Braiton

First Name
SI_GFX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 19'
Country flag
So I hate cords and hate having the Apple charging cord taking up room and getting in the way so I was wondering if anyone had a Bluetooth attachment or tweak that they did to allow for them to enter their civic si (or other 9/10th gen) and have the Bluetooth pick the phone seamlessly and without issue play music instantaneously.

Thank you!!
Sponsored

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
There’s a whole thread on this bud. Search around

OP
OP
Braiton

Braiton

First Name
SI_GFX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 19'
Country flag
There’s a whole thread on this bud. Search around
Searched around. Concluded that our cars cannot do it, even though the capability is there. I'd ask for your help but if you knew then you would've shared to begin with. Be a bit more helpful next time, or don't reply at all, bud.

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Searched around. Concluded that our cars cannot do it, even though the capability is there. I'd ask for your help but if you knew then you would've shared to begin with. Be a bit more helpful next time, or don't reply at all, bud.
Are you asking for Wireless CarPlay support or are you looking to have your phone start playing music via Bluetooth when you get in the car? Those are two separate things.

The Wireless CarPlay thing would be a nice to have for sure. I'd argue the capability really is not there - certainly not out of the box. But as others will tell you, with a little coaxing and some third party stuff some have kinda sorta got it to work. Others (in the aforementioned other thread) bought a dongle on Amazon (??) but the feedback has not sounded all that great. Among other things, the response time is not stellar and it requires installing something (software) on your headunit if I read things right. In the end it sounded like there were more unsatisfied users than satisfied users.

The audio via Bluetooth seems much more doable and certainly sounds like it should just work - assuming of course you were actually playing music upon entering your car. If you had the "source" on your headunit set to Bluetooth then shouldn't the music that is playing on your phone just start playing through the car speakers when the system started up?

I have to admit I am a big CarPlay user so I rarely, if ever, use the Bluetooth streaming option in my '16 Touring. But it seems like it should work given the scenario above.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Literally just search “wireless car play” in search bar and it’s third result. It’s possible and people have done it already it’ll cost around 90$ https://www.civicx.com/threads/wireless-carplay-dongle-is-available-for-civic.37718/page-3

rplush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
So I found a solution to this last night and started searching for that USB dongle. Found out there were 2 versions that can possibly work with our head units. One requires an APK to be installed and can be plugged into any USB ports in the car, the other works natively with the head units built in CarPlay app and can only be plugged in only in the USB port near the driver side. So to find out if it worked, I ordered both versions.

The version that requires an APK was prime eligible so I got it today and tested it out. You do need your head unit to be rooted with HondaHack in order to install the APK to sideload apps. Once plugged in, the OS has a prompt if you want to auto-launch AutoKit.app (click yes). Pairing was a breeze, connect to the USB dongle bluetooth (to enable wifi handshake) and the App configures itself to connect to the phone. Once connected, CarPlay interface appeared. The performance, as far as responsiveness, is comparable to AM units with wireless CarPlay. There was slight delay when you're actually looking at both your head unit and phone when switching apps (.5-1 seconds) but when just playing audio and maps interface and having your phone display in sleep mode, it feels good enough. From cold boot, to connect to your iPhone it takes about a minute for the CarPlay interface to show up. I'd say experience wise, it's real close to wired CarPlay.

Shipping time for the second dongle I mentioned is about a month from now (shipped direct from China) and I can't wait to test out the performance of that version. Just remember that you don't need to install a separate app on your head unit, works natively.

Feel free to ask any other questions about this dongle

Kenmakara

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
So I found a solution to this last night and started searching for that USB dongle. Found out there were 2 versions that can possibly work with our head units. One requires an APK to be installed and can be plugged into any USB ports in the car, the other works natively with the head units built in CarPlay app and can only be plugged in only in the USB port near the driver side. So to find out if it worked, I ordered both versions.

The version that requires an APK was prime eligible so I got it today and tested it out. You do need your head unit to be rooted with HondaHack in order to install the APK to sideload apps. Once plugged in, the OS has a prompt if you want to auto-launch AutoKit.app (click yes). Pairing was a breeze, connect to the USB dongle bluetooth (to enable wifi handshake) and the App configures itself to connect to the phone. Once connected, CarPlay interface appeared. The performance, as far as responsiveness, is comparable to AM units with wireless CarPlay. There was slight delay when you're actually looking at both your head unit and phone when switching apps (.5-1 seconds) but when just playing audio and maps interface and having your phone display in sleep mode, it feels good enough. From cold boot, to connect to your iPhone it takes about a minute for the CarPlay interface to show up. I'd say experience wise, it's real close to wired CarPlay.

Shipping time for the second dongle I mentioned is about a month from now (shipped direct from China) and I can't wait to test out the performance of that version. Just remember that you don't need to install a separate app on your head unit, works natively.

Feel free to ask any other questions about this dongle
Anxiously looking forward to seeing how the second dongle works out. I'm definitely interested! *bookmarked*