Rooted Stock headunit- What's your setup (apps)

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I tried Nova Launcher, and it works much smoother, but i figured that the Honda launcher has to be running in background for the buttons and cameras to work. I couldn't find a way to make it run on startup neither how to keep it running persistently in the background, but if someone manages to do this, it certainly runs much faster than stock launcher.

Plus, all the stock home screen buttons can be simulated with nova launcher activities/shortcuts.
A little surprised it worked better than the simplistic Honda launcher.
At least the Honda head unit software is OPTIMIZED and designed (coded) for quick Loading, so the wait from boot to menu is minimal.
Sponsored

Turboroe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 1.5L 2018
Country flag
A little surprised it worked better than the simplistic Honda launcher.
At least the Honda head unit software is OPTIMIZED and designed (coded) for quick Loading, so the wait from boot to menu is minimal.
Much smoother and quicker.

But besides that, I think the biggest problem with the stock launcher is that animation whenever you return to home screen... That adds a huge unnecessary delay in usability.

Since I am hyperactive, anxious and get nervous easily, I would always choose speed over stupid PowerPoint animations :spaz:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Much smoother and quicker.

But besides that, I think the biggest problem with the stock launcher is that animation whenever you return to home screen... That adds a huge unnecessary delay in usability.

Since I am hyperactive, anxious and get nervous easily, I would always choose speed over stupid PowerPoint animations :spaz:
Thanks -- I'll have to try that - not that I am experiencing any issues of unacceptable Slowness, or things not working.

Currently I have a non-modified original Honda late 2018 Si head unit in my SI, and it works perfectly. Do disconnects, and everything works as expected.
I also have another EBay used (from totaled car) 2018 si head unit, as well as one that is not Premium Audio (ie Amp is in head unit), and a Premium Sound unit that has the internal Navigation.

Until I really saw how Primitive the Honda Garmin Nav system is in the Honda Unit with Nav, I thought I wanted the head unit Garmin software, but after comparing it with say Google maps, it's a poor looser... total "ancient" out of date rubbish.

All 3 of these are Honda hacked, and they all work perfectly well, and have a few extra apps loaded, including a Player that can handle Flac files etc.

I had resisted changing the Launcher on any of these units "assuming" that they low speed might not allow a more complex Launcher to work well, but I should try out FCC Launcher (The Launcher I use on my "China" Eonon aftermarket Android 8 head unit in the Maxima.) FCC is totally amazing !!

Turboroe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 1.5L 2018
Country flag
Thanks -- I'll have to try that - not that I am experiencing any issues of unacceptable Slowness, or things not working.

Currently I have a non-modified original Honda late 2018 Si head unit in my SI, and it works perfectly. Do disconnects, and everything works as expected.
I also have another EBay used (from totaled car) 2018 si head unit, as well as one that is not Premium Audio (ie Amp is in head unit), and a Premium Sound unit that has the internal Navigation.

Until I really saw how Primitive the Honda Garmin Nav system is in the Honda Unit with Nav, I thought I wanted the head unit Garmin software, but after comparing it with say Google maps, it's a poor looser... total "ancient" out of date rubbish.

All 3 of these are Honda hacked, and they all work perfectly well, and have a few extra apps loaded, including a Player that can handle Flac files etc.

I had resisted changing the Launcher on any of these units "assuming" that they low speed might not allow a more complex Launcher to work well, but I should try out FCC Launcher (The Launcher I use on my "China" Eonon aftermarket Android 8 head unit in the Maxima.) FCC is totally amazing !!

Yeah but check what I said on my first post on this matter:

" but i figured that the Honda launcher has to be running in background for the buttons and cameras to work. I couldn't find a way to make it run on startup neither how to keep it running persistently in the background, but if someone manages to do this, it certainly runs much faster than stock launcher. "

It does work, but it DOESN´T work. You will lose all the cameras, buttons (including climate) and steering wheel buttons every time android closes the background process for the stock launcher, so this leaves the unit unusable, at least for an android system noob like me.

If anyone nerdier than me can figure how to keep the stock launcher running in the background (and run on boot) then I am sure you can use any other launcher on honda HU.
I´ll give it a try at XDA forum to see if someone can make this happen.

boinam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring Hatch
Country flag
Weird, I think that's the same files I used. I downloaded from www.apkmirror.com on my desktop PC, saved them to a USB drive, and installed onto my HU from the USB.
I'm not sure what I did, but I just downloaded the latest versions of SuperSU and BusyBox from apkmirror, and V4A from autohack.org/apk, stuck them on the USB drive, and was able to install everything. Had to update BusyBox in order to install the V4A driver, but it looks like everything is working. I guess the APK extraction process from my phone broke something. Hope this helps if other people have problems!

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Accord LX (wife's)
Country flag
I'm not sure what I did, but I just downloaded the latest versions of SuperSU and BusyBox from apkmirror, and V4A from autohack.org/apk, stuck them on the USB drive, and was able to install everything. Had to update BusyBox in order to install the V4A driver, but it looks like everything is working. I guess the APK extraction process from my phone broke something. Hope this helps if other people have problems!
Nice! Glad it worked!

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5L CVT Sport Plus
Country flag
sorry for asking but i couldnt find the right forum thread regarding that topic:

there was a tutorial for setting up honda hack with an obd2 app/tool.
where do i find the instructions for that obd2 install?

thanks...

dsegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Pilot, 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring MT6
Country flag
What version of APKPure is recommended? Will the latest work OK?

radali

First Name
Radu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R FK8
Country flag
hi, can I see my phone content on the HU? have a lot of music on phone storage. or to see the phone like a USB storage device on HU

Merlanit0

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Could you walk me through it process of installing everything? I'd like to know. Since I tried to install the apps from the honda hack and it said I didnt have root privileges or something.

boinam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring Hatch
Country flag
Could you walk me through it process of installing everything? I'd like to know. Since I tried to install the apps from the honda hack and it said I didnt have root privileges or something.
Did you download SuperSU and Busy box from apkmirror? Between that and just re-applying the hack from http://autohack.org/root/ one or two more times, I think one of those did the trick, since I was also getting a root privilege error as well.

Civic_Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Question for a Noob, If I follow the instructions for Civic 10th Gen
HOW TO INSTALL HONDA HACK ON CIVIC

Wont this automatically install Super SU & Root?

Also, I am looking to just install Honda Hack to gain access to features like One click rear camera, turning off that annoying pop up when you stop the car. If after you install Honda Hack can one get rid of it by just resetting the Head Unit?

bobbyr

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag

Also, I am looking to just install Honda Hack to gain access to features like One click rear camera, turning off that annoying pop up when you stop the car. If after you install Honda Hack can one get rid of it by just resetting the Head Unit?

bobbyr

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I did. I loaded so much stuff (extra) I was bogged down. I reset and it was gone.

I reinstalled Honda Hack and added stuff slowly. I did't install Google Play Services (yet). I was glad I could reset it back to stock, so now I can go crazy.

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did. I loaded so much stuff (extra) I was bogged down. I reset and it was gone.

I reinstalled Honda Hack and added stuff slowly. I did't install Google Play Services (yet). I was glad I could reset it back to stock, so now I can go crazy.
To reset do you just factory default the head unit? I installed Google Play Services and feel the bog, hoping to reset and just download minimal apps
Sponsored