Spec Clutch Install Issues

CXRB17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan LX, '17 CTR (PA Signed in WI, ETA 5/31-6/7, Blue)
Country flag
My guy at the shop installing the clutch states that the pedal engages so close to the ground it’s having a hard time going through gears. They’ve said to have checked everything and are still having issues

Using a Spec Stage 2+ clutch from maperformance.

Any help here would be great.
Sponsored

Arcam

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
My guy at the shop installing the clutch states that the pedal engages so close to the ground it’s having a hard time going through gears. They’ve said to have checked everything and are still having issues

Using a Spec Stage 2+ clutch from maperformance.

Any help here would be great.
Air in the hydraulic line? Faulty master and or slave cylinder? Clutch pedal pushrod adjustment? Faulty pressureplate?

OP
OP

CXRB17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Air in the hydraulic line? Faulty master and or slave cylinder? Clutch pedal pushrod adjustment? Faulty pressureplate?
Here’s my shop response:
Cables are set properly and fluid is bled, master and slave cylinder are moving fine. Clutch is grabbing so close to floor its having a hard time flowing between gears.

We have re checked everything that would cause this symptom and nothing is showing abnormal.

Arcam

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
Here’s my shop response:
Cables are set properly and fluid is bled, master and slave cylinder are moving fine. Clutch is grabbing so close to floor its having a hard time flowing between gears.

We have re checked everything that would cause this symptom and nothing is showing abnormal.
The pressure plate is obviously not releasing correctly, I cant diagnose further but my original answers still stand.

OP
OP

CXRB17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The pressure plate is obviously not releasing correctly, I cant diagnose further but my original answers still stand.
Sent your response over. I’ll update as I know more. Appreciate it

Arcam

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
Sent your response over. I’ll update as I know more. Appreciate it
If all else checks out ok then it must be a faulty pressure plate, does the pedal feel normal?

OP
OP

CXRB17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If all else checks out ok then it must be a faulty pressure plate, does the pedal feel normal?
Wouldn’t the pressure plate issue have arisen before this clutch was installed if it was an issue?

I’m about to drive the car for the first time.

Arcam

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
Wouldn’t the pressure plate issue have arisen before this clutch was installed if it was an issue?

I’m about to drive the car for the first time.
I thought the clutch had just been fitted? The PP would have been changed as part of the clutch replacement (Centre Plate, Pressure Plate and Release Bearing).

OP
OP

CXRB17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I thought the clutch had just been fitted? The PP would have been changed as part of the clutch replacement (Centre Plate, Pressure Plate and Release Bearing).
Clutch was just fitted. Sorry, I clearly don’t fully understand the inner workings here which is why I was reaching out For the help.

Just finished my drive.

Car won’t shift into 1st 5th or R while on. When off it shifts just fine with no problem.

I turned it on and drove the car a couple blocks. If you turn it on in R or 1 it will engage. Engagement point is very low to the ground and they have adjusted as much as possible

bbp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Defective pressure plate if the clutch fluid is bled properly. I had the same issue with 2 spec clutches over the years. Spec quality control and pressure plate material is inferior. In my case the pressure plate failed in less than 1 year on one car and a few months on another car. What you can do is try adjust the clutch pedal. If that doesn't help do not drive the car or you will damage your transmission. Take the clutch out and send it back to Spec.

ctl

First Name
ctl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2017 BMW 430i gran coupe, 2020 BMW X3 M40i, 1991 CRX SI
Country flag
Clutch was just fitted. Sorry, I clearly don’t fully understand the inner workings here which is why I was reaching out For the help.

Just finished my drive.

Car won’t shift into 1st 5th or R while on. When off it shifts just fine with no problem.

I turned it on and drove the car a couple blocks. If you turn it on in R or 1 it will engage. Engagement point is very low to the ground and they have adjusted as much as possible
This happened to me when I had my 2018 civic si with a spec stage 3+. Car wouldn’t shift into 1st or reverse while the car was running but would shift fine with the car off.

On the clutch friction disc where it says front and back it was opposite of the factory friction disc. When compared to the factory disc it looks like the spec friction disc is labeled wrong and I originally installed it with how spec wanted it was position and it was horrible and insanely hard to put in any gear while running. so I removed the trans and flipped the friction disc and it got a little better.

I just shifted into 1st or reverse with the car off then started the car to get it moving forward or in reverse. I also adjusted the clutch slave cylinder rod at the pedal so it had a longer stroke and it helped.

I was really upset spending $600+ on the clutch for it to be doing this. After 500 miles this all went away and it shifted and felt like stock but with a little clutch chatter.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
there is a engagement adjustment under the pedal.
i went through this too when i did my cm300.
just a couple twist of the nut and your good.
too bad you need to be an acrobat to get in there.

Arcam

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag

Just finished my drive.

If it was OK before they fitted the clutch and not afterwards then assuming they have done the job correctly we are just left with a bad pressure plate, there is no adjustment they can make to the clutch as it is self adjusting, the operating rod from the clutch pedal is adjustable (but not for adjusting the clutch), it should be adjusted to take up the slack between the rod and master cylinder only.

I know based on what you have said that the bite is very low, the OEM bite is pretty high, does the clutch pedal feel "normal"?

I am still saying this looks like a faulty pressure plate and as a few others have already stated they had issues with the pressure plate from this same manufacturer.

Last edited:
OP
OP

CXRB17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Defective pressure plate if the clutch fluid is bled properly. I had the same issue with 2 spec clutches over the years. Spec quality control and pressure plate material is inferior. In my case the pressure plate failed in less than 1 year on one car and a few months on another car. What you can do is try adjust the clutch pedal. If that doesn't help do not drive the car or you will damage your transmission. Take the clutch out and send it back to Spec.
Don’t like to hear that at all. Good to know moving forward. If this is in fact a defective clutch/pressure plate I’m going for a full return. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze here.

OP
OP

CXRB17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If it was OK before they fitted the clutch and not afterwards then assuming they have done the job correctly we are just left with a bad pressure plate, there is no adjustment they can make to the clutch as it is self adjusting, the operating rod from the clutch pedal is adjustable (but not for adjusting the clutch), it should be adjusted to take up the slack between the rod and master cylinder only.

I know based on what you have said that the bite is very low, the OEM bite is pretty high, does the clutch pedal feel "normal"?

I am still saying this looks like a faulty pressure plate and as a few others have already stated they had issues with the pressure plate from this same manufacturer.
I mean, the pedal feels “normal”. Lot more weighty, which to be expected.

It feels like it engages about 5 inches off the ground.
Sponsored