Buzzing sound when depressing clutch pedal at 5-6k rpm

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This is my first post, so Hi Everyone!!! :D

I have the same issue for my 2017 CTR. I also brought it to the official Honda dealer and service and they are looking for the root cause. Actualy they replaced the whole clutch structure, gear oil, and hydraulic fluid for brake/clutch. But the buzzing sound is remained. Now I am waiting for the final conclusion but it seems they have no clue about this problem.

Here maybe someone has some idea or news?
If it is the wastegate push rod rattle is completely normal and no one has a fix for it.
Sponsored

balazst78

First Name
Balazs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type-R FK8 2017/04
Country flag
Ok guys! It was really funny, but believe me, I know what is the wastegate sound. :D :D

This buzzing sound reported in this topic is totally different. And finally one of the Honda dealers here in Hungary has found the root cause.
They were really helpful, and in 2 weeks they replaced almost half of my car :D... but the best part was that my CTR (2017) is still under warranty, so luckily for me, the fix costed nothing!!!!
And finally the root cause was to replace the 9-11-12 parts (see below):

Honda Civic 10th gen Buzzing sound when depressing clutch pedal at 5-6k rpm clutch-cylinder-

It seems that this is design fault of the clutch hyraulic system, so it is expected for all CTR, and it is possible that the replaced parts will also be damaged in a certain time.
Honda dealer said that they reported this case to the European center as well (in Germany) and if the number of the fault ticket reached the critical mass maybe they will be pushed to create a recall.
So please, if you faced the same problem, and the root cause is also the same ask the dealer to report it in the official way.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
I can replicate this buzzing sound over and over again on my 2019 CTR, shifting around 4-6k RPM. The buzzing/rattling in the clutch is very noticeable on my foot (it's also audibly noticeably like others have posted in this thread). It is annoying to experience I can admit that, but not annoying enough to take it into Honda

zeppelin2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I also experience this when shifting at around 5K rpm in any gear. It's been a problem since I first started shifting at higher rpms after the initial 1000 km break-in period.

In the beginning, it would make the noise and vibration for as long as I'd keep the clutch pedal pressed down. Both when up-shifting as well as down-shifting with the rev-match turned on.

I brought the car to the dealer and they repositioned the clutch line which made the problem go away for a few days but then it came back, just not as bad.

Now I usually get the sound and vibration for about half a second as I'm pushing the clutch pedal down but then it stops.

To this day it throws me off and makes shifting at higher rpms unpleasant!

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
fix costed nothing!!!!
This is interesting. Can you please confirm a couple of things:

#1 - you experienced the same issue as the OP posted in his YouTube video?

#2 - you no longer experience this issue based on the fix that your local dealer provided?

If one and two are both yes, do you have any documentation from your dealer you can scan/provide? I might want to present their findings to my local dealer

Thank you for your help here

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Has anyone had this issue eliminated after servicing through Honda? If so, can you please provide documentation? I'm actually really annoyed at this issue now, but don't want Honda mechanics having a field day with my car. I'm hoping to provide a precise fix to Honda based on another Honda dealer fix.

Thanks

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'll try to film my car tonight. It is quite easy to replicate if you have ktuner/hondata and remove the rpm limit while stopped. I'm pretty sure I can make mine buzz ad infinitum by half depressing the clutch in neutral and revving to 4700-5400 rpm.
I'm also in Jacksonville, do you still have this issue? Curious to know if you had it fixed by a local dealer. Thanks

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm also in Jacksonville, do you still have this issue? Curious to know if you had it fixed by a local dealer. Thanks
I have not been to a dealer. It doesn't bother me enough to let a dealer mess with my car. I've resigned myself to waiting til someone figures it out.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I cam across this video on YouTube of the exact issue I experience:

I messaged the video submitter asking if he had it fixed, he claims his local Honda dealer were indeed able to fix the problem, he even provided a photo of the paper work (below).

I think I might actually muster up the courage to take my car to the dealer to at least talk to them about it, and if they can contact the Canadian dealer who fixed this issue for the guy in the video above.

For comparison, I created the same exact video as the guy in the video link above, you can hear the same exact noise/rattle:

I guess what is driving me most crazy is that there are CTR owners out there who do not experience this rattle. If all CTRs had this rattle, I'd be willing to live with it, but I've watched journalistic review videos where they get on the CTR in high RPMs and the rattling noise is NOT there.

Here is the fix info provided by the guy I messaged on YouTube:

Honda Civic 10th gen Buzzing sound when depressing clutch pedal at 5-6k rpm IMG_20191019_114824

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for posting that video.

The guy in the video posted the following on youtube: "The tech adjust the master cylinder mounting bracket on the firewall, then the humming noise went away."

I'm going to try to mess with it this coming weekend. I'll let you guys know if I fix it.

zeppelin2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Interesting. As part of my quest to resolve my second gear grinds, I recently (about a week ago) adjusted my clutch master cylinder rod to optimize the pedal freeplay. Today while driving, I noticed that I wasn't getting the clutch buzzing problem at 5K rpms and it occurred to me that it hasn't happened the last many times I've driven. I wonder if it's all related.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wonder if it's all related.
Right, I'm thinking the same thing. The Canadian CTR owner who posted the video I shared also mentioned his buzzing was gone after the adjustment. Now you're mentioning the same (that the buzzing is gone after adjusting CMC). The "Infamous second gear crunch" thread has tons of folks finding success in adjusting the CMC, though I was originally against the idea because I couldn't believe Honda from the plant would send out so many units needing this adjustment...now it seems even more necessary between the grind AND the buzzing

zeppelin2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The "Infamous second gear crunch" thread has tons of folks finding success in adjusting the CMC
I still got a second gear grind after adjusting the CMC rod to the point of resistance. Next up, I'm going to try adjusting the pedal stop to lengthen the pedal travel and then readjust the rod once more. But I already wish the pedal travel was shorter than it is and I don't like the idea of a high bite point for when bringing up the clutch.

I'll keep an eye out on the 5K buzz over the next few weeks and report back if the CMC rod adjustment managed to fix it.
Sponsored