Sad news...MK6 Civic Type R may go hybrid

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wonder what the longevity looks like for these electric cars. Honda has such a good reputation for lasting forever but I wonder if that will extends to electric cars.
Hybrid warranty is already longer than regular cars. And, Toyota, largest carmaker in the world is extending it. It’s only a matter of time before Honda follows suit or be left behind.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29428255/2020-toyota-hybrid-electric-car-batteries-warranty/
Sponsored

Last edited:

Connorsrandom

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Hybrid warranty is already longer than regular cars. And, Toyota, largest carmaker in the world is extending it. It’s only a matter of time before Honda follows suite or be left behind.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29428255/2020-toyota-hybrid-electric-car-batteries-warranty/
That’s awesome! I can for sure hop on this hybrid/electric car thing. I am excited to see where cars go from here. Just as long as they still let us control them and not all self driving cars.

OP
OP
ExVTEC

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
So people are excited about cars getting more expensive for no reason/benefit?

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
That’s awesome! I can for sure hop on this hybrid/electric car thing. I am excited to see where cars go from here. Just as long as they still let us control them and not all self driving cars.
Considering some of the idiots out there, I wish that there were already more self-driving cars.

OP
OP
ExVTEC

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's possible to make a fast and fun EV. Honda/Toyota just have to make it more affordable for the rest of us. For those with cash, it's already here:

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Not saying hybrids/electric are uncool, but I guess i'm more of a traditional type guy. In a sports car at least, I like just a raw engine in front of me that I can hear and run through the gears with (with the paddles if it's an auto and stick if it's a manual). Sound is part of the sports car experience for me at least and it would still feel like i'm driving around a computer at the end of the day if it were electric. If the car is a mild hybrid then I guess it's ok, but for the most part i'm taking a regular gas car every single day over a hybrid/electric one, even though I know they can be as fast (if not faster) than a traditional gas one. I've driven Teslas a decent amount of times too, and while the acceleration is breathtaking, I still feel like the car is almost soulless.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Not saying hybrids/electric are uncool, but I guess i'm more of a traditional type guy. In a sports car at least, I like just a raw engine in front of me that I can hear and run through the gears with (with the paddles if it's an auto and stick if it's a manual). Sound is part of the sports car experience for me at least and it would still feel like i'm driving around a computer at the end of the day if it were electric. If the car is a mild hybrid then I guess it's ok, but for the most part i'm taking a regular gas car every single day over a hybrid/electric one, even though I know they can be as fast (if not faster) than a traditional gas one. I've driven Teslas a decent amount of times too, and while the acceleration is breathtaking, I still feel like the car is almost soulless.
I could make the same argument about me being a traditional type of guy and believing that all sports cars should be manual transmissions, because automatics feel soulless to me. And that was a legitimate argument maybe a decade or more ago. But now, automatics have become so common we've grown to accept them in pure "sports" or "enthusiast" cars, and now we are arguing over the legitimacy battery powered drive-trains. If you want to talk about real "soulless"-ness, go back to the time period where we were transitioning from horse-drawn carriages to motor cars. I'm pretty sure the horse could put up a better argument for having a soul than the car would.
Pure electric cars are currently not a viable alternative due to the lack of power stations, time to charge, and price, but I don't see any drawback to hybrids done right once they are able to get the prices down to economy-car level.

junooni176

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan 2019 EX
Country flag
I would have thought seriously about getting a hybrid civic if it was available in the same ballpark price range. Better mileage, better acceleration, better for the environment (or say they claim).
But then again, I am not the kind of guy to spend hours and 100s of $$$ to get better engine and exhaust sound and stuff. I just like my 0-60 times and mileage.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I could make the same argument about me being a traditional type of guy and believing that all sports cars should be manual transmissions, because automatics feel soulless to me. And that was a legitimate argument maybe a decade or more ago. But now, automatics have become so common we've grown to accept them in pure "sports" or "enthusiast" cars, and now we are arguing over the legitimacy battery powered drive-trains. If you want to talk about real "soulless"-ness, go back to the time period where we were transitioning from horse-drawn carriages to motor cars. I'm pretty sure the horse could put up a better argument for having a soul than the car would.
Pure electric cars are currently not a viable alternative due to the lack of power stations, time to charge, and price, but I don't see any drawback to hybrids done right once they are able to get the prices down to economy-car level.
That's partly true, but motor cars were better in every measurable way in comparison to horse drawn carriages. And also, i'm talking in the perspective of a car enthusiast. I'm not even arguing about the legitimacy of electric cars, but rather the fun factor of them. For me, a sports car is an emotional purchase and the engine is a part of the experience of driving. Electric cars might be crazy fast, but at the end of the day they are silent. Like I said, I'm a traditionalist. There are plenty of people out there who would purchase something like a Tesla over something like a BMW M5 or a a type of sports car, but i'm not one of those people. And since Hybrids/Electrics are on the rise into the mainstream market anyway, that's even more a reason for me to engine some good old internal combustion before it goes off the market completely.

Pielo7

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
What happend to the last "sport-ish hybrid" honda release...... yhea, you dont remember because no one pay attention to it. CR-Z
Sponsored