95PreludeSi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2005 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Country flag
This is my first post here, thought it might help someone out that was in the same boat. Perhaps you want to buy the Type R, but need three rear seats for your kids? I've found posts talking about the conversion, but didn't find any tutorials on how to do it. I convinced my self it was possible and decided to trade in my 2019 WRX. I've outlined the journey below.

Project: 5 SeateRRRRR

Tools: Like any other good honda I've owned, you can do this with a 10mm, 12mm and 14mm. You'll also need:
Ratchet (impact also helps)
Extension (makes the job much easier)
Large Philips head screwdriver
small flat head (or small pry tool)
Panel tool
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion 7mUoVu4

Materials:
You''ll need the rear seats out of another 5 door as the center seat belt is built into that section. I picked up the 60%, 40% and seat bench used off ebay for about $450 total. I wanted to maintain the stock look, so went with cloth which probably came from a LX? They look nearly identical except for a couple spots with white stitching instead of red.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion 8hHQP2R

You'll also need to get a new seat belt buckle that replaces the right rear buckle and adds the center section. I ordered one (04823-TGG-A00ZA) for about $35 from hondaautomotiveparts.com

Before we get started, here is what we are working with:
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion 3PSaUsS

First step is removing Seat bottom out. There is a small tab you pull (two) that help release the seat base.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion YosTvUs

Next, use a 10mm socket behind the driver side rear to remove the retaining bolt.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion sSwpjgE

Now remove the rear seat and set it aside.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion tN7fpO6

Pry up the small panel on each side, there are two plastic retainers. Pull gently.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion qtasoRL

Now, pull the weather stripping up so we can get to the panel behind the two shoulder belts.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion A9eroO

Now you will need to remove a single 10mm bolt from the panel behind the two side shoulder belts. My finger is on it here after I got it started.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion QNDbBgd

Be very careful when removing this. This panel is wedged in there good, and it's easy to brake the retaining tabs.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion 5EYKn5U

Now, you can access the rear seat back mounts. There are two bolts on the driver side and one on the passenger side.
Removing the two anchor bolts for the seat back on L side (I already removed them in this pic, see the two holes? USe the 12mm socket for this.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion lauVFpl

Do the same on the passenger side to remove the one mounting bracket hole.

Use the pry tool to get at the phillips head screw keeping the hatchback floor carpet anchored down.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion Kan9aXY

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion Ajc8yHN

Now, use the panel tool to remove the plastic retaining rings keeping the seat back carpet anchored to the floor.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion AUjV1ED

The last thing holding the 40% seat back in is the center retainer. Use a 12mm to undo this bracket near the center. Remove the seat once you pull it out.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion ViKtxpF

Once the 40% side is out, it will reveal this 12mm nut keeping the 60% side in. Remove it, and take the 60% side out.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion h3BhabE

Time to start reinstalling stuff!
Install the new 60% section in place. Start with the last bolt you just removed for the center bracket. Be sure to keep the plastic ring on the end of the center pin.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion XK6MtO9

This is mostly reverse steps of the removal.
Installing the 40% section, put the bracket back in using the 12mm bolts you saved earlier.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion ffTedxD

Remember to put the carpet anchors back in for the seat backs.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion pQEE8NO

Reinstall the hatch floor anchors
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion 6MVVA3W

Next, install the (1) outer 12mm bolt for the passenger seat back bracket and (2) for the driver side.
(no pic)
Next, reinstall the side panels behind the side seat belts. This is a PITA in my opinion and the worst part of the whole job. It's hard to get the tabs aligned right. Just take your time.
(no pic)
Once finished, don't forget to install the (1) 10mm bolt on each side.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion QNDbBgd

Next, reinstall the small sill panels
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion hjIPD2s

One last look at the old seat belts
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion 7z9n8Rk

Laying the new double buckle in place. See the original one with empty loop and the new replacement (04823-TGG-A00ZA)
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion b3yeAzl

Remove the old and install the new using the 14mm socket
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion QTH8iwm

Removed driver side buckle bolt
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion aCHLZmR

Now, combine the buckle from the new/used 60% section with the old buckle using the 14mm.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion X7n6Uqe

Pop the new/used rear bottom in place, and reinstall the 10mm retainer behind the driver side.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion g0DckrF

Looking good!
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion SZ223vh

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion c2H5vX

Final:
Before:
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion 3PSaUsS

After:
Seat belt extender added to help with my son's booster on the driver rear (booster not pictured)
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion Ok6qXy0

Came out well, I'm pleased. I hope this helps out the other family crew considering the R.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks! It looks great! No drilling or cutting the foam like another similar thread.

Honda should’ve done this from the beginning. How much heavier is the 60/40 split bench? Can you feel a significant weight difference when you’re removing the CTR rear bench?

Thanks for showing a way forward. My only reservation is dealing with insurance if something happens. It looks totally OEM (it is!) and most people wouldn’t notice it’s modded; it might pass muster in “crunch” time.

Last edited:
OP
OP

95PreludeSi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2005 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Country flag
Weight:
I should have weighed it, but didn’t. The 60% side maybe a pound or two heavier since it has the retractor and belt built in. I didn’t notice it when carrying it though.

insurance:
It is a risk. As far as safety, it is all factory components. I wouldn’t have done it if I felt it compromised safety at all versus an standard 5 door. I could get screwed if it was noticed after an accident.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Thanks! It looks great! No drilling or cutting the foam like another similar thread.

Honda should’ve don’t this from the beginning. How much heavier is the 60/40 split bench? Can you feel a significant weight difference when you’re removing the CTR rear bench?

Thanks for showing a way forward. My only reservation is dealing with insurance if something happens. It looks totally OEM (it is!) and most people wouldn’t notice it’s modded; it might pass muster in “crunch” time.
I think the main reason why Honda didn't include a center seat was due to the maximum weight capacity of the vehicle being about 680 lbs. Seating 5 would mean that each person in the car has a weight of 136 lbs on average. That's pretty low for today's standards. The normal civic is 850 lbs which would be about 170 lbs a person. It's still low, but not that low.

In terms of insurance, I can see you arguing the point if you are below the total weight capacity of the vehicle still, but if that 5th person puts you over, the insurance has valid reason to void the claim.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
Super cool. It's too bad the middle belt isn't red.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
This is awesome

hafadaze

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R (#1106)
Country flag
Awesome! Thanks for this. Will be a project for me in the future, for sure.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

2020 CTR at Frankfurt auto show appears to be a 5 seater. Skip to 6:20
The center looks cloth instead of having the cup holders, but I don't see a third seat belt anywhere in the video. Not at the 3:50 mark nor the 6:20.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

2020 CTR at Frankfurt auto show appears to be a 5 seater. Skip to 6:20
No seat belt in the middle. Europeans don't drink big gulps so no rear cup holders for them. But sensing, rain sensors, and electric folding mirrors are available in EU.

See the same car here:

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bravo! Excellent work 95PreludeSi. I love seeing photo walkthroughs of cool projects. Thank you for taking the time to document and share this with us ;)

nekrawulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
OMG! Thank you. Ex fit worked? O assumed with would have to be sport hatch seats.

EUTypeR

First Name
Dominiek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord Tourer 2.4 Exclusive 2005 + Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 Sport diesel 2006 + Honda Civic Type R 2018 + Volvo 760 Turbo Intercooler 1986
Country flag
No seat belt in the middle. Europeans don't drink big gulps so no rear cup holders for them. But sensing, rain sensors, and electric folding mirrors are available in EU.
Indeed, already from the beginning (2017) the Type R was homologated as 4 seater, with backseats 60/40% folding, only 2 backseats places and no cup holder in the middle. So insurance wise you can get into trouble in case of an accident while having 5 people present in the car.

For the people interested, in Europe we have 2 versions: a (basic) Type R and a Type R GT. Technically they are identical but the GT has some extra's: dead angle warning in both side mirrors, trunk cover, parking sensors front and rear, dual zone automatic airco (versus single zone automatic airco), self-dimming interior mirror, powered rear windows + remotely controlled, foldable side mirrors + remotely controlled, glove compartment with light (versus without light), Honda Connect with Garmin navigation (versus Honda Connect without nav), 11 loudspeakers (versus 8, but no subwoofer in both versions :-( ), 465 Watt "High Power Audio" music power (versus 180 Watt), wireless cellphone charger, exterior with red accents (versus without red accents) and LED fog lights (versus regular fog lights).

Compared to US and Canadian version, both European versions have standard privacy glass, Honda Sensing (probably because in Europe it helps to reduce the insurance premium if your car is equipped with it), rain sensor and auto engine start/stop (probably because it helps to reduce the average fuel consumption, so lowers the environmental taxes applied in some European countries).

So options are very limited: metallic paint (only Rallye Red is standard), Honda 3D Sound (Digital Sound Processor, which I have), red interior light pack (called "Red Illumination Pack" officially, which I have but was overpriced and badly installed at the dealer) and a series of carbon stuff for the exterior (no go for me, as too fragile for street use and rather useless).

At the other hand, some accessories are not available over here, like the rubber trunk mat with Type R logo in color (08U45-TGH-100), the car cover (08P34-TGH-100A), the capless fuel cover (17666-TGG-A01), etc. but luckily for us there are some good importers that provided us with those goodies as well :)

Last edited:

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag

See the same car here:
I think it’s just a different bench seat. I paused the video and there’s no third seat belt and no third latch for the belt to lock in to.

Edit - Someone from Europe confirmed.
Sponsored