Perrin or PRL Intercooler ?

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Yea i have done research over the past 3 months on probably 8+ intercooler setups. The 2 reasons i am choosing between those two is 1) excellent craftsmanship and not too big so not alot of pressure loss. 2) both can be purchased right now for about $550 each due to Black Friday pricing. The cutting of the ribs on the splash guard do not bother me as i will probably own this car for a very long time and nobody will ever see the area you actually cut from unless the intercooler was taken back out.
Being serious here...
Why do you NEED an intercooler? Or do you just want one?
Sponsored

OP
OP
mLkctR

mLkctR

SoFlo
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CW CTR
Country flag
Being serious here...
Why do you NEED an intercooler? Or do you just want one?
did someone say I needed one ? Cause I would like one .. and guess what ? I am going to buy one bud. I have goals of 400hp .. I have had 1k cbr’s, boosted b series, all motor k20 ek, k20 si on spray.

And while this car is fun right out of the box I am looking for more my guy . I would be very satisfied right around 400whp until further developments come out that will help up get to 5-600 hp.
It’s gonna be a while as I do have 2 kids and they suck money out of my accounts like crazy.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
did someone say I needed one ? Cause I would like one .. and guess what ? I am going to buy one bud. I have goals of 400hp .. I have had 1k cbr’s, boosted b series, all motor k20 ek, k20 si on spray.

And while this car is fun right out of the box I am looking for more my guy . I would be very satisfied right around 400whp until further developments come out that will help up get to 5-600 hp.
It’s gonna be a while as I do have 2 kids and they suck money out of my accounts like crazy.
I hear ya!

Last edited:

eXstasy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Does the Perrin intercooler re-use the OEM shrouds/air guides? It looks like the PRL does

EDIT: Nevermind, I looked up the instructions, it looks like it does as well

Last edited:

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
$546 for the Perrin with said discount code, man that is a good freaking deal.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went with the first gen PRL I lucked into a deal for a brand new full kit for $499. I don't think that kind of price will come again with the new billet ends. The Perrin at that price point is pretty darn good. Does that include charge pipes?

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I went with the first gen PRL I lucked into a deal for a brand new full kit for $499. I don't think that kind of price will come again with the new billet ends. The Perrin at that price point is pretty darn good. Does that include charge pipes?
No charge pipes, I don't think they currently make any but I am curious if the PRL ones would fit.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Japsw20

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR
Country flag
PRL is beautifully machines and boring to install. You can get them for around 580 with Black Friday deals.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Watched the install video for Perrin, ended up being sold on it and chose to go with that. Can't go wrong with an intercooler for $546.

Last edited:

josh8604

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR BBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought the PRL IC and just installed it last night. Installation was a breeze and there was no need to modify any part of the car since it is direct bolt on. Perrin is also a reputable company and I would like to see a side by side comparison of the two FMICs. I also have the PRL high Volume Intake and love it as well. Hoping to drive a bit more with the PRL FMIC and then I can give better feedback/ review.