs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First manual was an 87 CRX which was my first car. I had to take my little brother to school and was up all night worried about the exit which had a stop sign on a steep hill. With the automatic brake hold on the new cars, that’s no longer a worry.

My dad taught me how to drive a stick on his old Mazda B2200. Took me a month or so to get comfortable driving by myself. You’re doing it the right way. He’ll be fine with some practice.

LamboNguyen

First Name
Lam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R | Past: 01 Prelude, 19 SI, 16 Q50 3.0t
Country flag
Yes sir! Came from driving an 01 Prelude for a solid 5 to 6 years and always wanted a manual for most of those years. Saved up and grabbed the SI, no regrets yet at all and it's a blast to drive! Prior to my SI, the only manual experience I had was driving an 89 CRX but that was only like two times because it was my friends.

I personally found that once the muscle memory kicks in and he gets more used to using his left leg for the clutch, he'll get it down pretty easily within a week or two, at most three. I picked my car up an hour away from home so with basically no experience I stalled once but got back home with ease. The clutch in these cars imo are very light and forgiving but finding the engagement point can be a bit different because it's so light.

Last edited:

kalin21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Si is my 2nd Manual trans car...first was my 2004 Civic Coupe..I am always fan of manual trans cars ,never owned an automatic

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
If he would rather have an automatic ... This sounds like trouble. I relish the idea of driving manually and would except no other alternatives. No automatic and certainly no paddle shifter nonsense. I am actually very conservative. A Ronald Reagan conservative. The Si coupe in ralley red is my "alter ego" ... I added a weighted shift knob K&N panel filter and muffler delete. Best of all I added a block off recirculation plate so I vent to atmosphere. The car is amazing but it is NOT easy to drive. The gears are notchy and tight. It takes a LOT of finesse to row your own gears!

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Learned on an NB Miata. My impressions of this manual: it takes some getting used to. Bite point is non-existent on stock (I think it's that dual spring clutch nonsense so before and after bite point feels like the same resistance). It's purely muscle memory, so expect to spend time finding that point. However, it is light as a feather, not once has my leg bothered me driving through even the worst of Atlanta rush hour traffic.

Personally the revving is horrendous. Computerized rev hang plus what I can only assume is a really heavy flywheel means the rpms take DAYS to drop. Not quite like banging gear after gear in the Miata was. However some might prefer this as you have plenty of time to shift.

Shifter is medium travel (on a scale of short throw to 1970s F150). Very notchy, you will have no doubts whether or not you're in gear nor which gear you're in.

Overall, it'll take some getting used to, not my most favorite manual I've ever driven, but it's very comfortable to drive, a good choice for a first manual to own and practice on (and hill start assist and brake hold will definitely help with those nervous starts).

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not exactly an Si, but my Type R is my first manual. I also learned how to drive manual on it.

Jayceegee

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
I am 68 years old and have owned a lot of vehicles with manual transmission. The Civic Si is probably the worst car ever when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. The jerky ride simple can not be smoothed out. Try shifting at low RPM or high RPM - doesn't matter. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with the Sport and automatic transmission

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
I am 68 years old and have owned a lot of vehicles with manual transmission. The Civic Si is probably the worst car ever when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. The jerky ride simple can not be smoothed out. Try shifting at low RPM or high RPM - doesn't matter. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with the Sport and automatic transmission
Always owned Honda manuals and loved them all. My favs were my Integra GSR and the 10thgen Si.

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
If he would rather have an automatic ... This sounds like trouble. I relish the idea of driving manually and would except no other alternatives. No automatic and certainly no paddle shifter nonsense. I am actually very conservative. A Ronald Reagan conservative. The Si coupe in ralley red is my "alter ego" ... I added a weighted shift knob K&N panel filter and muffler delete. Best of all I added a block off recirculation plate so I vent to atmosphere. The car is amazing but it is NOT easy to drive. The gears are notchy and tight. It takes a LOT of finesse to row your own gears!
old ronnie would be proud of you and your si.
Sponsored