PRL Motorsports FK8 Civic Type-R Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade

CXRB17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan LX, '17 CTR (PA Signed in WI, ETA 5/31-6/7, Blue)
Country flag
As many of you have probably seen on our social media, we strapped our CT-R back on the rollers a few days ago after a much needed clutch install to continue testing our prototype drop-in turbocharger upgrade with @Hondata's new EGT Air Charge Reduction Disable update. Though we are still make great power per PSI of boost and still at relatively moderate boost, today we reached what we currently feel is the end of the road pushing the limits with the factory fuel system (and stock engine). A built engine and fuel system upgrade(s) could really show what this turbocharger is capable of. We see no reason that this turbo can't reach 500+ horsepower.

CTR%20Turbo%20Best_zpsy7dfdhy7.jpg

We managed to put down 463 horsepower and 413 ft/lbs torque with a target boost of 24 PSI at peak torque, tapering to 27 PSI at redline to keep the torque dialed back for safety/longevity. – Boost reference = MAP

CTR%20Turbo%20Consistency_zpsy1tm4g9m.jpg

We tried to make various adjustments in an effort to break the 470+ horsepower barrier, but simply could not. However, this setup consistently made power despite the adjustments that were thrown at it.

CTR%20Turbo%20Pissed_zps7hvxzuwj.jpg

Run 6 was our first run where we crested the 450+ horsepower mark (with a bit more torque than expected). You can see that the graph looks rather jagged and erratic. During this run the fuel system was at its limits, with the DIFP maxed almost the entire run, which caused the ECU to fluctuate in and out of open loop. We found a happy medium in Run 7 when we dialed back requested torque, increased start of injection timing and decreased midrange fuel pressure to keep everything happy. The next two runs we attempted to push things a bit further with minor tweaks, but could not due to DIFP maxing out and kicking the ECU into open loop after “peak” horsepower around 6200 RPM. At this power level/RPM, the stock fuel system is 100% at its max.

On our quest for even more power, we figured we would try a run this morning with slightly cooler air temps and a cooler engine without any other changes. However, Run 10 did not allow us to meet our goals. Instead, this run provided us with some interesting information that we would like to share with the community.

run%2010%20CTR%20turbo%20airc%20vs%20boost_zpsrr2xf0vh.png

run%209%20CTR%20datalog%20airc%20vs%20boost_zps71zywrsi.png

It appears that the Civic Type-R’s ECU is constantly in search of charge air, not actual boost. Though we did not change requested torque (which ultimately creates the boost curve) tables during the last 3 runs, Run 10 logged between 1-1.5 PSI less boost than run 9, with identical AIRC. After reviewing the last 3 logs, we noticed that AIRC remained identical with minor variances in actual boost. The Type-R’s ECU is smart enough to quickly compensate for variances in air temperature, densities, etc., which means that this setup will safely make consistent power regardless of weather, climate and elevation.

We are excited to see what this car can do at the drag strip, stay tuned for results!

What clutch did you guys install? Any issues?

Just went through a Spec clutch upgrade and I’m having some issues with install. Curious to know what you guys went with and if you ran into any problems
Sponsored

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
What is the tourque limit for the stock clutch, around 400ft/lbs? I have my throttle tables maxed at 552nm/407ft/lbs but I'm sure I don't actually get that. The only time I've felt the clutch slip is if I'm low in rpms in 5th or 6th gear and give it too much gas. Once the turbo spools up it will slip under those circumstances

I need to figure out how to shift my torque curve to the right after 4k rpm. Could anyone kindly provide me with an example of what that would look like?

Would it be as simple as leaving the values under 4k rpm alone and then just increasing 4/4.5 k and up

Last edited:
OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag

Just went through a Spec clutch upgrade and I’m having some issues with install. Curious to know what you guys went with and if you ran into any problems
We went with a clutch masters fx400, our new stock clutch spun in 3rd gear at 400tq.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
We went with a clutch masters fx400, our new stock clutch spun in 3rd gear at 400tq.
Speaking of 400 tq, how do you feel about those torque levels on a stock engine? Safe if pushed out a bit, or a ticking time bomb?

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
I am curious about the torque levels as I’ve only seen random posts about bent rods no actual verification of engine output at the time. I’ve not seen any article running stock ecu with bent rods. I’d like to truly put the heresay aside and see definitive proof. Why would Honda after all these years under-develop a crucial part like this? I understand rotational mass is important but shave grams off connecting rods but add stupid heavy 20” rims. It just isn’t logical.

06S2k07Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 S2000 22 RDX 13 CB1000R 22 Veloster N 18 Type R
Country flag
Thank you.

Do we have any reason to believe that either an FX300 or FX350 would be just fine? Thoughts?

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Speaking of 400 tq, how do you feel about those torque levels on a stock engine? Safe if pushed out a bit, or a ticking time bomb?
We have never been a fan of pushing over 100 ft/lbs tq per cylinder on stock internals and we see these as no different. From past experience, around 400 ft/lbs tq is a rather "safe" limit and we hope to see this true here. However, we also realize that anything could happen at anytime. With that being said, torque could still be further dialed back.

I am curious about the torque levels as I’ve only seen random posts about bent rods no actual verification of engine output at the time. I’ve not seen any article running stock ecu with bent rods. I’d like to truly put the heresay aside and see definitive proof. Why would Honda after all these years under-develop a crucial part like this? I understand rotational mass is important but shave grams off connecting rods but add stupid heavy 20” rims. It just isn’t logical.
We too haven't seen too many failures. Typically it is the same few horror stories that are spread around. However, keep in mind that past Hondas did not make the torque that these cars do and are capable of. Honda made a great car, but also did not exactly engineer these cars to be pushed as far as they have been. There aren't many cars, especially no 4 cylinders, that are capable of the numbers/torque that these are.

Thank you.

Do we have any reason to believe that either an FX300 or FX350 would be just fine? Thoughts?
We are not a fan of any the disc materials available at this time, only the FX400. We have had some customers use the FX350 with success, but we personally are not a fan of this disc material either. Clutch Masters suggested the FX400 for our driving/racing style and power goals.

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just reaching out with an update on this project. We have been working on quite a few big design changes behind the scenes for even more power potential, efficiency, and increased life-expectancy (life expectancy is typically decreased as boost levels are increased for extended periods of time, especially with journal bearing units). We will most likely be starting a new thread in upcoming weeks to start over with more data, specs, ETA, pricing and renderings. We expect this turbocharger upgrade to be a major game changer!

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Just reaching out with an update on this project. We have been working on quite a few big design changes behind the scenes for even more power potential, efficiency, and increased life-expectancy (life expectancy is typically decreased as boost levels are increased for extended periods of time, especially with journal bearing units). We will most likely be starting a new thread in upcoming weeks to start over with more data, specs, ETA, pricing and renderings. We expect this turbocharger upgrade to be a major game changer!
Very nice, looking forward to purchasing this since I already have the hvi, inlet pipe on order and possibly buying your intercooler next year...

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hope it's available just in time for tax season!

18RRtypeR

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R #6850, 2015 Toyota TRD PRO 4Runner
Country flag

Looking at a spec 3+ with spec flywheel... what issues did you have?

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@PRL Motorsports All I want for Christmas is a drop in turbo upgrade ;)
It won't be until spring (at the earliest I'm willing to bet)

They said a few weeks ago that they were going to post their updated unit (new design from what's posted here) that flows even better. Hoping to see what it looks like soon!
Sponsored