Keeping fog lights on without low beams?

Rommy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan LX 6MT
Country flag
So I was at a civic X meet the other day and I noticed someone had their fog lights on with only their DRLs on, no low beams. I forgot to ask the person how they did that. Is there a way to keep only the fog lights on without wiring a manual operation switch to the lights to operate them independently?
Sponsored

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Someone made a whole thread trying to figure out how to do this. He couldn't figure it out but was still working on trying to. Search for the thread as it should be in here.

OP
OP

Rommy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan LX 6MT
Country flag
Spent an hour searching, can't find it for the life of me. Anyone know any additional info?

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Unplug the headlights or make a switch in the circuit

HBK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch Sport M6 WOP
Edit: Removed original idea as it wont work.

You have options but non that will rely on the fog switch in cabin. You can wire them to your DRL but will require a relay somewhere.

Two easier options:

1) You can modify the relay for the fogs in the fuse box to be turned on from the DRL signal using a fuse tap on the DRL fuse (assuming its switched).

2) Buy an H8 relay harness and power the fogs with an inline fuse from battery and signal the relay on the harness with the DRL connector behind the headlight.

Both solutions are faily ugly.

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic lx
Cars stopped being able to do this right around the early 2000 era. E39 Bimmers can do it, E34 and so on... but on a German car its easier to figure out how to make them function that way since European market cars are able to do so.

SSGCoxie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB Sport, 6MT, Sonic Gray
Country flag
The problem is that the fog light relay under the hood is controlled by the BCM (body control module). This BCM is programmed to not allow fogs without low beams. A separate switch could be used to power the fogs independently, but you would lose the dash indicator when they are on as the BCM also controls this. It's possible, but not very pretty.

Dr_Drache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 CRX - 2017 FK8 TypeR
Country flag
The problem is that the fog light relay under the hood is controlled by the BCM (body control module). This BCM is programmed to not allow fogs without low beams. A separate switch could be used to power the fogs independently, but you would lose the dash indicator when they are on as the BCM also controls this. It's possible, but not very pretty.
so what you are saying is - we need to mod the BCM - easy peasy!

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
jump the fog relay negative wire (on my 19 sport its on bcm connector b wire 15 purple) and the fog light activation wire (on my 19 sport its on bcm connector c wire 6 purple). fog switch wire will complete the ground for the fog relay and keep fogs on as long as switch is on, like the low beam lights, even if car is off. and will stay on when high beams are switched on.

TMUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Hatch, 06 s2000, 01 accord h-swapped
Country flag
jump the fog relay negative wire (on my 19 sport its on bcm connector b wire 15 purple) and the fog light activation wire (on my 19 sport its on bcm connector c wire 6 purple). fog switch wire will complete the ground for the fog relay and keep fogs on as long as switch is on, like the low beam lights, even if car is off. and will stay on when high beams are switched on.
Will this allow for the dash indicator for fog lights to still function even when low beams are off?

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Will this allow for the dash indicator for fog lights to still function even when low beams are off?
No I noticed because the computer doesn’t know the fog lights are grounded. The command is not aloud without low beams on. You’re basically bypassing the computer.

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T sedan, '12 LX sedan
Country flag
I haven't installed this yet, but I've made the harness up already. The NC contact on the relay allows OEM fog operation, energizing the relay with a switch allows override from OEM function. This way, you can have fogs automatically switch off when Highs are on, or leave fogs on all the time, incl when headlights are off and only DRL's are illuminated.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/fog-light-override-capability.60376/

It's imperative that you actually switch the positive on the fog and not the ground. - otherwise when the relay is operated, you'll be placing a fault-to-ground and blowing the fuse (which I haven't drawn) or worse. On my 2016, the positive fog light wire is blue.

Last edited:

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
fogs can be enabled on bcan bus via UDS messages, why mess with wiring? learn a hobby.
Sponsored