TSP Stage 1 Tune for the 2017+ Civic Si (Cobra Race Support Included!)

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow that's impressive, after reading through these forums I think you're one of the few people to have run an aggressive map for an extended time without any issues. Going to order a ktuner from TSP tonight, most likely going to stay in map 2 to be on the safer side for daily driving and map 3 when I really wanna give it to her.

Do you have any other tips on how to be conservative with the clutch? Also, revhang is a debated quite a bit, I don't really have an issue with it as some other users do but I do want to see what its like driving with it off. Do you have it disabled or leave it as is for the time your cars been tuned?
Rev hang has always been disabled on any tune I've done. The heavy 2 piece flywheel tends to make revs drop slow as it is... the slow throttle close for emissions that makes up what we can do to minimize 'rev hang' helps. Even with it disabled, it's pretty easy to shift so fast that your revs aren't matched when upshifting. I tend to skip gears a lot when I drive... so it's just that much worse.

I don't know that I'm an unusual case regarding not getting my clutch changed. I think there's far more people on their stock clutches with basemaps or even this tune.

My driving style with the Civic is the same as with my Z... or with any other manual car I've had... whether it's an NA or a turbo. When I want to accelerate hard, I downshift and use the upper 1/2 of the RPM range... where the power is made. I don't try to accelerate hard at low RPMs. That's just for cruising. Now I'll regularly drive geared very high at low RPMs... shifting early in the realm of 6 mph for 2nd (it will idle and move itself at 3 and 6 in 1st and 2nd respectively)... 15 mph for 3rd... 20 mph for 4th... 25 mph in 5th... and 35 mph for 6th. Yeah... I'm turning stupid low RPMs and would be in danger of lugging and slipping the clutch if I went and even gave it moderate throttle to build a decent amount of boost at those speeds once I hit the boost threshold. But... poking around in an empty car with 1 passenger on level ground is fine and lets me crack 40 MPGs on my city-ish daily drive if I want to just putt around.

You always can vote with your foot. I can have my instantaneous MPGs hovering between 50-60 around 40 mph in 6th... or shift to 3rd, pull 24.5# of boost and get to the other side of 80 mph quickly. Or... keep it in 6th, give it even just 1/2 throttle... catch a wave of torque that will let it accelerate decently, though no where near as good as downshifting to where the power is... and likely slip the clutch.

I launch the car somewhat aggressively now and then. I've done no lift shifting sparing but now and then just for fun. I don't drive it gentle. I do, however... drive it in such a manner to let it be efficient where it should be... and accelerate where it does it best, without putting undue stress on the clutch or the rest of the powertrain. Whether I run it on map 1 or map 3... I still always get to decide what the car does with my right foot. I just don't want to have to push buttons on the steering column to get me, what is normally map 3, which gives 24.5#. If I want less boost... I'll push down on the pedal less. When I floor the car I don't ever want any less than all the car has to offer.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have been looking at PRLs Snow White thread and a few others but haven't flund something... not sure if it exists ...

Does anyone know it there's a before after dyno with this tune using the stock intercooler vs an aftermarket option? I'd assume Snow White's improvements would be a good deal more running this vice the stock tune they were running. Closest I could find was the TSP stage 2 comparing the TSP provided dynos and another car that had a CAI and aftermarket intercooler.

Deleted member 32006

@Two Step Performance - I know we can disable rev hang. But does the tune allow the user to adjust the Rev Hang's throttle padding as well? Sorry if this was already asked.

upload_2019-6-20_7-43-48.png
Could you elaborate on the difference between the rev hang and the throttle padding?
Sorry for the noob question. Just got a Si last week :fear:

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
How long does it takes normally to receive the tune from them? I've sent an email yesterday at 10AM with my order number and KTuner serial number and still nothing..

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Could you elaborate on the difference between the rev hang and the throttle padding?
Sorry for the noob question. Just got a Si last week :fear:
Rev Hang is when the drive-by-wire throttle is left momentarily open, even when your foot is completely off the throttle. Throttle position = 0, throttle position commanded = >0. It will keep your RPMs slightly higher between shifts, but it gives a laggy and unresponsive feeling to some.

Eliminating Rev Hang makes things a bit jerkier though. You are going from high boost to high vacuum pretty suddenly, so when you get back on the throttle when shifting into the next gear, it feels a bit harsher.

Throttle padding helps mitigate the jerkiness by modulating throttle response, giving you the snappiness of no rev hang but restoring some smoothness. Ranking the padding from most to least, Standard > Medium > Soft. So Soft is the least padded (harshest). Weird way of writing it.

http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/disable_rev_hang.htm

http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/throttle_padding.htm

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Throttle padding helps mitigate the jerkiness by modulating throttle response, giving you the snappiness of no rev hang but restoring some smoothness. Ranking the padding from most to least, Standard > Medium > Soft. So Soft is the least padded (harshest). Weird way of writing it.

http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/disable_rev_hang.htm

http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/throttle_padding.htm
I believe it's the other way around.

Some testers noted that the aggressive on/off throttle without any rev hang was a bit much for their driving style, so we've also included a new Throttle Padding Quick Adjustment which allows for a medium and soft throttle padding setting beyond the standard one.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/ktuner-its-official-rev-hang-defeated.14207/

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan (SOLD), 2021 GTI Autobahn
Country flag
Has anyone found that downshift rev matching is harder/different with this tune? I feel like in map 1 I clutch in, punch the throttle, downshift and clutch out and I'm good to go but in map 3 when I punch the throttle I don't get the revs unless I give it a little double tap.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I nearly exclusively use map 3, haven't had any problems downshifting - and I go all the way to 1st quite regularly. over 30k miles, still on the stock fluid and clutch.

samuray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Cbr600rr, 2016 civic LX, 2019 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Whats roughly the turn around receiving the tune? I was waiting all day and I got an updated from ordered to "shipped" corey replied emailed but I haven't received any email at all.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Whats roughly the turn around receiving the tune? I was waiting all day and I got an updated from ordered to "shipped" corey replied emailed but I haven't received any email at all.
A matter of hours to a couple of days depending on the time of day and what day (i.e. weekend/holiday). I got mine same day within a few hours. Usually they’re pretty quick about it. I’d reach out to them as I’d figure today (Monday) would be a normal business day.

samuray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Cbr600rr, 2016 civic LX, 2019 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A matter of hours to a couple of days depending on the time of day and what day (i.e. weekend/holiday). I got mine same day within a few hours. Usually they’re pretty quick about it. I’d reach out to them as I’d figure today (Monday) would be a normal business day.
thank, i received it lol. i was using my phone and it was in my junk

Valenzx

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
TSP Stage 1 Tune for the 2017+ Civic Si.png

This has been in the works for a long time and we are very excited about it! Two Step Performance has partnered with Derek Robinson to offer a high quality Stage 1 tune for the 2017+ Civic Si that offers an additional 55 whp and 76 ft lbs of torque in comparison to the factory ECU calibration! No supporting mods are required. We also offer support for the PRL Cobra Race MAF housing at no additional charge!

Please see the full details on our site: https://twostepperformance.com/products/tsp-stage-1-tune-for-2017-honda-civic-si
Do you happen to have a tune or beta Stage 1 tune for the 2020 ECU? I ordered the Ktuner V2 from your store and received it fast, thanks. Ktuner was able to give me the beta software to get me flashed but I can't load the Stage 1 tune you guys sent.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Do you happen to have a tune or beta Stage 1 tune for the 2020 ECU? I ordered the Ktuner V2 from your store and received it fast, thanks. Ktuner was able to give me the beta software to get me flashed but I can't load the Stage 1 tune you guys sent.
You have a 2020 and already tuned it? As a rule of thumb I think it's a good idea to go at least a few thousand miles before tuning.
Sponsored