First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hi,

Ran into a problem when I was on the highway today on stage 1 map 3. All the lights started to pop in my dashboard and I was going 70mph. I was really worried about what was going on, I wasnt even on sport mode and it was not letting me change it to sport mode. I took the next exit and looked at the code on KTuner. Turns out it was code p0172 (Running rich). I headed right back at home when I saw this.. I reflashed the car and all the lights went away. I started driving it after to see if the code would come back, and when I gave the car a little bit of gas on map 3 my engine light started to flash and I had 3 codes, all three of them were misfire in 3 different cylinders.. The exhaust was smelling big time like rotten eggs... Have I done any permanent damage to the engine?

Can someone help me here? I switched back to map 1 after all of this and the lights went away and it was running fine and it didnt smell like rotten eggs anymore... I am running the street tune and always running on 91 octane.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Masked

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Also, I was monitoring for a bit the AFR, at idle it was sitting at 12-13 and when on gas it was close to 14, dont know if that could help

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
What intake does the car have?

What version of the file did you load?

OP
OP
Masked

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
What intake does the car have?

What version of the file did you load?
I still have the stock intake and I am running the street tune. I did not upload the race tune. Spark plugs? Air filter? Im not sure here I will need to check this out. Btw, the car only has 15k miles

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
I think your Octane simply isn’t of high enough quality. Try the 93or better instead of the 91.

OP
OP
Masked

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I think your Octane simply isn’t of high enough quality. Try the 93or better instead of the 91.
Not possible where I live. Highest we have here is 91.. I always run on Shell V-Power..

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Not possible where I live. Highest we have here is 91.. I always run on Shell V-Power..
Sorry to hear that. I just know that knock will be more prevalent with that tune with lower octane fuel. Your mileage is really low so I wouldn’t assume carbon build up. I also understand that Canada’s ethanol content in the fuel is more than not, absent in the processing of it - this, less octane content.
I’m certain you have already flashed your vehicle back to stock or a different CAN tune at this point. It sucks...I completely get it, but it’s not the tune file.

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Word from a couple So Cal tuners is that these cars tend to knock a little more on Shell 91. Not sure why. You can try switching to Chevron and see if you notice an improvement. But I might recommend having their tuner looking over your logs first.

OP
OP
Masked

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Thats weird.. I flashed the car to the stock tune for the moment, Im gonna wait until I have no gas in the tank left and try with a different brand

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Why are we discussing octane and knock? This is clearly a very different issue.

You're running super rich, enough to throw a code. So you've got a race MAF tune with a stock intake, a boost leak, or something else like leaking injectors.

If you're sure the tune isn't for a race MAF, then check for a boost leak first.

OP
OP
Masked

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Why are we discussing octane and knock? This is clearly a very different issue.

You're running super rich, enough to throw a code. So you've got a race MAF tune with a stock intake, a boost leak, or something else like leaking injectors.

If you're sure the tune isn't for a race MAF, then check for a boost leak first.
Thanks for the help, it was weird to me anyway what the octane would change here.. How would be the best way to check for a boost leak? I'm thinking maybe I was on a race MAF tune even though it seemed to be for street MAF. I will check with TSP on that one, because I went back to the stock tune and the car is running perfectly

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thanks for the help, it was weird to me anyway what the octane would change here.. How would be the best way to check for a boost leak? I'm thinking maybe I was on a race MAF tune even though it seemed to be for street MAF. I will check with TSP on that one, because I went back to the stock tune and the car is running perfectly
That's strange. Was there an "R" anywhere in the tune file name? I feel like I've heard that's on the Race MAF tunes, but don't have a source on that...

You basically just wanna inspect all hoses, lines, and couplers between the MAF/intake/turbo inlet and the cold pipe of the intercooler, where it is being routed into the intake manifold. Any holes/tears/loose clamps, etc. could cause a boost leak.

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
That's strange. Was there an "R" anywhere in the tune file name? I feel like I've heard that's on the Race MAF tunes, but don't have a source on that...

You basically just wanna inspect all hoses, lines, and couplers between the MAF/intake/turbo inlet and the cold pipe of the intercooler, where it is being routed into the intake manifold. Any holes/tears/loose clamps, etc. could cause a boost leak.
If the file has R in it he has the race maf file that's his problem
Sponsored