Big Brake Kit Installed on Si - problem with wheel bolts

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have just installed the 27Won Big Brake Kit on a 2018 Civic Si with the OEM wheels. It required 5mm wheel spacers. There is 1 to 2 mm brake clearance with the spacers. As a result the lug nuts only engage 4 full turns instead of 7 or 8. This is not acceptable to me, especially for track and autocross use. Am I worrying unnecessarily? What to do now?

If I need longer studs, where can I get them?

I spoke to someone at 27Won, who said I did not need longer bolts with up to 15 mm spacers, but that makes no sense, You'd barely see the threads. I must have misunderstood.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Here is what I had to do so the wheels don't fall off. Install wheel bolts one inch longer, Cut closed ends of lug nuts. Looks pretty good, I think.
Honda Civic 10th gen Big Brake Kit Installed on Si - problem with wheel bolts upload_2019-10-3_11-53-32

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
How’s the pedal feel with the new kit? Is it firmer than stock? Does it bite right away with initial pedal travel? Good to know it will clear with only a 5mm spacer but just barely.

OP
OP

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Pedal is firm, with good bite, but then I bled the brakes during the installation. Doing a track day this weekend,we'll see how the brakes work then.

boibuddha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I spoke to someone at 27Won, who said I did not need longer bolts with up to 15 mm spacers, but that makes no sense, You'd barely see the threads. I must have misunderstood.
There are two types of wheel spacers, bolt-on and slip on (seen below).
Honda Civic 10th gen Big Brake Kit Installed on Si - problem with wheel bolts ?temp_hash=bed6eee493559a55dbbf361451768272

You most likely have slip on 5mm spacers. Once you go up to 15+ mm, they tend to be the bolt-on wheel spacers which use nuts to hold onto the factory studs and use their own studs to attach the wheel. View attachment 178238

Attachments

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Pedal is firm, with good bite, but then I bled the brakes during the installation. Doing a track day this weekend,we'll see how the brakes work then.
Nice... let us know how it performs on the track and if theres any pad knock back. What pads are you using for the track? Any squealing on the streets?

OP
OP

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Braking is much better! The brakes stayed cooler as well. The 27Won kit comes with street pads, I don't know what brand. No squeals at any time. Next year I might try switching pads for track days.

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Glad they are working out for you. I'm definitely interested in this kit or the Stoptech. I had a Stoptech 4 piston kit when I was tracking my 350z and they performed flawlessly on the track and streets. Very good firm pedal feel with no slop in initial pedal travel. But with my new wheels on the way (18x8 +35) I don't think the Stoptech kit will fit as it requires about 9-10mm more clearance compared to the 27won kit. Plus the 27won kit is $400 cheaper.

OP
OP

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
27Won instructions pdf includes a template to cut out and measure on your wheels to determine if a spacer is needed. 5mm is needed for OE wheels. No spacer needed for my winter wheels. You may not need a spacer with your new wheels.
Glad they are working out for you. I'm definitely interested in this kit or the Stoptech. I had a Stoptech 4 piston kit when I was tracking my 350z and they performed flawlessly on the track and streets. Very good firm pedal feel with no slop in initial pedal travel. But with my new wheels on the way (18x8 +35) I don't think the Stoptech kit will fit as it requires about 9-10mm more clearance compared to the 27won kit. Plus the 27won kit is $400 cheaper.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
While late to the party, I believe SCCA and others use a guide of "thread engagement must be equal to the stud diameter". So, it was possible that 4 full rotations would have met that goal. That said, converting to studs/lug nuts make swapping wheels easier and would allow for even larger spacers if desired. Plus you get the enjoyment of the visual of full thread engagement.

OP
OP

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
While late to the party, I believe SCCA and others use a guide of "thread engagement must be equal to the stud diameter". So, it was possible that 4 full rotations would have met that goal. That said, converting to studs/lug nuts make swapping wheels easier and would allow for even larger spacers if desired. Plus you get the enjoyment of the visual of full thread engagement.
I figure wheel bolts are 12x1.5 so four 1.5 threads is 6 mm of engagement, half of the SCCA requirement. You are right it is reassuring to see that the wheels aren't going to fall off.

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
27Won instructions pdf includes a template to cut out and measure on your wheels to determine if a spacer is needed. 5mm is needed for OE wheels. No spacer needed for my winter wheels. You may not need a spacer with your new wheels.
Just got my new wheels today and tested a Stoptech template and a 27won template. Stoptech did not clear and would need at least another 5-10mm. 27won had plenty of clearance. The Stoptech template seems to stick out like 8-9mm more at the furthest point closest to the spokes. Looks like I know my answer when I decide to start tracking again.

Honda Civic 10th gen Big Brake Kit Installed on Si - problem with wheel bolts IMG_0983.JPG

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just got my new wheels today and tested a Stoptech template and a 27won template. Stoptech did not clear and would need at least another 5-10mm. 27won had plenty of clearance. The Stoptech template seems to stick out like 8-9mm more at the furthest point closest to the spokes. Looks like I know my answer when I decide to start tracking again.

IMG_0983.JPG
Happy to see you found the template useful.
Sponsored