luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
@davemarco when you say you're tuned, do you mean custum tuned or ots tune?

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
TSP Stage 1. If it helps your comparison, I've been going back and forth between a fully decked out 21 psi basemap and the TSP Stage 1 for some time. The TSP map definitely has an intentionally dampened low end compared to a basemap with early spool, no boost dampening, etc. So when I mention that the stock R feels similar to the TSP tune, I mean that it is closer to this dampened low end feel than to the low end woosh of the maxed out basemap.

luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
@davemarco i am setup same way as you, fbo with tsp stage 1. i think this car is awesome. at first i was very disappointing and even considered a vw gti instead. i was very let down by the effort that the tiny 1.5t has to do to achieve power but after all these mods and the tune i have to say i'm liking it even more. i have gone up against muscle cars and cars with 300 hp out of the factory and my Si does not disappoint. I plan on doing ethanol soon, and hopefully the w1 down the road or one of the prl big turbo kits. I think the ctr is definitely worth every penny but for me it's boy racer appearance does not bold well for a daily. there are days where i just wanna cruise and go about my business. you can't do that with the ctr. everyone wants to race you not to mention that you'll always feel like you're in a track car. Because you're in a track car :)

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
@davemarco i am setup same way as you, fbo with tsp stage 1. i think this car is awesome. at first i was very disappointing and even considered a vw gti instead. i was very let down by the effort that the tiny 1.5t has to do to achieve power but after all these mods and the tune i have to say i'm liking it even more. i have gone up against muscle cars and cars with 300 hp out of the factory and my Si does not disappoint. I plan on doing ethanol soon, and hopefully the w1 down the road or one of the prl big turbo kits. I think the ctr is definitely worth every penny but for me it's boy racer appearance does not bold well for a daily. there are days where i just wanna cruise and go about my business. you can't do that with the ctr. everyone wants to race you not to mention that you'll always feel like you're in a track car. Because you're in a track car :)
I'm still 100 percent stock and not disappoint in the least. If I need the extra vroom, sports mode does it for me. I don't race so the power it gives me is sufficient. When you start boosting over 21 psi, you are putting extra pressure on your clutch, rods and pistons, although Honda says they have tested this engine up to 300hp. You are lucky you did not get the vw gti. I owned several vw's... You would have been getting intimate with a mechanic

luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
@amirza786 hahaha that's funny, yeah it's not the first time I hear that. But i do like the looks of the gti or golf r. in other words i like the hatchbacks. too bad Honda decided not to do a hatchback Si. I think it would have been a killer look. they would have sold tons of those but oh well. I'm starting to learn to drive my Si. after 10 months of ownership i have to say it's been hard adjusting to forced induction. the boost comes in pretty good at a certain rpm and the power band is very short so definitely a big departure from n/a engines. But i'm learning every day how to get the power out of the Si without sweating about when to shift :)

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
@amirza786 hahaha that's funny, yeah it's not the first time I hear that. But i do like the looks of the gti or golf r. in other words i like the hatchbacks. too bad Honda decided not to do a hatchback Si. I think it would have been a killer look. they would have sold tons of those but oh well. I'm starting to learn to drive my Si. after 10 months of ownership i have to say it's been hard adjusting to forced induction. the boost comes in pretty good at a certain rpm and the power band is very short so definitely a big departure from n/a engines. But i'm learning every day how to get the power out of the Si without sweating about when to shift :)
I also came from a na Camry SE V6 where the power delivery is very linear and smooth through out the rpm range, I have found that if you throttle the Si slowly instead of going wot boost kicks in much smoother, you will probably only need to go 1/4 down, shift around 4500 rpm and you will be back in a very good power range. Before you know it you will be breaking the speed limit and in the ticket zone!

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Howdy all. I've had my tuned, bolt on SI now for about 1.5 years. It's been an awesome car, but there continue to be some things that bug me about it. The heavy flywheel is frustrating, even with the KTuner rev hang fix. The shifter remains somewhat crunchy no matter how many parts I throw at it. And more than anything, I am terrified that running so much power through this 1.5T will eventually grenade it. With all that in mind, I decided to start looking into getting myself a Type R.

After weeks of looking around, I was finally able to locate a dealership with a used R that would actually let me test drive. For the sake of brevity, I've summarized my impressions below. Please note that this particular used R already had an Injen CAI and some manner of aftermarket downpipe (they didn't know which). They claimed that it was running the stock tune though, which I believe to be true.

Power: Power delivery on the stock R feels similar to the TSP Stage 1, but with a much sharper slope leading into the mid to high end. Low end torque on the R is surprisingly low key. Immediate boost on the R definitely feels dampened compared to an SI KTuner basemap with boost dampening disabled, turbo responsivess maxed out, etc. A 21 psi basemap with maxed settings on my SI immediately kicks me back into my seat, and then begins to tucker out in the upper mid range. By contrast, the stock R has no boost kick (again, it felt much more similar to the TSP Stage 1, which has dampening on). Not sure if a KTuner R brings the boost kick back (probably?), but just my observation. Either way, without the sharp torque hit, the R accelerates deceptively quickly. It's so smooth and low key that you don't even realize how fast you're going until you look down and realize that the answer is "too fast".

Handling: Handling on the R feels like a direct evolution of the handling on the SI. If the SI's handling is an 8, the Type R's handling would be a 12. It's actually scary at times how rock solid it is. I took a wide looping curve of an off ramp in the R at 90 mph, and felt like I was doing 30. Zero body roll, zero understeer. Honestly I think that I could've hit 100 mph without issue. For comparison, I tried the same curve in my SI immediately after. I felt body roll begin to kick in at around 70 mph, and would not have been comfortable continuing to push it based on the feedback that the tires were giving me. Even if that delta is partially based on the quality of the rubber, the chassis and suspension superiority of the R is very significant. It was eerie how slow I felt going 80 mph in a straight line in the R. I've always complimented the high speed stability of the SI, but this just felt like it was on another level.

Clutch/Flywheel: Flatout - the clutch and single mass flywheel combo on the R is light-years better than the DMF and crappy SI clutch. Before my SI, I had a 5th Gen Prelude. Even with the factory DMF on that car, the revs would instantly plummet when you stepped on the clutch. After that, getting used to the insane rev hang on the SI was a nightmare. I think that we can all agree that even with the KTuner fix, the revs still take eons to come down thanks to the heavy DMF. After getting used to driving with this for over a year, I was shocked when I initially went to shift into 2nd gear in the R and found the car jerking as the revs jumped up to match my slow shift. In disbelief, I went to shift to 3rd, and watched with glee as the revs on the R plummeted like a boulder the instant I stepped on the clutch - exactly like the Prelude. Real shifting again, at long last! The pedal definitely had more heft to it, and while the biting point is easier to find than the one on the SI, it does still carry some of the vagueness that I find is characterstic with Honda clutches. Overall though, a way, way better experience. This is the clutch that the SI was meant to have, and screw Honda for ever switching us over to the DMF.

Other miscellaneous notes: The shifter on the R felt much less crunchy than the one in the SI. Since I'm basically running the entire R assembly, shift knob, and solid bushings, the only thing left to attribute the delta to would be the transmission. Much better on the R.

The engine note on the R was much deeper, but suprisingly much quieter than the SI, even with both cars running CAI's.

I missed the Lanewatch on my SI immediately. It's amazingly useful, and I'm already looking into the difficulty associated with importing a right sided mirror from a Canadian R and wiring it in once I pull the trigger. The blind spots on the R were better than those on the SI Coupe, but not much.

Love the Alcantera. Driving home afterwards with my SI's sandpaper arm rest made me sad. :(

Overall, I would say that I'm sold on the R. I have zero complaints about my SI though. It's been a great car.
Wait so no US Type R's have lane watch??

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sti, 2019 Si, Fr-S, 350z, Evo X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For the money I fully would recommend an awd Rally car, or R32 (the sense of luxury in that thing was incredible).

That being said, I love the look of the Type R, just think you need either a much better impression of the stock car, AWD, or a car with a better factory tune.

Btw im getting a ktuner because of you haha. Also I miss my Sti's clutch again now...

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For the money I fully would recommend an awd Rally car, or R32 (the sense of luxury in that thing was incredible).

That being said, I love the look of the Type R, just think you need either a much better impression of the stock car, AWD, or a car with a better factory tune.

Btw im getting a ktuner because of you haha. Also I miss my Sti's clutch again now...
My impression of the stock car went up by a million miles now that I own one and drive it every day. :D

It really is an amazing machine - one I was fortunate enough to get for MSRP. :thumbsup:

Glad that you enjoy your KTuner!

P.S.- I didn't necro this thread all, and am happy to let it die once more.

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sti, 2019 Si, Fr-S, 350z, Evo X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My impression of the stock car went up by a million miles now that I own one and drive it every day. :D

It really is an amazing machine - one I was fortunate enough to get for MSRP. :thumbsup:

Glad that you enjoy your KTuner!
haha just bought it 15 minutes ago, we will see (also got stage one tune)

and thats awesome about your car! I hate my sti more and more with each passing day. Real remorse for giving up Evo.

Do they really just jack up msrp? Id bring #34k cash (after saving) and be like "sale now or I buy an R32, you choose." Works every time. That instant commission too tempting.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
haha just bought it 15 minutes ago, we will see (also got stage one tune)

and thats awesome about your car! I hate my sti more and more with each passing day. Real remorse for giving up Evo.

Do they really just jack up msrp? Id bring #34k cash (after saving) and be like "sale now or I buy an R32, you choose." Works every time. That instant commission too tempting.
I personally didn't have to haggle (I was lucky enough to have a work connection to the GM of the dealer), but from what I've heard, it's just a matter of calling around until you find a dealer willing to do sticker price.

I didn't really care for the 15+ STI, myself. The R pulls harder from a roll, and can handle higher cornering speeds. In my opinion, it's only in the snow or when launching from a standstill that the STI really shines. I do love the sounds it makes though.
Sponsored