How often does Maintenance Minder request Air Filter replacement?

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
I'm at 20k miles and just got my 15% oil life warning with a 'B' scheduled maintenance (no number after). I expected to see a 'B2' at this point indicating that I'd need to swap out the air filter. I actually expected it at 15k miles so now I'm concerned.

How often does the MM request an air filter replacement? Is the car capable of monitoring filter condition (measuring optimal airflow through filter), and therefore thinks my filter is operating at acceptable levels?

I figured the air filter was on a number-of-oil-changes schedule (something like every 3 oil changes) but having not seen a request at 15k and now 20k, I'm thinking something is not correct.
Sponsored

Last edited:

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
According to the manual, there should be a B2, but I have never seen it. But it seems like it should come up every 30k miles, since the comment below says only change it at 15K if you drive in dusty conditions.

*2: If you drive in dusty conditions, replace the air cleaner element every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).

OP
OP

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
Thanks for your response. I started searching and found the same note regarding #2. I figure if changing air filter at 15k is considered appropriate for dusty conditions, that I'm probably not due at 20k. So I'm satisfied at this point.
How many miles do you have at this point? I assume you haven't crossed over 30k yet.

OP
OP

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
the car or MM does not monitor ANY of the services it recommends, it is only estimating when things should be done, it has no way of actually KNOWING what the condition of your oil or air filter is,

that is why the MM should never be relied on to be 100% accurate.....because it is not,

when in doubt, do things a bit early,

if you feel it should be changed, change it,

i know better then a computer does, i can see things with my own eyes
My question isn't whether *I* should know to change the air filter, but what the computer operates on to determine when the air filter should be changed? If the MM thinks the air filter should be replaced every 30k, I think that's bogus. I'm a data-driven individual and I like to know the in-and-outs of what I'm seeing or working with.
If I gave the impression that I'm being a slave to the MM, that wasn't my intent. I *do* skew my oil changes around the MM instead of mileage, as I have in the past, but I choose what I'm going to do maintenance-wise. For instance, I change the oil filter every oil change, and the air filter has already been replaced at 15k.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I don't even care how clean or dirty the air filter is, except to make a note to myself and learn for the future. Once I open the box, I replace the filter. I don't check it every 5,000 miles, so when I do open it, it deserves to be replaced because of the relation between the price of the filter and the price of my time.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
This is one where I don't wait. I drive alot in a dusty area but every 6 months is good for me
Filters are cheap, about $30-35 for both intake & cabin, lousy air quality here in Central Pennsylvania because of a lot of factors including heavy truck traffic, pollen, etc. I change both annually or every 10k and find them pretty dirty at that point, the cabin filter in particular. With my crazy allergies, a good investment considering my windows are almost always closed with an auto climate control system, so everything I breath while driving goes through that filter.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Filters are cheap, about $30-35 for both intake & cabin, lousy air quality here in Central Pennsylvania because of a lot of factors including heavy truck traffic, pollen, etc. I change both annually or every 10k and find them pretty dirty at that point, the cabin filter in particular. With my crazy allergies, a good investment considering my windows are almost always closed with an auto climate control system, so everything I breath while driving goes through that filter.

I'm really anal amount the air I breathe as well. The air quality in Los Angeles is probably even worse and they are always blacked out when I take them out. I don't ever drive with my windows down after seeing how dirty the air filters are. I usually order a few online then change them every 5 to 6 months. I have checked them before and they are OK but usually that has always been adequate for me.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Just look at your house/appartment windows and see how quickly they get dirty and need to be cleaned. I've lived in areas where windows need a cleaning twice a year. I haven't washed my windows for 15 years and now they are starting to be somewhat dirty.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Best thing to do is just pop the hood and take a look at it. I change the one in my 2.0 more often then my 1.5 since my 2.0 I drive to work in and it can get pretty dusty. My girlfriend drives the 1.5 and it barely ever sees dusty roads so it stays clean longer. The MM is not going to take this into consideration so just check for yourself. And make sure you pull it out and look at the bottom of the filter since the air comes from the bottom up through the filter, so the dirt will be seen on the bottom side of the filter. If it’s dirty then just change it, they are cheap. And I highly recommend you stick oem Honda filters. They are very good filters and for the price they are great. I order mine through hondapartsnow.com
Sponsored