Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
hi guys. great discussion! how about someone like me, who has a totally non modified car (no exhaust no downpipe no intake no nothing) and wants the biggest easiest stealthiest bang for the buck? I was considering the Flex fuel setup for the best easiest safest gains on a otherwise non modded car. i live on the east coast where 93 is widely available (its what i fill up with every day) and E85 is around too; my plan would be to put about 4 gal of E85 in with 6 gal of 93 most times. what are your opinions for my special case of thought?
My only two power mods are FP and FF and I'm quite happy. I'm just running the Hondata FF basemap though, and the difference from the base 93 tune was very noticable running E35. Last weekend I had to fill up with full 93 and noticed a decrease in power. I have yet to have any custom tuning done, so I don't know how the FF basemap would compare to a custom 93 tune, but from the tunes I've run I feel that the FF setup was worth it. I actually noticed more difference going from 93 tune to FF tune than I did from stock to 93 tune.
Sponsored

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
hi guys. great discussion! how about someone like me, who has a totally non modified car (no exhaust no downpipe no intake no nothing) and wants the biggest easiest stealthiest bang for the buck? I was considering the Flex fuel setup for the best easiest safest gains on a otherwise non modded car. i live on the east coast where 93 is widely available (its what i fill up with every day) and E85 is around too; my plan would be to put about 4 gal of E85 in with 6 gal of 93 most times. what are your opinions for my special case of thought?
I'm in the same boat. I've just been holding off. I don't want to void my warranty. I think I'd do an intercooler and tune and maybe nothing more. If I found some kind of exhaust setup that sounded good to me I might go that route too but I've yet to hear anything I like.

sosoye

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, S2000, Turbo Miata
Country flag
yeah and thats with hondatas afr. you'll run out of fuel even quicker if you do richen the afr too. It's really unfortunate they put such a weak fuel system in this car. Can't even handle a bolt on tuned car.

i personally don't believe flex fuel to be worth if you have access to 93 octane. For people on the west coast who only has 91 octane, i can see it being useful for slightly more power over 91.
What do you think about the benefit of being able to run lower boost to achieve the same horsepower?
Since a lot of people are able to reach almost 400 whp on just 93 with a custom tune, wouldn't using flex fuel increase longevity for the engine aiming for 400 whp with 93+flexfuel; given you keep your fuel pump duty cycle in check.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
What do you think about the benefit of being able to run lower boost to achieve the same horsepower?
Since a lot of people are able to reach almost 400 whp on just 93 with a custom tune, wouldn't using flex fuel increase longevity for the engine aiming for 400 whp with 93+flexfuel; given you keep your fuel pump duty cycle in check.
It's a good thing but i'm not sure if that benefit outweighs the hassle currently. For me, at least. Spending more time at the gas station and having to blend just wasn't cutting it for me. Nothing against running flex fuel though. As long as you lower boost enough, it can work.

I don't think engine longevity is going to be much different. Lower boost would theoretically increase engine life but how often are we really using that 380 whp or so? If it's not constantly beaten on, i don't think the life will be that different. Not to mention your still pushing 20+ lbs with flex fuel.
After experiencing it myself on this car and reviewing datalogs and doing many adjustments on the map, i came to the conclusion that it's not for me until better fuel system is in place.
Sponsored