PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 High Volume Intake System Install Guide

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does the flange rub that black pipe that directly behind it in that position? Mine does and it was driving me insane because either my hoses hit the hood or the flange rubs that black pipe that's behind it. I assume rubbing the metal pipe isn't good. Anyone have suggestions? I spent a few hours trying to get it in a good position moving the intake hose and the flange.
There's a solution in the other thread: https://www.civicx.com/threads/prl-...olume-intake-system.31751/page-38#post-667161

I did the same thing as suggested (by bending the tube ever so slightly by 1mm). No more rubbing.
Sponsored

stoots_sgp_fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Type R, 2019 Honda Ridgeline
Country flag
Went to install it tonight and I noticed one of the hose clamps screw head was snapped off from the factory. Can’t get a grip on it to remove it so I’ll probably have to drill it out now.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 High Volume Intake System Install Guide E5082F61-03ED-41E0-B348-C7A6A45666B6

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 High Volume Intake System Install Guide BE28FB6C-A057-4297-AB34-46E900328F43

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Went to install it tonight and I noticed one of the hose clamps screw head was snapped off from the factory. Can’t get a grip on it to remove it so I’ll probably have to drill it out now.

E5082F61-03ED-41E0-B348-C7A6A45666B6.jpeg

BE28FB6C-A057-4297-AB34-46E900328F43.jpeg
Lol I literally just posted this same thing one FB the other day. Long story short: it’s not snapped off, that’s how it was designed. You either need to drill it out, pry it off, or work at the hose (the clamp is loose enough that eventually the hose will come off). It sucked though - good luck!

ctl

First Name
ctl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2017 BMW 430i gran coupe, 2020 BMW X3 M40i, 1991 CRX SI
Country flag

E5082F61-03ED-41E0-B348-C7A6A45666B6.jpeg

BE28FB6C-A057-4297-AB34-46E900328F43.jpeg
Use vise grip long nose locking pliers on this and it will come off with ease, just installed my prl intake today with no problems.

stoots_sgp_fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the tips guys. I did notice there's a few more of those clamps like that in there. I'll try out the vice grip long nose tonight.

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
You can also pry it out. That's what worked for me and was suggested here in this thread. I did bleed a little but I got it off :D
Thanks for the tips guys. I did notice there's a few more of those clamps like that in there. I'll try out the vice grip long nose tonight.

stoots_sgp_fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks fellas. I ended up just remove the two clamps on the ends and then just slowly pull at it to release the hose. No gaps but had to bend the hard line a tad to clear.

View attachment 176016

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 High Volume Intake System Install Guide C7356DDC-8F82-4792-8927-2556EB34EE00

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
why PRL Motorsports, LLC hi volume intake, titanium inlet, and charge pipes is a killer setup. for those who doubt, here are the data and facts...

ambient air 78f, 3rd gear pull starting at 2,000 rpms up.
  1. relatively flat iat2/maf intake air temp over rpm range (2,000 to red line)...better than stock intake and any other intake tested (data to be published soon), and rate of iat/map air temp dropping since the ic doesn't have to work so hard.
  2. iat2/maf intake temp was 80.6f (only 2.6f over ambient 78f) and finished the pull/log at 84.2f (only 6.4f over ambient 78f)...meant the intake stayed cool entire pull while turbo kicked in quickly for boost.
  3. iat/map temp dropped at a quicker rate (slope) of 3.3f degrees per second (vs. before 1.6f degrees per second rate).
  4. afr is solid and rich through rpm range of data capture.
  5. it took a mere 2 secs to go from 0 psi to 21 psi - fast spooling.
  6. 1.125 secs to go from 21 psi to 27 psi max boost.
  7. stays at max boost for 2.5 secs and taper to 21 at red line...higher boost for longer period than before.
this is why spooling is so fast, hitting rev limiter by accident in 1st and 2nd gear comes quicker than before the prl triple threat install. proof lies in the data, and data doesn't lie...opinions don't matter.

rK4MsHJ7wyu0xONVWObQkbI99kxseQKnoMDv1lpsPpH_wQoztSRonXPECtSBHApi6L8m660yT&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg
o6rqX_AKrSf-tS92tdMyqOHCQRrVhC2kqAfLXVwUnXLCFHIAE603CdN2N0xOk5knUikMlyXPi&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
just got my kit in and installed it. I had to bend the line so it clears the purge valve. Even then i feel like it's kinda close. Don't feel like messing with it anymore so i'll leave it at that until i need to take it off again.

i haven't driven or started it yet because my steering wheel is off the car getting redone.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 High Volume Intake System Install Guide gaO7Y4V

first impressions:
The kit is solid and well built. I didn't have any issues with the holes not lining up to the maf housing or any other issue. However, the silicone tube imo could have been better designed to clear the metal coolant pipe. Maybe just cut the silicone where the purge valve goes in slightly so it clamps in "deeper". I feel like that would help. I may do this the next time i remove the silicone pipe.
my afe and the oem intake has the purge valve location slightly "lower" than where the metal hard line goes in and it helps clear the line without any bending what so ever.
The issue after the bending is that the coolant hard line is now pointed at a more upward angle and the rubber hose is bent down with a steeper angle. Not really a fan of that. Need to bend the hard line a little to the side towards the end to relieve that angle. I may do that later on.
you can kinda see what i mean here. Kinda hard to take a pic of what i mean. I had an extra set of those rubber hose "holders" so i use it there so the coolant line doesn't touch the plastic clip holding the other vacuum line.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 High Volume Intake System Install Guide 1W8KNZ

the clearance to the hardpipe/bracket to the purge valve.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 High Volume Intake System Install Guide yWmCqim

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 High Volume Intake System Install Guide TuY6nIO

I haven't checked if it is hitting the hood or not but will update after i get my steering wheel and can actually take it out for a drive. I do plan on getting the ti inlet pipe so hopefully the silicone tube is has a little bit more clearance than this one with it installed.

Last edited:

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
just got my kit in and installed it. I had to bend the line so it clears the purge valve. Even then i feel like it's kinda close. Don't feel like messing with it anymore so i'll leave it at that until i need to take it off again.

i haven't driven or started it yet because my steering wheel is off the car getting redone.
gaO7Y4V.jpg

first impressions:
The kit is solid and well built. I didn't have any issues with the holes not lining up to the maf housing or any other issue. However, the silicone tube imo could have been better designed to clear the metal coolant pipe. Maybe just cut the silicone where the purge valve goes in slightly so it clamps in "deeper". I feel like that would help. I may do this the next time i remove the silicone pipe.
my afe and the oem intake has the purge valve location slightly "lower" than where the metal hard line goes in and it helps clear the line without any bending what so ever.
The issue after the bending is that the coolant hard line is now pointed at a more upward angle and the rubber hose is bent down with a steeper angle. Not really a fan of that. Need to bend the hard line a little to the side towards the end to relieve that angle. I may do that later on.
you can kinda see what i mean here. Kinda hard to take a pic of what i mean. I had an extra set of those rubber hose "holders" so i use it there so the coolant line doesn't touch the plastic clip holding the other vacuum line.
1W8KNZg.jpg

the clearance to the hardpipe/bracket to the purge valve.
yWmCqim.jpg

TuY6nIO.jpg

I haven't checked if it is hitting the hood or not but will update after i get my steering wheel and can actually take it out for a drive. I do plan on getting the ti inlet pipe so hopefully the silicone tube is has a little bit more clearance than this one with it installed.
Thanks for the feedback and support, we really appreciate it! :thumbsup:

Judging from your attached pictures, the evap flange looks to be installed correctly, as that is the gap that was intended. Please keep in mind that there are multiple planes of fitment/rotation with the silicone hose (both hose ends, evap flange, vacuum, and all of the rotation/movement involved), so fitment will be tight all the way around. The 4-ply silicone inlet hose makes design and installation a bit difficult due to it's location from the factory. The evap flange needs to be the thickness that it is for thread engagement of the bolts, so we aren't left with much room/material to work with as it is. :( However, most of this tight fitment can be made to work with slight adjustment(s) and bending, much like how you did. :)

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback and support, we really appreciate it! :thumbsup:

Judging from your attached pictures, the evap flange looks to be installed correctly, as that is the gap that was intended. Please keep in mind that there are multiple planes of fitment/rotation with the silicone hose (both hose ends, evap flange, vacuum, and all of the rotation/movement involved), so fitment will be tight all the way around. The 4-ply silicone inlet hose makes design and installation a bit difficult due to it's location from the factory. The evap flange needs to be the thickness that it is for thread engagement of the bolts, so we aren't left with much room/material to work with as it is. :( However, most of this tight fitment can be made to work with slight adjustment(s) and bending, much like how you did. :)
yeah, the silicone pipe was the hardest part of the install lol. I will keep on eye on that purge valve area and the bolts for the airbox.

I did all sorts of maneuvering of the pipe. had both clamps loosen and twist, tighten one side and twist, etc but this position gave me the biggest clearance. I didn't mind bending the hardline since it's a pretty minuscule amount but just a little worried about the angle on the rubber hose especially since it's a coolant hose. Just gotta go back and try to bend that end a little sideways so it's not as high of an angle as it is now and should be ok. It's just hard to bend the line at the end compare to the middle lol.

would cutting this section of the silicone pipe a little more to bring the purge valve slightly lower help? or would you not recommend that. I feel like that would help a lot with clearance.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 High Volume Intake System Install Guide fsbHuF4

Either way, i don't think i'll mess with it too much as long as nothing is rubbing on the hood. I'll probably wait for the Inlet pipe first since it comes with a different silicone tube to do further adjustments.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
God I wish there was a video, the installation guide is darn confusing.

I can't get these screws to install lol. Theres no thread in the holes so not sure how to tighten it

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017+ Honda Civic Type-R FK8 High Volume Intake System Install Guide dscn7317_zpsmvaic3zy-

zcEF

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
It's two pieces, there are threads on the piece that the filter is attached to and you have to hold that on the inside to bolt the two pieces together.

God I wish there was a video, the installation guide is darn confusing.

I can't get these screws to install lol. Theres no thread in the holes so not sure how to tighten it

dscn7317_zpsmvaic3zy-jpg.jpg