Levihill91

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic touring sedan
Country flag
I am having problems with my gps in my 2017 Honda Civic Touring. When I’m traveling it will show my location off to the side of the interstate driving on terrain with no roads. When I’m driving in towns it sometimes shows that I’m on streets that run parallel to the street that I’m actually driving on. I never had this issue with portable garmin gps models in the past. What should I ask the dealer to fix or replace in order to correct this problem? It’s a real pain when $100 Portable Garmin models are more accurate of showing my correct location.
Sponsored

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I am having problems with my gps in my 2017 Honda Civic Touring. When I’m traveling it will show my location off to the side of the interstate driving on terrain with no roads. When I’m driving in towns it sometimes shows that I’m on streets that run parallel to the street that I’m actually driving on. I never had this issue with portable garmin gps models in the past. What should I ask the dealer to fix or replace in order to correct this problem? It’s a real pain when $100 Portable Garmin models are more accurate of showing my correct location.
Are you using apple carplay/android auto or the built in Garmin system?

OP
OP

Levihill91

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic touring sedan
Country flag
I am using the built in Garmin system.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
OP
OP

Levihill91

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic touring sedan
Country flag
Yes I completed a successful update back in July of this year.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Use your phone :mad:. Jk, well I like Google maps better, but that's besides the point. I've had that happen using android auto as well. I'd assume its just the GPS antenna wigging out, best bet is to have your dealer look at it. Also, if you hold the brightness adjuster, audio button, and menu button a little diagnostic menu will pop up and you can see how many satellites your antenna is seeing.

OP
OP

Levihill91

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic touring sedan
Country flag
Thanks for the info about accessing the diagnostics menu to see how many satellites my gps is using. I’m worried that when I take it to the dealer they won’t be able to understand the problem very well, since it only happens part of the time. I read on a different thread that another person was having the same problem. She said that there was interference with the signal caused by the instrument panel (speedometer). I just don’t understand how that could be fixed, because if the instrument cluster is replaced it seems that there would still be interference from the new cluster.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Thanks for the info about accessing the diagnostics menu to see how many satellites my gps is using. I’m worried that when I take it to the dealer they won’t be able to understand the problem very well, since it only happens part of the time. I read on a different thread that another person was having the same problem. She said that there was interference with the signal caused by the instrument panel (speedometer). I just don’t understand how that could be fixed, because if the instrument cluster is replaced it seems that there would still be interference from the new cluster.
Unless it's a faulty part. I'd just take it in and tell them regardless. Don't mention anything about what you've seen on here, they usually just ignore what you have to say and make fun of you when you're gone.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I believe the GPS antenna is just under the top of the dash, so it is real close to the Instrument panel (speedometer). That unit has a Microprocessor, and associated high frequency radiation, and is in a Plastic enclosure.
Placing a metallic grounded screen over the top of (or ideally AROUND) the Instrument panel, between it and the GPS antenna, "May" improve things, or even moving the GPS antenna away from the Instrument panel, more towards the passenger side of the vehicle may help

Yes, one should not have to do this, but if this is the cause of the problem, there is not much of an alternative.

A Similar situation of INTERFERENCE exist between the AM Radio in the non Premium Audio systems, and the A/C-Heater Fan. (Not that many care or use AM these days)

The Premium systems have the AM/FM radio tuner located far away from the head unit (and the A/C Blower motor), so they do not suffer from this.

IF you run the Blower, and place a Portable AM radio near the dash, especially in the Passenger compartment foot-well (Close to the Blower Motor), you will hear the interference on the AM Radio.

Erin Tyres

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T
Country flag
If the navigation system has any option to set the "datum", try the WGS84 setting. There are several valid but slightly different ways to calculate latitude and longitude. For example, some datums consider continental drift and others do not. The WGS84 datum seems to be the default, and it might match the maps better than the others.
Sponsored