SCcivic

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 300zx 2012 Corolla S 2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
Does anyone know why the dealer doesn't use 0w-20 full synthetic for our FK7 cars?
I just went to the dealer for an oil change and once again they used 0w-20 synthetic blend, even after I had asked them for full synthetic since my engine is turbo.

the paperwork states that I "request for premium oil & filter change" yet it also states that synthetic blend was used from the bulk bins. Am I missing something???

Toyota always used full synthetic for 0w-20 in my corolla. Didn't even have to ask the fuckers.
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Does anyone know why the dealer doesn't use 0w-20 full synthetic for our FK7 cars?
I just went to the dealer for an oil change and once again they used 0w-20 synthetic blend, even after I had asked them for full synthetic since my engine is turbo.

the paperwork states that I "request for premium oil & filter change" yet it also states that synthetic blend was used from the bulk bins. Am I missing something???

Toyota always used full synthetic for 0w-20 in my corolla. Didn't even have to ask the fuckers.
You missed asking them the question: Why? They would probably say the technician made a mistake and didn't look at the work order. Depending on how upset you were, you could then accept it, or ask for this oil change to be on them. There is nothing wrong with asking people to pay for their mistakes and the price of oil change is not a horrible price to pay. Unless someone makes mistakes all the time, and then he should pay accordingly anyway.

I did that when the dealer service failed to use my oil two times in a row, although they noted my request in the paperwork. I protested, and they didn't charge me for the oil change. I understood they don't like to fiddle with customer's oil, and never came back there for oil change again.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
" You missed asking them the question: Why? "
- Gruber

100% right
I never go at a dealer, they not always listen to you. My small town mechanic do.
I do my own oil change.

SCcivic check the undershield panel screws. Dealer forget to tightened them sometimes with oil change.

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring in Sonic Gray
Country flag
Damn I was actually looking forward to having factory oil changes for "free" but now I'm questioning whether or not I even wanna go to the dealership for it lol.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Damn I was actually looking forward to having factory oil changes for "free" but now I'm questioning whether or not I even wanna go to the dealership for it lol.

Nothing is free, they want your money.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

As Mark11 said, the semi-synthetic will be fine. The real issue is did they charge you for full or the semi?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
The engine will not fall apart if the Honda Genuine 0W20 Synthetic Blend part number 08798-9036 is used, as it was originally recommended, for example here:

https://www.civicx.com/threads/i-got-this-from-my-dealership-for-reference.43688/

But...The Synthetic Blend 0W-20 has been discontinued and replaced with a Full Synthetic. The new part number is 08798-9063. I understand the not full synthetic (blend) is no longer offered by Honda.
So...no reason to pour in the discontinued blend except to avoid the price penalty for the "full synthetic service."

I haven't been bothering with anything other than full synthetic because I change the oil myself so there is no penalty for me.

Last edited:

Bullet_127

First Name
Arturo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is doing my own oil change void the factory warranty?

Bullet_127

First Name
Arturo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks

I want to do it myself, but I still have 18 months left on the 3 yr warranty and they want me to take it in every 3 months. Changes are free though...

OP
OP

SCcivic

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 300zx 2012 Corolla S 2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
As Mark11 said, the semi-synthetic will be fine. The real issue is did they charge you for full or the semi?
They charged me $32 labor and $33 parts and oil total $68. So honestly I don't know.
This is my first Honda, coming from years with Toyota. Not too impressed with Hondas Service Dept. Will do my own work once my warranty expires in a year.
Sponsored