Snidely

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 civic si
Country flag
Not according to the car and driver review that compared the 2 engines that I sourced that info from. Either way, the biggest point to take across is that if you plan to modify your car, the 2.0 would not be a great platform to start on. If you plan to keep the car stock then test drive both and go with whichever makes you happy.
Sponsored

Bosco72

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic coupe sport
Country flag
I don't know my veloster turbo does not feel that much faster then my 2.0 in s mod.some say they don't feel any difference in s mod, I do

Last edited:

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
I know there have been a few other posts about this topic (and I've read them) but they are all 1+ years old and I was hoping for a fresh take on this subject. I was thinking about purchasing a 2020 Hatchback but than I started seeing all the problems people were having with the 1.5t engines with oil dilution. Now if oil dilution is still a problem with these engines I would be a good candidate for it as I live in a cold climate (Canada) and take lots of short trips as I am only about a 5-10 minute drive to work and don't very often take long trips anywhere.

This has me thinking if maybe I should get the sedan sport with the proven 2.0 engine instead or maybe wait another year or two for Honda to perfect there 1.5t engines. I am also concerned about the reliability as turbo adds another moving part that could go wrong and I would like this car to last a long time. Any thoughts?
I have the 2L and live in Ottawa, where I'm sure you know is ridiculously cold (-30c with wind chill on Thursday). I live 9km from work and during the cold winter months my temperature doesn't even get a quarter of the way up. No issues with the engine. Before I knew about the dilution issues I was considering a 1.5 hatch but looking back now it would have been a bad choice to get the 1.5T. Bear in mind how long you most regular journey is.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
All depends on the priorities of the original poster.
For piece of mind, longevity get the 2.0. A N/A engine has greater probabilities to be more reliable than a turbo one.

All the others the 1.5T

I would pick the turbo one. I prioritize power always. Pretty sure that there are many ways to counter attack oil dilution.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry senior chief you are hating on the 2.o, you might not think so, but you are. Same as everyone that feels the need to expel the virtue of 14 hp.
I got the 1.5 after the 2.o for monetary reasons, cheaper to make more power, that is not possible yet, maybe never, for the 2.0.
Admitting some virtues about the K20C2 but disagreeing with your statements that aren’t backed by objective data (and providing my own to prove my point) isn’t hate. I'm not that wild about the L15B7 in the Si and have been vocal about it... but it's what I settled for as it's the engine option available. While I'm honest and will compare the K20C2 under the L15B7 on certain aspects, I think I pretty consistently gush about how it's a tried and true, solid engine with a good engine note that's rewarding to wind out. Compared to the old R18 in gen 9... or competition like the 1.8 base engine option on bottom trims of the Corolla... the thing is an outstanding base engine. You're getting effectively a revised Si engine from a 00-05ish Si in a modern Civic. 20 years ago the thing was top dog.

I was kind of hoping the aftermarket would show up for the K20... but it never did. CT-E is gone and they were the big K-series SC makers. That one guy who turbo'ed his K20's thread turned into a pissing match. I don't think it's very worth it now... but in a few years when older CivicXs with 2.0s are a dime a dozen, perhaps something will come up if there's enough demand to make it worth it. I don't know if the internals are up to a lot... A3s weren't up to what L15s can do now, but that's not to say the C2 is as weak.

As for 14 hp...? Eh... that's being overly generous and only caring about peak numbers. The K20C2 stock is about a peak 130 whp engine stock all day long. K20A2/Z1/Z3/Z7 were only about 165-180ish. Reflashed K20C2s with bolt ons can about match the old performance versions. L15B7s dyno closer to their advertised numbers and the area under the power curve is large compared to the K20C2 by virtue of it's turbo... to say nothing of peak numbers. Neither one is fast... but a L15 is certainly less slow.

Sorry senior chief
No I'm not.

you haters win i will never again defend anything but the 1.5. i guess the 2.0 is the biggest pile o shit there is. i'll be laughing at everone who has one, knowing they are the fool. should i bash non si owners too.
Bash non-Sis? Sure. Why not? @gtman could probably pull right away from my TSP Stage 1 Si to 100 MPH and leave me feeling embarrassed... but you're welcome to tell him he can't I guess because it's just a non-Si with a CVT. You're such a :hater:.

Your turn!
Honda Civic 10th gen 1.5t vs 2.0 engine stickpoke

Last edited:

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
Yes I'm a hater, hate peeps that can't comprehend simple statements. Like mpg is so close it does not matter. Epa, and my experience say so. Continually bringing up factoids to perpetuate your position means your hating on, not necessarily hate. Today they call it shaming vs bullying in past times. Think about it. I generally respect your posts but, but not when you knit pick on subjects and don't let them go (very seldom ).
I see the same responders, to these vs threads, and they don't seem to comprehend the entire statement. Such as close, doesn't matter, similar, tuned and non tuned.
To wit: a tuned 2.0 is so close to the 1.5 only gets fan boy responses from turbo owners.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Why are we comparing tuned vs non tuned. Make it a fair playing field and the 1.5t will walk all over the 2.0 but mileage will be virtually identical.

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring; 2018 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
As others have stated: determine what your goal is for this car and decide based on that. The 1.5T oil dilution has absolutely been blown out of proportion. You would be hard pressed to find anyone, even those that have experienced some form of noteworthy oil dilution, provide you large scale evidence that it has had any impact other than keep them up at night for no reason. Granted, high mileage examples are not rampant quite yet but my personal initial concern over the oil dilution no longer exists and I too am someone that has very cold winters and drives <5 miles to work. Keep up on your preventative maintenance, drive it to enjoy it (assuming that is why you would want the 1.5T) and you will be fine. It's all about what you are trying to accomplish really and outside of the complete assumption you would have to make, backed up by zero apples to apples data, i see no reason to go with the 2.0 unless cost is the factor or you want something you can beat up on and not keep up on the maintenance I.E. treat the car like crap.

No hate to those who have the 2.0 as others have stated it's still a great engine and far superior to prior non performance stock options of the civics of old IMHO.

Either way, 10th Gens are worlds ahead of the Econoboxes of the past (excluding performance variants that will always hold a certain level of immortality within the enthusiast community). My hatchback makes my prior 2.4L accord and prior 1.7L civic feel like a geo metro in comparison (minor exaggeration of course ;)) and gets impeccable gas mileage to boot! Performance/handling+amazing gas mileage=win

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
Why are we comparing tuned vs non tuned. Make it a fair playing field and the 1.5t will walk all over the 2.0 but mileage will be virtually identical.
that's what i'm trying to relate, this particular thread isnt about tuned or not and somehow mpg was mentioned, and thats where i hung myself.

im gunna bow out now

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
As the Dodge commercial says, "What's better than horsepower, more horsepower".

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
165-170 is more in line with an A2. Z1 and Z3 were around 180ish peak WHP, assuming typical reading dyno jet.
Fair enough. I'll edit to correct. I had the A2, A3 and Z7 and assumed the Z1 and Z3 were on par with the 9th gen's last 2 years claiming 205 after the emergent refresh.
Sponsored