Left leg issues when driving - help?

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
I wonder if the bolster is cutting off some circulation to your leg?
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Is there any particular reason that it’s happening now? I would’ve thought when I was learning stick it would have been more prevalent, but even when I first experienced a traffic jam it wasn’t as bad as it’s been.

The pain starts in the left foot and then slowly affects the ankle which in turn then starts affecting the leg.

So I hear, since I haven’t driven anything else I don’t know what a heavy clutch feels like but at least to me this one requires a decent amount of push to fully depress it.

I can look into those but I have no clue which ones will work for the CTR. Kinda dumb I have to mod the car to get around this not gonna lie...
They are cheap friend, just find a good reviewed one - order it, then see if it works - if not - return and get a different one - this feels like a good possible solution for part of your problem. Good luck

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
No, the pain started about a few weeks ago and crescendoed last Thursday. I’ve had pain before even when learning how to drive but it’s been ridiculous as of late. I’m using comfort mode too which all around helps me be smoother with the the clutch.

This morning traffic was fairly light so the pain was relatively restrained but I did feel soreness in my foot when I got out at work. Gonna have to see what it feels like going home where there’s no usually more traffic to contend with.
On a serious note...You should probably have that looked at by a medical professional. The clutch pedal effort on these cars are minimal even with repetitive use. Could be something or nothing. Have it checked out!

bbp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Is there any particular reason that it’s happening now? I would’ve thought when I was learning stick it would have been more prevalent, but even when I first experienced a traffic jam it wasn’t as bad as it’s been.

The pain starts in the left foot and then slowly affects the ankle which in turn then starts affecting the leg.

So I hear, since I haven’t driven anything else I don’t know what a heavy clutch feels like but at least to me this one requires a decent amount of push to fully depress it.

I can look into those but I have no clue which ones will work for the CTR. Kinda dumb I have to mod the car to get around this not gonna lie...
You overworked your leg muscles in days coming to that day.
Let your leg rest and try again in about a week.
If everything goes back to normal hit the gym and work out that leg.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On a serious note...You should probably have that looked at by a medical professional. The clutch pedal effort on these cars are minimal even with repetitive use. Could be something or nothing. Have it checked out!
Planning on it this week if possible

I wonder if the bolster is cutting off some circulation to your leg?
Possibly, but since it’s non adjustable there’s not really a way for me to say if it is or not.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Definitely check with a doc.

In the 45 years I've been driving, this Civic has the lightest clutch I've ever experienced. I've driven bumper to bumper in the cities I've lived in, like Miami, L.A.and now Charlotte, and never experienced anything like you have described.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
No, the pain started about a few weeks ago and crescendoed last Thursday. I’ve had pain before even when learning how to drive but it’s been ridiculous as of late. I’m using comfort mode too which all around helps me be smoother with the the clutch.

This morning traffic was fairly light so the pain was relatively restrained but I did feel soreness in my foot when I got out at work. Gonna have to see what it feels like going home where there’s no usually more traffic to contend with.
if it's pain that has never been there and you were in similiar situation before, i'd personally get it checked out by a professional.

You are still young but as you get older, you'll start to learn that it's better to get it checked out early and be it nothing then to leave it alone and get it checked later only to find out it got worse.

Kekela98a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Could be a lot of issues from a simple muscle strain, disc herniation, to a more serious issue like DVT. Can’t hurt to get yourself check out.

The type R clutch IS one of the lightest clutch I’ve had driven (gut, stage 3 clutch on mazdaspeed protege, wrx, STI)

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
-Don't drive with wallet in back pocket.
-Look at youtube videos on how to properly sit in a car. It sounds stupid but I thought I was sitting too closely but I was way off. When I got to the Ron Fellows driving school they moved me like 3-4" closer.
-Make sure your posture is good.
-Maybe you've got a hyperagulability (thick blood) and are prone to a blood clot if sitting for a long time
-Hit the gym

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Accord LX (wife's)
Country flag
-Don't drive with wallet in back pocket.
-Hit the gym
This ^ especially if the pain is only in one side.

@Zeffy94 Genuine question, are you in good shape overall? And how do you feel you "fit" in the seat overall? I'm pretty athletic but I think the bolsters are a bit tight sometimes.

Other question: does the pain ONLY start while you're pushing in the clutch/using your knee? Any specific pain points on the knee itself?

Something to try before next time you think you'll be in traffic: before you get in the car, do some side leg movements for 20 seconds. This will help a ton IF it's a muscle-related problem or sciatica pain: https://www.healthline.com/health/side-leg-raises#standing

niknatar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, 1999 Mazda Miata
Country flag
Make sure that your knee is always tracking to the outside of your foot when using the clutch (similar to how it would be during a squat). Not sure if there was pain was in your knee or not, but it's definitely something to be mindful of when driving stick.

CTRFK8

First Name
Sauce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
If its causing you that much pain, either you dont have alots of clutch experience/had a long layoff from driving stick/got some joint or nerve problems on your left side.

My left leg got alil sore due to not driving manual for years even though I do squats.

After reading somemore, you shouldnt be feeling pain like that from a R clutch(not a stiff clutch). Slight chance it can be the seats since its so tight.

Whats your height, weight, age, yrs experience driving auto/manual, any history of left leg/back issues, ect?

Whatever it is, go get it checked out because the R clutch itself shouldnt be the problem.

Last edited:

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
do you drive with your wallet or anything firm in your back pocket? it can actually cause nerve damage too.

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
If the seat cushion under your leg compresses when you press the clutch you are too far. Your foot should also be more flat than extended when the clutch is fully pressed.

I had a similar issue and found I was just too far. My left leg would put a lot of pressure on the cushion when pressing the clutch. I also noticed when fully pressed it was just with the tip of my foot. Now my foot is almost flat and my leg does not compress the cushion.

My seating position is closer and the seat back is more upright. You may lose some street cred but your leg will thank you.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If its causing you that much pain, either you dont have alots of clutch experience/had a long layoff from driving stick/got some joint or nerve problems on your left side.

My left leg got alil sore due to not driving manual for years even though I do squats.

After reading somemore, you shouldnt be feeling pain like that from a R clutch(not a stiff clutch). Slight chance it can be the seats since its so tight.

Whats your height, weight, age, yrs experience driving auto/manual, any history of left leg/back issues, ect?

Whatever it is, go get it checked out because the R clutch itself shouldnt be the problem.
Height: 5’11, closer to 6’0
Weight: 125 lbs
Experience driving manual: CTR is car I learned on, had it for 18 months
History of left leg issues: None, only due to flat feet and excessive use of them, back pain has started to become more pronounced since driving the CTR as well

do you drive with your wallet or anything firm in your back pocket? it can actually cause nerve damage too.
I used to but now my left pocket is fully empty. Only thing is my key fob in my right pocket

I don’t know if this will help but here’s a video showing my leg when not extended versus fully depressing the clutch. This is the most comfortable position I can find where my shoe isn’t constantly ramming into the steering column or I don’t feel like I’m straining to reach the clutch pedal

Sponsored

Last edited: