burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
What’s sup guys, I have a 2018 civic si and was installing my downpipe when I noticed the oem turbo having shaft play. So I guess the turbo is gonna blow soon ? I have 21k, prl cobra with tsp race maf tune.
Sponsored

VidaDeX

Dm Slder
First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What’s sup guys, I have a 2018 civic si and was installing my downpipe when I noticed the oem turbo having shaft play. So I guess the turbo is gonna blow soon ? I have 21k, prl cobra with tsp race maf tune.
Have you been two stepping?

OP
OP
burningoilagain

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Have you been two stepping?
I can’t sit here and say I haven’t done it before I have. But not something I do ALL the time. Another guy in the mechanic shop say that the shaft play is normal to have some sort of play. Especially with an oem one

VidaDeX

Dm Slder
First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can’t sit here and say I haven’t done it before I have. But not something I do ALL the time. Another guy in the mechanic shop say that the shaft play is normal to have some sort of play. Especially with an oem one
I’m on my second turbo. Any turbine shaft play is the result of a blown turbo. I went and bought another stock turbo. My advice upgrade your turbo to a new one and don’t two step. Rolling anti lag is okay here and there because your getting air into the motor but at a standstill don’t do it.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

THATSi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
I feel like this is a good thread for me to plug my factory turbo for sale. Like 20kish miles on it, no shaft play, in good shape

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
YouTube search “Cars two stepping”
Thanks -- watched the video -- am now a little wiser -- but now have questions.

Video suggest that most OEM rev limiters are done by Fuel Leaning, and that it is Ignition Retard rev limiting that can cause issues with over-stressing the turbo.

So:-

Does Honda use Fuel Leaning or Ignition Retard for rev limiting. ?

OP
OP
burningoilagain

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I’m on my second turbo. Any turbine shaft play is the result of a blown turbo. I went and bought another stock turbo. My advice upgrade your turbo to a new one and don’t two step. Rolling anti lag is okay here and there because your getting air into the motor but at a standstill don’t do it.
Anti lag thing I haven’t done and don’t plan on it. I just don’t wanna buy a turbo now if it’s not needed. I should have recorded the play to see if it’s normal or not. But I guess I will find out one of these days then lol.

EastBayCivic

First Name
DerekZoolander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Anti lag thing I haven’t done and don’t plan on it. I just don’t wanna buy a turbo now if it’s not needed. I should have recorded the play to see if it’s normal or not. But I guess I will find out one of these days then lol.
Any odd sounds or behavior? Or can you only tell there is play when inspecting it ?

OP
OP
burningoilagain

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Any odd sounds or behavior? Or can you only tell there is play when inspecting it ?
No odd sounds, weird behavior! When my mechanic pulled the turbo out he saw there was some play in it. But didn’t know if that was normal or not based on it being a new Honda turbo. He said usually when it has play it’s going bad. And some of my other friends with turbo cars say some sort of play is normal especially with a baby turbo

EastBayCivic

First Name
DerekZoolander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
No odd sounds, weird behavior! When my mechanic pulled the turbo out he saw there was some play in it. But didn’t know if that was normal or not based on it being a new Honda turbo. He said usually when it has play it’s going bad. And some of my other friends with turbo cars say some sort of play is normal especially with a baby turbo
Thanks for the info! I'm trying to educate myself on how to pick up if things are going bad.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I love these posts...its got play in it... what is the actual lateral and radial runout? You know, using sophisticated instruments like a dial indicator. Without which you have no idea if it’s bad or not.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
I’ve just watched a video on kia turbo motor rebuild and brand new turbo had play on both sides. I guess it is to compensate for thermal expansion
Sponsored