The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2016 Civic EX-T sedan, CVT (automatic)

Total tuned time: 1.5 years

Total tuned mileage: about 40,000

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Vituned custom tune

Additional engine mods: None

Problems/issues: None; engine now has 200k not tuned any longer but no issues whatsoever

Driving style: 60% hypermile 40% mild agressive

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) CAE2A3E5-BB5E-49D5-A254-3072BA0F9CF1
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You don't have the tuned mileage record but 200,000+ total miles on a 10th gen might just be a record. Wow.

Appreciate you adding to the tuning survey. :bow:

jrschultz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Manual
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Sport Hatchback Manual 1.5T

Total tuned time: 18 months

Total tuned mileage: 15,000

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata / King Motorsports

Tunes used: Hondata / King Motorsports +9 Flash Tune

Fuel used: 93 octane

Additional engine mods: NA
Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time. General commuting in city and on highway. I've never dumped the clutch or done a burn out.

Tuning experience notes: King Motorsports put their spin on the Hondata +9 tune to make the throttle feel more aggressive. I haven't had a single issue with my tune. I don't beat on my car, so I expect it will last a long time.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle: 2018 Sport Hatchback Manual 1.5T

Tuning experience notes: King Motorsports put their spin on the Hondata +9 tune to make the throttle feel more aggressive. I haven't had a single issue with my tune. I don't beat on my car, so I expect it will last a long time.
No clutch slipping at all with the +9?

jrschultz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Manual
Country flag
No clutch slipping at all with the +9?
None for me. I haven't abused my clutch. I understand some have had issues and they don't abuse their clutch either. I talked to King Motorsports about this issue, and they told me they haven't seen issues with their tune on an otherwise stock car.

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 2 months

Total tuned mileage:

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata

Tunes used: Hondata +9 Flash

Fuel used: 93 octane

Additional engine mods: None

Driving style: General mix of highway and city driving with WOT once every other drive

Tuning experience notes: No clutch slipping. I don't lug the engine or ride the clutch, I drive manual optimally. I expect this clutch to last for +100,000 miles like prior cars I've had on stock clutches.

I've seen many manual drivers ride the clutch all the time and lugging their engine which is a big no-no in regards to engine and clutch health.

Last edited:

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Type-R

Total tuned time: 17 months

Total tuned mileage: ~10,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flashpro (since May 2019), previously KTuner V2 (June 2018 - May 2019)

Tunes used: Hondata Flashpro custom tuned by Evans Tuning (since July 2019), previously Hondata base tune (May 2019 - July 2019) and KTuner Stage 1 base tune (June 2018 - May 2019)

Fuel used: Currently 93 octane mixed with ~40% E85

Additional engine mods: SiriMoto flex fuel kit, Mishimoto intake, PRL intercooler, PRL front pipe, PRL catted down pipe, Remus catback exhaust

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time.

Tuning experience notes: Custom tuning is the way to go to unlock the full potential of this car. The difference compared to the base tune is well worth the expense. In my case, I made almost 400whp after all was said and done. Full details and dynos in this thread: https://www.civicx.com/threads/fbo-flex-fuel-custom-tune-393whp-414wtq.38921/

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 1.5T Sport Hatchback CVT

Total Tuned Time: 9~10 months

Total Tuned Mileage: ~10,000 km (= ~6200 miles) ... driven only in the warmer months

Tuning Device(s) Used: KTuner V1.2

Tune(s) Used: Basemap dual 16 PSI Econ / 21 PSI

Fuel Used: PetroCanada 91 Octane / Chevron 94

Additional Engine Mods: None at the moment

Driving Style: Econ mode enabled during warm-up, or slow city driving, 21 PSI map otherwise. Speedy driving with aggressive bursts time-to-time, while maintaining in the 2500 ~ 4500 RPM range.

Tuning Experience: First time tuning on the Honda Civic platform, and on the 1.5T engine too.

View attachment 184050

View attachment 184051

NkryptD0n3

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Platinum White
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 7 months

Total tuned mileage: 10,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v2

Tunes used: KTuner 21/23 (previously), Two Step Performance Stage 1 Tune on Map 3 (currently)

Fuel used: 93 Octane

Additional engine mods: 27Won CAI // Boomba Racing Rear Motor Mount // MAPerformance Race Exhaust // PRL Catted Downpipe // PRL Front Pipe // SiriMoto Phase 2 Strut Bar

Problems/issues: Clutch slippage (I think) in 3rd & 4th now. Also, I can't seem to get no lift shifting to work.

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time.

Tuning experience notes: I have had a lot of fun with this set up. The off the shelf tunes from KTuner were great and I ran them for a while but the TSP tune is absolutely amazing. This is only my second manual transmission car so I do not have as much experience as some here in driving a manual transmission car. I recently had my oil changed and have sent it off to Blackstone Labs to have it analyzed/tested. I tried to read the forum and see what oil was having the best results but it wasn't clear cut to me so I went with what I've been running in my cars since the early 2000s which was Mobil 1 Synthetic. I am not 100% sure what caused this thread but I am going to attempt to read up on some of the other replies. I have spoken back and forth with Exedy on their Stage 2 (or whatever they call it) clutch. I am slightly unimpressed by the numbers they claim...especially since they state that they didn't have the OEM spec numbers that Honda sent over available to them in the aftermarket division...that is worrisome but I am really thinking about taking the plunge with them and getting their Stage 2 clutch and seeing what happens. Would just hate to drop $1k to get it installed and it be straight trash. Hope this helps in some way :)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am not 100% sure what caused this thread but I am going to attempt to read up on some of the other replies
Great question, glad you asked. ;)

Q: What was the reason behind this tuning experience thread?

A: It seems like every time we have one of those tuned blown motor threads, the tuning naysayers come out of the woodwork. You know, the ones who tell you the evils of tuning and that all our tuned cars are doomed to fail.

This thread is a great way to showcase our collective tuned Civic X experiences, to see actual real world reliability. The admin here felt it was an important topic and featured it.

The more people we can get to add their tuning experience here, the more valuable this is to our community. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

GixxerMKD

First Name
Baze
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 Hatchback Sport 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (MT)

Total Tuned Time: 10 months

Total Tuned: 13000km

Tuning Device: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner modified Dual Eco/21

Additional Mods: AF Dynamic CAI, PRL catless downpipe

Problems/Issues: None

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle: 2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (MT)

Additional Mods: AF Dynamic CAI, PRL catless downpipe

Problems/Issues: None
How have your fuel trims been with that intake and the downpipe?

GixxerMKD

First Name
Baze
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 Hatchback Sport 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How have your fuel trims been with that intake and the downpipe?
No issue whatsoever, im running it on 100 octane fuel, the only downside is that my fuel consumption has raised but that's because of my heavy foot :)
The car is a rocket.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No issue whatsoever, im running it on 100 octane fuel, the only downside is that my fuel consumption has raised but that's because of my heavy foot :)
The car is a rocket.
The octane is great for keeping knock control low, but fuel trims can sometimes be "off" with aftermarket intakes, bolt ons and a base tune. What are your LTFT and STFT numbers looking like?
Sponsored

Last edited: