Long term reliability; 1.5T vs 2.0NA ?

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic LX Black Pearl
Country flag
The only thing that was a headache for me was the AC compressor on my 2016 civic died prematurely after my warranty ran out. It was eventually covered under extended warranty but one dealer ripped me off 500 by putting freon and not fixing it.

Heard after a lot of complaining that they will cover it in warranty but it also depends on the dealer.
Sponsored

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Today's engines (especially Hondas) last longer than the rest of the car, so it is a moot point which engine you get. Even if the 2.0 lasts 150,000 miles longer than the 1.5T, that would mean that the 1.5T would "only" last 250,000 miles (Those 2.0 liter motors are indestructible and could last 400,000 miles). Of course, by 250,000 miles, the CVT, exhaust, suspension, charging system, cooling system, steering, electronics, aircon, injectors,... will all be shot and the car won't be worth fixing.

The only thing I would do different with the Turbo, is change the oil a little more frequently. Take care of your Honda, and it will last a long time.

OP
OP
raf702

raf702

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport SGP
Country flag
The only thing that was a headache for me was the AC compressor on my 2016 civic died prematurely after my warranty ran out. It was eventually covered under extended warranty but one dealer ripped me off 500 by putting freon and not fixing it.

Heard after a lot of complaining that they will cover it in warranty but it also depends on the dealer.
I recently read there was a new bulletin that Honda announced a 10-year/unlimited miles warranty on the A/C compressor. Hopefully mine doesn’t run into any issues.

You’re right about every dealer is different on how they handle warranty issues.

Today's engines (especially Hondas) last longer than the rest of the car, so it is a moot point which engine you get. Even if the 2.0 lasts 150,000 miles longer than the 1.5T, that would mean that the 1.5T would "only" last 250,000 miles (Those 2.0 liter motors are indestructible and could last 400,000 miles). Of course, by 250,000 miles, the CVT, exhaust, suspension, charging system, cooling system, steering, electronics, aircon, injectors,... will all be shot and the car won't be worth fixing.

The only thing I would do different with the Turbo, is change the oil a little more frequently. Take care of your Honda, and it will last a long time.
I appreciate that!

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
On many car mags * I read, they all said don't buy 1.5 turbo, buy the 2L
2 L engine with MT is very fun.

* As read here too with 1.5 turbo ; oil dilution, poor heat in winter.......

OP
OP
raf702

raf702

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
On many car mags * I read, they all said don't buy 1.5 turbo, buy the 2L
2 L engine with MT is very fun.

* As read here too with 1.5 turbo ; oil dilution, poor heat in winter.......
2.0NA has been great, manual just isnt an option for me as a daily driver. And with consistent traffic where I live, I had to let go of my previous car which was a 11' Subaru WRX. Fun car, but driving manual in the conditions I'm in. It got old really fast, I would entertain the 1.5T if it were from a 2018+ model.

Jeezer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 civic hatch ex, '90 civic ef hatch b16a1, '95 a32 maxima vq35de
Country flag
I didn't read through the whole thread, but IMO they are both going to be reliable in the right hands. The 1.5t gets killer mileage and has minor issues. Turbo cars *typically* hold their value a little bit better. I haven't driven a 2.0 but I know that they are very reliable and offer plenty of power. It comes down to you and what you really want. Turbos require maintenance eventually, but every part on a car will have to be serviced at some point. If you really keep it long enough to see those days, there will be so many other factors that will affect the longevity of your car. Just pick whichever one you like and take good care of it. Sometimes I feel like it'd be so much easier if they didn't give us choices :confused:

john21031

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Fit Sport 5MT
Country flag
1.5 turbo with direct injection is about one third of reliability of a 2.0 naturally aspirated port injection.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't your mother tell you if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it? :cool: Don't judge someone else's choice until you walk a mile in their shoes. I'm sure most CVT 2.0 owners are happy with their cars. Better tires and a KTuner will up the ante quite nicely on that combo.

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic LX Black Pearl
Country flag
As far as reliability had close to 60k miles felt I was changing oil every 2 months or less on the 2lt cvt. The battery died in 2 years and the tires were basically dead by 50k miles so I replaced them. Even with these issues I did like the car, but I felt the car was eating up the oil.

Probably will have similar issues but what I did notice is the battery on this is decent and I am not noticing any weird electrical issues on the turbo yet. I most likely will have problems once my car will get into an accident.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Yeah it happens quick but it’s there. In second you can barely hear it engage if you run it up to redline before you shift. But now with the ktuner it stays engaged longer so now you even notice it in first! It’s quick but you can definitely hear it. It helps pull in the top end better. Is yours tuned?

OP
OP
raf702

raf702

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is my first ever CVT equipped vehicle. And to me, honestly it drives like any other automatic. I do notice that at very low speed/rpm it has like an odd feeling. Like a delay or jerks, although I know it's not real gears. It's not a big deal, and it's barely even noticeable, doesn't bother me either. Car drives smooth as I would expect it to.

What's the point of CVT anyway? Is it suppose to be a more cost effective/cheaper solution to a standard automatic transmission?
Sponsored

Last edited: