Myxal Ram-Air Intake

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tomorrow will be my first day off in a while and I'm bored. Plus, I'm still waiting on 27Won or PRL to stop playing around and make that turbo inlet pipe.

So, I'm gonna make a Ram-Air intake tomorrow and compare it to the Myxal SRI. I'll take pics of it installed and then take it to the track for 1/4 mile tests between the two. The Myxal SRI had a .5-1mph gain over the PRL cold air intake with race maf but it would get heat soaked and wasn't consistent. I've tested the Myxal SRI as a SRI-CAI and got gains but was having trouble with one of the connectors coming apart when the engine moved. So will test the SRI with an open box with cold air feeding to the box underneath to this new ram-air setup that I built up in my head.

This Myxal Ram-Air setup will be fed cold air from my driver's side foglight, up through the PRL Cobra piping and through a PRM Air Filter. I've had this filter for a long time and test it against open element filters for fun. It does well every time but I have never tested it on a turbo application.

Expections: None as usual! I definitely am not expecting any positive pressure build up on the inlet side of the turbo. However, any pressure drop experienced from the turbo inlet to turbo inlet pipe I want to reduce or eliminate if possible, by forcing air in through the PRM air filter itself. Will it work? If so, how well or how bad? Who knows? Who cares! I love this stuff! :drive:

I plan on hitting up Cecil County Dragway tomorrow night. I will do two runs with the Myxal SRI, two runs with the PRM Ram-Air setup and two more runs with the Myxal SRI for a total of 6 runs. If I'm really up to it, I'll change back to the PRM Ram-Air for two more runs. So 6-8 runs tomorrow night to show the differences between the two, if there are differences.

Will update if I get it completed. I have it built in my head. Just need to get my hands on the pieces to make it work and hopefully it will. Fingers crossed! Pics attached below of the enclosed PRM air filter I will be using. This will be a true Ram-Air.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal Ram-Air Intake Ram-Air 1

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal Ram-Air Intake Ram-Air 2

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal Ram-Air Intake Ram-Air 3

https://www.civicx.com/attachments/20190622_183122-jpg.159009/

Personal Links
Golf Mk7 - Ram Air Test Results
Golf Mk7 - Ram Air Test Results: Part 2

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I stopped by my favorite warehouse where I like to build intakes in their parking lot, Verocious Motorsports. It looks like all I needed for testing purposes was a 90 degree 4" to 3" coupler, to attached my air filter to the maf sensor. This is ok but it's not ideal due to the incoming air coming off s bend and going right into the mad sensor. The air could possibly be turbulent and disrupt the maf sensor reading.

If attached a few pics of the coupler attached to the PRM air filter. I'll need to cut it down some to make everything fit together. Will see how it goes.

I'm currently having my stock front pipe and exhaust installed back on and will eventually sell the modified 3" Injen Exhaust. The PRL has a dent in it from contacting my intermediate drive axle. It's my 2nd one but this is for another thread.

Once I get back home, I'll modify the coupling to see if I can get good fit with the PRM air filter. Swapping between the intakes is super quick and only takes a minute or two. Literally!

Will post up pics if I can manage to get it all together.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal Ram-Air Intake 20191011_105426

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal Ram-Air Intake 20191011_104750

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal Ram-Air Intake 20191011_104301

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal Ram-Air Intake 20191011_105000

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal Ram-Air Intake 20191011_104750

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry for not updating. I never did get to complete this even though I cut the 90 degree silicone down. The filter is just too long and can't connect to the PRL Cobra piece and the maf sensor at the same time. I'd have to get a smaller and shorter PRM Filter casing to make this work or remove the PRL piece and connect my own silicone hose in it's place, going out to the foglight. That's easy but I'm not about to remove that bumper again for a test. I'll think of something.

Meanwhile, my car has been running slower. Trap speeds have reduced by 3mph and my 1/4 mile time by almost a half a second. This is when I thought I'd be running a 1/2 second quicker due to my smaller wheels. I may have a boost leak somewhere and need to do some datalogging. Won't be doing any more runs until I figure this out. This intake will come together but not exactly the way I wanted it. I'll update when I get to that point. ;)

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bummer about your setbacks. Hope you get it sorted out

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bummer about your setbacks. Hope you get it sorted out
Thanks @86salmon I found part of my problem. The tune I uploaded was only running 14psi of boost max (Mostly 13.6-13.9psi). Not sure if I renamed an older tune and thought it was my most recent one or I was sent it this way. Loaded up the TSP Beta and I'm boosting back to 20-21psi again. My newest custom tune was at least 24psi. Trying to see what happened to this file.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
  • Wow
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The TCR civic Type R also use the same type of filter with a sprint filter cone filter inside . KD1TCR
https://www.sprintfilter.net/automotive/kit/kd1tcr/kd1tcr-sf1-85tcr/14
Couldn't you use a silicone 90 degree reducer elbow ? 4" to 3" (i asume the PRM is 3" in size?)
Yes, you are correct. That's the size I have in the picture above. The 4"-3" part is what connected to the PRL Race maf inlet. The problem with my setup is that the filter itself is to long to connect to the PRL Cobra piece I have setup down below. If I remove that PRL cobra piece, I can use anything to connect it to the other piece down in the bumper area. Removing the bumper was easy but tedious because I do things slowly. Don't want to go through that again. Some say they can access the PRL piece in the bumper area simply by removing the driver's side wheel (or turning it outward) and pulling back the wheel well piece. I did this previously but didn't like working this way.

Thanks for that filter link. I may purchase a shorter length filter from them for testing. Maybe!

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey @Myx why not just run the canned tsp1 tune? The boost is like 25-26?
I uploaded the beta tune and am using that now until I figure out what's up with the custom tune. Seems boost is only getting to 21psi max. At least that's what I'm seeing as the target. Even the target psi is 21psi.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Minor Update

Since I'm bored and am currently going through some datalogging with a custom tune, I decided today to finish this setup.

This will not be for street use and will only be used for testing and/or at the track. Please DO NOT do this.

I went looking for a piece to connect the PRL Race maf to the cold-air ram piece I have going out to the foglight. I found the metal piece in the pic below. All I need now is a 4" inner diameter silicone connector to connect the metal 45 degree bend to the maf sensor housing. I ordered this silicon piece and will stop by the warehouse that I ordered it from tomorrow.

I'd like to do a 1/4 mile comparison of this ram-air setup vs the Myxal SRI. Curious to see if there is any difference in air/fuel ratio, boost, etc. I do not have any expectations as usual. Just sharing what I am up to as I go through it. Because....why not? And believe it or not, I'll probably gold wrap that little elbow you see below. Can't hurt it...

Again, don't do this. No air filter is being used. If something is sucked in, you could damage your turbocharger and possibly the engine as well if it makes it past everything else. I'm just a crazy nutcase that has to know things so.

Between this Ram-Air setup, my Myxal SRI and Myxal SRI-CAI, it literally takes about 45 seconds to switch between any of the combinations. Super easy and quick. It's fun! Will update with a pic of what it looks like after the silicone coupling is installed.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal Ram-Air Intake True Ram Air 1

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal Ram-Air Intake True Ram Air 2

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Minor Update

Since I'm bored and am currently going through some datalogging with a custom tune, I decided today to finish this setup.

This will not be for street use and will only be used for testing and/or at the track. Please DO NOT do this.

I went looking for a piece to connect the PRL Race maf to the cold-air ram piece I have going out to the foglight. I found the metal piece in the pic below. All I need now is a 4" inner diameter silicone connector to connect the metal 45 degree bend to the maf sensor housing. I ordered this silicon piece and will stop by the warehouse that I ordered it from tomorrow.

I'd like to do a 1/4 mile comparison of this ram-air setup vs the Myxal SRI. Curious to see if there is any difference in air/fuel ratio, boost, etc. I do not have any expectations as usual. Just sharing what I am up to as I go through it. Because....why not? And believe it or not, I'll probably gold wrap that little elbow you see below. Can't hurt it...

Again, don't do this. No air filter is being used. If something is sucked in, you could damage your turbocharger and possibly the engine as well if it makes it past everything else. I'm just a crazy nutcase that has to know things so.

Between this Ram-Air setup, my Myxal SRI and Myxal SRI-CAI, it literally takes about 45 seconds to switch between any of the combinations. Super easy and quick. It's fun! Will update with a pic of what it looks like after the silicone coupling is installed.

True Ram Air 1.jpg

True Ram Air 2.jpg

Why not a shorter filter with a top that can be fed directly?

https://www.verociousmotorsports.co...-Filters/Turbo-Guard-Air-Filter-4-Inlet-Black

https://www.verociousmotorsports.co...nt-Performance-Air-Filter-Shorty-Turbo-Inlets

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Both of those are very nice. Testing to eliminate the filter being a factor in the flow of air. Even though it is probably minimal and next to none.....just eliminating it just to see. Will post a datalog of both (SRI and no air filter *Ram-Air*). Just curious! Would be kinda cool to see something new or different. In a positive way of course. I want nothing disrupting the flow of incoming air. The turns in the PRL cobra piece is annoying enough. Wish we could make a straight shot to the turbo, like you see some of import Hondas at an import event. :p

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Went out on my lunch break and got a silicone piece. It's the right size but the length is too short. I put it on so u can see what it would look like (it's raining out). Will pick up a longer piece next week.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal Ram-Air Intake 20210331_172728
Sponsored