Turbo Spool rate question

Keropi76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
Question for ktuner users, what is the Spool rate setting that you are using. At the moment I'm at rate II and wondering if there is much difference with the no ramp option and if it can shorten the lifespan of the turbo?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
As far as disabling boost ramp it will change the feel of the tune drastically. I'm not sure how realistic it is using that on a daily driver and I'm sure it's not great in terms of clutch wear and tear on your Si.

OP
OP
Keropi76

Keropi76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
As far as disabling boost ramp it will change the feel of the tune drastically. I'm not sure how realistic it is using that on a daily driver and I'm sure it's not great in terms of clutch wear and tear on your Si.
the boost target ramp rate setting under quick adjustment

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Keropi76

Keropi76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
I can understand that the cvt might not be able to handle it, but for the manual cars I'm wondering about the impact on the turbo and the rest. I tried the car with the "aggressive - disable ramp" and it was fun :spaz:

OP
OP
Keropi76

Keropi76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
So.... does anybody have this setting (boost target ramp rate) set to agressive disable ramp and if so for how long any issues?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I ran it for several months before I went for the TSP Stage 1 tune a bit over a year ago. Maybe 3-4000 miles total and 6 months. Had no issues at all. 15k of the 17.5k total miles my car has on it has had it running some variation of a basemap or the TSP tune. When I first did the basemaps, I did the 21# one with the adjustments on the next to aggressive setting. I was on 23# with everything on the most aggressive within a matter of weeks. I was mostly just putting my toe in the water to see how the car responded and it's always been just fine.

I did modify the basemaps at one point to add extra timing, but held the boost target at 21# a bit longer to flatten the torque peak. I don't think it would have mattered one way or the other. The TSP Stage 1 has a lot more midrange torque than any basemap and it's ran it just fine.

OP
OP
Keropi76

Keropi76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
I ran it for several months before I went for the TSP Stage 1 tune a bit over a year ago. Maybe 3-4000 miles total and 6 months. Had no issues at all. 15k of the 17.5k total miles my car has on it has had it running some variation of a basemap or the TSP tune. When I first did the basemaps, I did the 21# one with the adjustments on the next to aggressive setting. I was on 23# with everything on the most aggressive within a matter of weeks. I was mostly just putting my toe in the water to see how the car responded and it's always been just fine.

I did modify the basemaps at one point to add extra timing, but held the boost target at 21# a bit longer to flatten the torque peak. I don't think it would have mattered one way or the other. The TSP Stage 1 has a lot more midrange torque than any basemap and it's ran it just fine.
Thanks for the info, I have the TSP stage also but I am keeping it in my back pocket for when I'll get bored with the car which tends to happen fast in my caseo_O

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the info, I have the TSP stage also but I am keeping it in my back pocket for when I'll get bored with the car which tends to happen fast in my caseo_O
I'm sort of the same way. Broke the car in. Bored. Reflashed to 21#, mild enables. Bored. 23# moderate enables. Bored. 23# maxed out then started tweaking. Wanted more top end. TSP Stage 1.

While the heat of the summer really knocks down the power a bit... when it's cool out... it's about perfect. I have the OEM summer tires and I've hurting for traction off the line until I'm in 3rd, even with the 18# BBG setting that 1st has. I've been running it for a year now and, well... more power is always nice... but, to me, it's about as much power (again, in the cooler weather) that the car feels like it should have to still be able to play the 'slow car being driven fast' game. Much more and the car would be getting so fast I think it'd be unbalanced and you'd not be able to really push it on the street w/o drawing negative attention.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Charles, did you ever update and try out the Advanced VSA quick adjustment? Might help with your traction issues.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Charles, did you ever update and try out the Advanced VSA quick adjustment? Might help with your traction issues.
Y'know. I haven't. When something sort of works, I tend to not mess with it... not that's a better excuse other than I'm too lazy to spent the 10 minutes total it's take to update the program and reflash.

I'll get around to it before what little winter we have here in GA. Right now, I'm having zero traction issues given the ~90F ambients we've been having.

ONEPNT5.Si

First Name
Dustyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FC1 Si
Country flag
Y'know. I haven't. When something sort of works, I tend to not mess with it... not that's a better excuse other than I'm too lazy to spent the 10 minutes total it's take to update the program and reflash.

I'll get around to it before what little winter we have here in GA. Right now, I'm having zero traction issues given the ~90F ambients we've been having.
It made a world of difference for me on TSP Stage 2 and the stock tires. Not so much now that I run Michelin PS4S, but we'll see if I end up needing it again when I go big turbo soon.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It made a world of difference for me on TSP Stage 2 and the stock tires. Not so much now that I run Michelin PS4S, but we'll see if I end up needing it again when I go big turbo soon.
How's that's Stage 2 treating you? I've thought about going flex fuel and trying it out one of these days as it seems to be the next logical upgrade if staying on the stock turbo. It looks like a mid-range monster. I just kind of got satisfied with stage 1 and haven't messed around with anything else in quite a while.

ONEPNT5.Si

First Name
Dustyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FC1 Si
Country flag
How's that's Stage 2 treating you? I've thought about going flex fuel and trying it out one of these days as it seems to be the next logical upgrade if staying on the stock turbo. It looks like a mid-range monster. I just kind of got satisfied with stage 1 and haven't messed around with anything else in quite a while.
I loved it initially. But as always, I got used to the power level and now I'll be chasing more as soon as I return from this deployment.
Honestly, TSP Stage 2 and a PRL PnP flex fuel kit (Now that they've fixed the initial issues) is the way to go if you're looking for a more fun car.
Ethanol REALLY wakes these cars up. It became a completely different car.
Just be advised, if you enjoy and drive the shit out of your car (Who doesn't?), you will eventually need a new clutch (Mine started slipping in 4th-6th after about 3 months).
My recommendation is to go with Eman's CTR retrofit if you can swing it. I have no issues or regrets with mine.
Get on the list as soon as possible because he usually sells the batches before they're even completed.

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
I loved it initially. But as always, I got used to the power level and now I'll be chasing more as soon as I return from this deployment.
Honestly, TSP Stage 2 and a PRL PnP flex fuel kit (Now that they've fixed the initial issues) is the way to go if you're looking for a more fun car.
Ethanol REALLY wakes these cars up. It became a completely different car.
Just be advised, if you enjoy and drive the shit out of your car (Who doesn't?), you will eventually need a new clutch (Mine started slipping in 4th-6th after about 3 months).
My recommendation is to go with Eman's CTR retrofit if you can swing it. I have no issues or regrets with mine.
Get on the list as soon as possible because he usually sells the batches before they're even completed.
I'm waiting on my retrofit also! I am mad excited. I had to bug the crap out of him for like 2 weeks before he could get to me. I should have mine in the next couple weeks. I am going to get everything I can out of this stock clutch before I rip that crap out. I may look into the PRL flex fuel kit after W1 turbo. I feel like I want the turbo first.
Sponsored