Would you buy your car again?

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
Great info.
I'm like the OP waiting on the sidelines till they iron out the issues (not to keen on gambling right now if I'll get one with issues or without).
That being said below is a video that shows that the mazda is a pretty good alternative. i can definitely see where you are coming from. (SPOILER alert: they have paddle shifters in the Australia; NA always gets crappy stuff)

I test drove a Mazda 3 and was turned off by the lack of space and very noisy highway ride. That's why I chose the Honda as it was much much quieter and refined. I'm sure the next version of the Mazda 3 will be extremely competitive.
Sponsored

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I probably wouldn't, I love my car I truly do but I'm the type of go who loves trying new things. I've had my fun with the civic, now I'd love to try a new car. As far as mazda goes I'm sure they're good cars but they're ugly. I don't care if the car is made out of carbon fiber if it's designed ugly that's truly sad. Even the new Chevy Cruze (my arch nemesis of compacts) looks better than the 3. Let's just say the sales speak for themselves.

16extsense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T with Sensing
Country flag
I'll let you know after 80K miles. I had a 2008 CR-V that I sold at that mileage; virtually zero issue, only regular maintenance. My civic replaced my mini cooper which broke at random times and at high frequency. Civic still has a long way to prove to me that it's reliable.

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
LOVE my EX-T; I certainly agree that it's well worth the extra $1k to go to the EX-T for the power, heated front seats, separate passenger temp controls and satellite radio stuff (if that's your boat).

I completely understand about the concerns, but keep in mind that the Civic was the #1 best seller in recent months, so issues are going to happen to a percentage of people. No different than visiting the forums (very active) for the Miata. Its a fairly simple vehicle that's quite reliable, but that doesn't stop thousands of problem posts from happening. There will be more issues since its a first year model, but I'm pretty confident it'll do well. If waiting till 2017 is an option, I'd expect many issues to be ironed out. Alternatively, spending $1k on a 8 year/120k warranty is a good investment or you could even negotiate a good lease and reconsider purchasing again in 3 years. This is my first lease and its amazing how much I spent on both my "reliable" 15 and 16 year old cars. Heck, saving $50 a month just in gas!

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Almost 11,000 miles on my car. I bought it December 2015.

If I could go back, I would have bought the Honda Sense package. At the time tho, I didn't want to spend any more money than I already was. Unfortunately, my car was so new the sales guys didn't know ANYTHING about it. Nobody told me about HS. I thought it was just adaptive cruise and accident mitigation. Those two features alone didn't justify the price. I didn't know about lane assist or just how good the adaptive cruise control was.

Bottom line, there isn't any other car in this price range I would rather have.

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I would definitely buy at least a new EX-T again. Maybe the upgrade to Touring.

There are a few small annoyances with the car, but that's the worst I can say about it. Since the surging issue has been fixed, no more major problems at all.

Minor annoyances:

The space that seems to be intended for phones does not fit a large smartphone comfortably (where the wires can be put from the USB port). If you put a phone there, there's a good chance you at least break the USB cable shifting into park.

Hard, but not impossible, to get adjusted properly and comfortably for someone who's 6'+. As is, I have to put the seat to the lowest level, almost as far back as possible, for the legs to be perfectly comfortable. From there, arms get uncomfortable reaching the steering wheel, even when fully telescoped out, and it's a bit of a stretch to get to the touchscreen.

Climate control system sometimes feels a little challenging to get to the level you want it to be at.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Probably not. This purchase had more to do with current financial status. Unless I am back in the same situation, I would probably choose to upgrade to an Acura ILX/TLX.

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would definitely buy at least a new EX-T again. Maybe the upgrade to Touring.

There are a few small annoyances with the car, but that's the worst I can say about it. Since the surging issue has been fixed, no more major problems at all.

Minor annoyances:

The space that seems to be intended for phones does not fit a large smartphone comfortably (where the wires can be put from the USB port). If you put a phone there, there's a good chance you at least break the USB cable shifting into park.

Hard, but not impossible, to get adjusted properly and comfortably for someone who's 6'+. As is, I have to put the seat to the lowest level, almost as far back as possible, for the legs to be perfectly comfortable. From there, arms get uncomfortable reaching the steering wheel, even when fully telescoped out, and it's a bit of a stretch to get to the touchscreen.

Climate control system sometimes feels a little challenging to get to the level you want it to be at.
What I do (that someone told me about that I had no idea was there) is to put my large Nexus 6 w/ case into the area going around the side of the console where your right knee is. Fits perfectly there, doesn't move. This way, I can keep my Garage Opener (NO HOMELINK!!!) and sunglasses there.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
Have an White LX...and couldnt be happier. As far as the Mazda comment goes....mazda are crap...owned by FORD...I have a 2006 Mazda MPV with nothing but problems. ZERO issues with the civic! That being said, I did make sure that mine was not part of the recall before buying. And I was 100% going with black until I really researched colours...white is easy to maintain and with the black accents looks sharp...Here is mine with 2015 civic si rims!

20160430_135331.jpg
Ford only has 3% ownership in Mazda. Please don't post misleading information.

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
What I do (that someone told me about that I had no idea was there) is to put my large Nexus 6 w/ case into the area going around the side of the console where your right knee is. Fits perfectly there, doesn't move. This way, I can keep my Garage Opener (NO HOMELINK!!!) and sunglasses there.
I've actually started doing that myself recently. Only problem from there is that sometimes I forget to grab it when I leave the car. Out of sight, out of mind. I should put my keys down there too so I can't forget ;).

arampapaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LSM Civic Coupe Touring
Ford only has 3% ownership in Mazda. Please don't post misleading information.
He is also comparing a 2006 Mazda with a 2016 Civic. The Civic does not come close to modern day Mazda build quality and reliability. Sorry, but it is a fact. My last 2 cars were a 2011 Mazda 3 and a 2015 Mazda 6, both Grand Touring. After seeing the issues and how Honda treats their customers, I would not buy a Honda again. I have never had to take those cars to Mazda for any issues and they were built like tanks. No creaking, no rattles, no HU issues, nothing.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He is also comparing a 2006 Mazda with a 2016 Civic. The Civic does not come close to modern day Mazda build quality and reliability. Sorry, but it is a fact. My last 2 cars were a 2011 Mazda 3 and a 2015 Mazda 6, both Grand Touring. After seeing the issues and how Honda treats their customers, I would not buy a Honda again. I have never had to take those cars to Mazda for any issues and they were built like tanks. No creaking, no rattles, no HU issues, nothing.
You're also comparing two cars that are not 1st year of their generation against a car that is. It is impossible for an auto manufacturer to find every bug and issue before release. They rely on the consumer to report those issues and they get fixed in the next manufacturing year. I guarantee that the first model year of those generations had creaks, rattles, and issues that were resolved before the next model year.

This is my first Honda, but I haven't noticed any better or worse customer service when it comes to dealing with them. My complaint is that I know more than the service writers at my dealer about the current issues with the Civic 10. I usually have to tell them the TSB number because they haven't even heard of the TSB yet.

arampapaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LSM Civic Coupe Touring
You're also comparing two cars that are not 1st year of their generation against a car that is. It is impossible for an auto manufacturer to find every bug and issue before release. They rely on the consumer to report those issues and they get fixed in the next manufacturing year. I guarantee that the first model year of those generations had creaks, rattles, and issues that were resolved before the next model year.

This is my first Honda, but I haven't noticed any better or worse customer service when it comes to dealing with them. My complaint is that I know more than the service writers at my dealer about the current issues with the Civic 10. I usually have to tell them the TSB number because they haven't even heard of the TSB yet.
First year of their generation is no excuse for cheap build quality. Materials are materials. And as far as the TSB goes, they are not as stupid as you think. They are just not willing to do the work if they can avoid it. It is not a safety recall, so they are not too concerned. If I as a customer say I have an issue, it should be taken seriously. I should not be told that they cannot reproduce the issue so I am out of luck. Especially when I am holding a printed TSB. It is not like I have nothing better to do with time than to go hang out at Honda service. I think the difference here is that I am willing to admit the car I bought is not as good as other cars out there, while others are trying to make this car better than it is because they are stuck in it. I am just being honest about the car and nothing I have said is untrue in any way. whenever someone asks me how I like it, I tell the truth. I am not going to make excuses for Honda. I paid for the car, and I expect what I paid for.

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think a lot depends on your priorities. Look, the Corolla will always be more reliable and the Mazda 3 is a great handling car, but tech wise? The new Civic is pretty amazing. Yes, there have been and will have problems. Its a complex vehicle. Get a 2015 Civic if that's what you're looking for.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First year of their generation is no excuse for cheap build quality. Materials are materials. And as far as the TSB goes, they are not as stupid as you think. They are just not willing to do the work if they can avoid it. It is not a safety recall, so they are not too concerned. If I as a customer say I have an issue, it should be taken seriously. I should not be told that they cannot reproduce the issue so I am out of luck. Especially when I am holding a printed TSB. It is not like I have nothing better to do with time than to go hang out at Honda service. I think the difference here is that I am willing to admit the car I bought is not as good as other cars out there, while others are trying to make this car better than it is because they are stuck in it. I am just being honest about the car and nothing I have said is untrue in any way. whenever someone asks me how I like it, I tell the truth. I am not going to make excuses for Honda. I paid for the car, and I expect what I paid for.
This is what I do for a living... I design cars. First generation is absolutely a valid excuse. Materials are not materials because materials are constantly changing. The plastic that was used in 2014 might not be available in 2016 so your forced to switch to something else. Believe me, you would not believe what goes into designing cars. I had no idea the levels of depth before I got this job.

It also sounds like you have a crummy dealership. These guys, incompetent as they may be on the issues, have had no problems taking my car and looking for the issues. I've taken it in for the surging issue and satellite radio "Check Tuner" issue, both issues being intermittent and hard to physically diagnose. If I call them for a TSB, they schedule an appointment with no argument.
Sponsored